Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap: Free Agency, everyone panic!!! Geno talk to the Geno thread only please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Off season time. New thread time apparently cause @Ugene Magic doesn’t like high page counts.

So how about them Malkin and Letang UFAs? Maybe we should sign one or both.

Geno thread. Keep Geno talk here:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ugene Magic

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Burke very clearly said they'll begin the negotiations once they dealt with Letang. :dunno: I don't know how else you want me to read that.

Cool, good thing we spent that money we saved on Malkin for an elite goaltender.

What? We haven't full lost Malkin yet and we have Jarry at 3.5M. Pound for pound that's one of the best contracts in the league. What a weird take.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I honestly must have missed that.
Either way, they established a pecking order (critique that if you want). I probably would have approached it the same way if I was the ownership.
They feel Letang is more valuable than Geno. Geno has a right to be upset about that and take his services elsewhere.
And we have a right to feel like these were things that should have been hammered out months ago. Again, I get waiting to see how Geno did in his return, that's fair. But they could have also signed Letang whenever, like they did Carter. :dunno:

What? We haven't full lost Malkin yet and we have Jarry at 3.5M. Pound for pound that's one of the best contracts in the league. What a weird take.
Nah you said we needed mediocre goaltending which we haven't gotten in 2 years. We did not move to get another depth goalie or a more durable goalie to platoon with in the hopes of keeping a fresh goalie. So I don't think the club sees goaltending as the reason we did not advance as you postulated.

It's what it is, but it's just weird to me to think that there is this one obvious flaw that supposedly everyone sees is the reason we're not the champs of the East as you say, but the organization clearly does not think our goaltending is an issue. The End.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Who is saying that? Drop the hyperbole.

Saying how washed we are is just false. 16 straight* playoffs with no signs of stoppage from this team OR the competition is pretty damn good. Throwing in the towel now would be downright idiotic. We have 3* guys who've been here during that time. It's not like we've signed every cup champ to eternity contracts. The team IS mostly new... and keeps changing. Our problems right now are that GMJR signed/traded for mediocre players to big deals.

My point above is that we could have EASILY been the champs out of the east with mediocre goaltending. I didn't try and blame luck, or Rakell getting injured, or the bottom 6... I mean this exact team nearly went big with 1.5 scoring lines and that's it. That's impressive. You can keep that and shake things up. You don't tear it to the studs because of that. And yeah - we wouldve been stomped by Colorado but what if it were St Louis instead? You just don't lose your cool based on 1 thing. Changes are necessary for sure.
The playoffs are four rounds last I checked. We don't get either Colorado or St. Louis if we get past NYR. We get Round 2.

This team has not been built to win four rounds since, ironically enough, we won four rounds.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I honestly must have missed that.
Either way, they established a pecking order (critique that if you want). I probably would have approached it the same way if I was the ownership.
They feel Letang is more valuable than Geno. Geno has a right to be upset about that and take his services elsewhere.

I think it's a combination of that - and..maybe..

If Letang walked in FA, I think there was a plan on the front office to make DRASTIC moves. The fact they got him for like 6M probably fed into their existing plans. I don't think if Letang signs more they offer Malkin less or visa versa - I think the fact Letang stayed and was low was the only reason they even bothered offering Geno 3-4 years (the whole trio thing). I'm not sure they or new ownership are all that high on him. They haven't been here since the start and have no reason to believe that he'll become some model of health or performance stud late into his 30s. Speculation as is the rest.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
And we have a right to feel like these were things that should have been hammered out months ago. Again, I get waiting to see how Geno did in his return, that's fair. But they could have also signed Letang whenever, like they did Carter. :dunno:

Don't get me started on the Carter deal. They played themselves w/ that one.

Based on what you/Burke said, they used Letang as the bellweather for what's fair to Malkin. Again criticize the pecking order, but the process clearly indicated it was Letang first

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

Nah you said we needed mediocre goaltending which we haven't gotten in 2 years. We did not move to get another depth goalie or a more durable goalie to platoon with in the hopes of keeping a fresh goalie. So I don't think the club sees goaltending as the reason we did not advance as you postulated.

It's what it is, but it's just weird to me to think that there is this one obvious flaw that supposedly everyone sees is the reason we're not the champs of the East as you say, but the organization clearly does not think our goaltending is an issue. The End.

Okay you misread that. I said if we had mediocre this past run....irregardless of the previous seasons. We had an AHL'er in net. With Jarry we spank the Rangers in 5 and continue to roll. with CDS my point stands - as he's mediocre. I'm saying if we had anything OTHER than the AHL'er, we're in much better shape.

Also if anything the CDS signing makes our management group look like studs versus duds. The contracts that average goalies are getting right now would be death knells to these Pens. Can you imagine paying 5M for Murray? 7M for Keumper? 5M for Georgiev?

We have a serviceable tandem (barring injury...like every position) for the price of 1 league-average or below goalie.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Seravelli reported that Marino is the one most likely to be dealt. Nobody really interested in Petterrson’s contract. If they’re going to trade Marino, I feel like we need something more than just cap space coming back to actually feel good about it.
It needs to be an actual valuable asset.

Btw JRs chickens really coming home to roost here. Thanks a lot bro.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Okay you misread that. I said if we had mediocre this past run....irregardless of the previous seasons. We had an AHL'er in net. With Jarry we spank the Rangers in 5 and continue to roll. with CDS my point stands - as he's mediocre. I'm saying if we had anything OTHER than the AHL'er, we're in much better shape.

Also if anything the CDS signing makes our management group look like studs versus duds. The contracts that average goalies are getting right now would be death knells to these Pens. Can you imagine paying 5M for Murray? 7M for Keumper? 5M for Georgiev?

We have a serviceable tandem (barring injury...like every position) for the price of 1 league-average or below goalie.
It's all hypothetical because of course we didn't get any goaltending. :laugh: I'm just saying, if Malkin was not in the plans, then you move him at the end of the season-- get a high pick or a prospect or maybe even a young goalie who's ready to make a push for an NHL net. You improve the area of supposed weakness, you get something back for a player you won't sign, and then you start thinking about what to do with the rest of the fat on the roster.

Instead, we just kind of took the most mediocre path. That's my beef.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Don't get me started on the Carter deal. They played themselves w/ that one.

Based on what you/Burke said, they used Letang as the bellweather for what's fair to Malkin. Again criticize the pecking order, but the process clearly indicated it was Letang first
I mean, I was willing to think that maybe Hextall wasn't being nepotistic with that one but with the way that the other negotiations with Letang and now Malkin have been so acrimonious, it's hard not to see that as some bullshit. :laugh:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Losing both Malkin and Marino because of cap issues is a huge f***ing L if it happens
Why are we losing Marino because of cap issues?

Wouldn't that indicate there are others we have brought it (or want to bring in) that FO believe makes us a better team?

Maybe I'm not following the Marino part...

If it's "Well we can't sign Malkin because we signed Trocheck and Copp" that's a different story.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Instead, we just kind of took the most mediocre path. That's my beef.

Probably splitting hairs, but I wouldn't call it the "most mediorce" path. It's really the path of least resistance.

Prior to this offseason, what moves of significance has this team made? Trading for Kap? Resigning Petts/Marino? Rakell trade. Did any of those moves knock you out of your chair?

For the past 5 seasons or so it's basically: Let Sid/Geno/Malkin lead us to wins. We're going to reshuffle some things around them, but expect the same team

They're really continuing the same approach.
And gun to my head, I bet Malkin re-signs in Pitt. The band is back together for another go-around of 1st round exit excitement.
Feel free to put me on blast if I'm wrong

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Without Marino Ruhwedel becomes our 2nd pair RD and NOBODY should think that’s a good idea. Not Sully, Hextall or Burke. Not happening.

They’ll pay someone or eat salary to take Petts.

Reactions: Hamurai

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
On the trade board earlier today, someone mentioned that during the draft (I assume day 2), the "Penguins GMs (I assume Burke and Hextall) were seen talking for a long time at the Canadiens table." Did anyone else hear this?

Josh Anderson would be a helluva nice piece to acquire. Just saying.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
On the trade board earlier today, someone mentioned that during the draft (I assume day 2), the "Penguins GMs (I assume Burke and Hextall) were seen talking for a long time at the Canadiens table." Did anyone else hear this?

Burke was just trying to find a barn for short-term rental.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

Josh Yohe wrote about it and specifically identified Anderson as a possible person of interest for the Pens

Reactions: Jag68Sid87

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Anderson makes $5.5 million and scored over 20 goals one time in his career, several years ago.

That sounds a whole lot like another mediocre, middle-6 guy making way too much money for the pile that this team's already got.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Burke was just trying to find a barn for short-term rental.
So he can bitch-slap Kevin Lowe?

Anderson makes $5.5 million and scored over 20 goals one time in his career, several years ago.

That sounds a whole lot like another mediocre, middle-6 guy making way too much money for the pile that this team's already got.
Anderson is exactly the big body Malkin could use on his line, and has not really had since Malone and Fedotenko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille