Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap: Free Agency, everyone panic!!! Geno talk to the Geno thread only please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Off season time. New thread time apparently cause @Ugene Magic doesn’t like high page counts.

So how about them Malkin and Letang UFAs? Maybe we should sign one or both.

Geno thread. Keep Geno talk here:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ugene Magic

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't even think they need to trade Zucker this off-season tbh, I'm perfectly fine with going into next year with Carter and Zucker as 2/3 of the 3rd line. You should be able to make a strong enough 2nd line with just trading Pettersson.

Sign one of Balcers or Lindblom to be the 3rd line RW with Carter and Zucker, since I imagine both of those guys would come very cheap, and then use the rest of the money you have to add 2 2nd liners to play with Rakell.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Footage of ERod exploring the market:

grandpa-simpson.gif
He'd probably be mentioned in a report, such as...."day 38 into free agency. There isn't much left, but some players do remain unsigned. Evan Rodrigues for one."

Reactions: StaalForOne

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I believe with the lack of Dman Petts could garner a pick in the 4-5 range I'd guess.

Zucker is tricky but if you retain a mil or so and attach a 2nd. I think a team would take him. Heck throw a 3rd for '24 on there to get it done.
But we don't really need to move both for the sake of the UFA's, we really only need to move one of them. Moving both between now and tomorrow seems a bit ambitious. Agree on MP though.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
We seemingly always these days have a otherworldly excuse as to why we get bounced out in the 1st round. I wonder what the excuse will be in '23.
There are excuses and facts, a starting goaltender would have been nice. Sure we could have won but you can't ignore that

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Zucker has to go. Forget the financials. Guys like Poulin, O'Connor, Zohorna and Puustinen need more opportunities. And then there are a few others who might start nipping at their heels, too...guys like Legare, Svejkovsky, Frasca, Hallander.

Trade Zucker. Do not bring back Rodrigues, Aston-Reese or Simon for the love of all things puck.

We seemingly always these days have a otherworldly excuse as to why we get bounced out in the 1st round. I wonder what the excuse will be in '23.
"Well, to be honest, we underestimated the offensive impact that Evgeni Malkin made for us. That's on me." - former Penguins GM Ron Hextall.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
There are excuses and facts, a starting goaltender would have been nice. Sure we could have won but you can't ignore that
I'm not saying we couldn't have one, but those circumstances are rather fantastic. My point is there always seems to be something extraordinary in the way of us getting out of round one.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Zucker has to go. Forget the financials. Guys like Poulin, O'Connor, Zohorna and Puustinen need more opportunities. And then there are a few others who might start nipping at their heels, too...guys like Legare, Svejkovsky, Frasca, Hallander.

Trade Zucker. Do not bring back Rodrigues, Aston-Reese or Simon for the love of all things puck.

"Well, to be honest, we underestimated the offensive impact that Evgeni Malkin made for us. That's on me." - former Penguins GM Ron Hextall.
Ronny doesn't underestimate anything or anyone. In that particular matter we'll be just fine.

I'm guessing it will be blamed on fans being too negative heading into the season.

Just a guess
I think before the elimination game three or four key guys will come down with some exotic form of food poisoning from their favorite Chinese restaurant.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Here is my issue. Why in the world would we look at 4 first round exits and immediately turn and say "Yeah but sign everyone again because this time it will be different!"

We have common ground. We have a common focus. You already know I want G, Sid, Letang to retire Penguins. But the fan inside of me that just cares about Stanley Cups looks and says "heart be damned... this is results oriented and the results have been stuck in a rut for 4 years."

My mind couldn't be more open to all of this. If players sign - cool. If they walk - cool.
Oh, I agree about the 4 first round exits. You want changes? Do not re-sign Rakell and Rust... or only one of the two. Look for other options. Fine. Trade guys, shake things up. Open cap space to go after a premium FA. Fire the coach. Plenty of things that could have been done.

Letang and Geno? They are a different subject. They earned more respect. They got Letang right. So far, it seems like they have botched Geno.

I know it is a business, but there is smart business and dumb business. If Geno walks, I will be very sad. He is a team legend and considering they decided to stay the course, he should have been prioritized more.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I honestly don't know what the hell with our media some times. I'm reading from Yohe that Rakell "fits like a glove with 87". He's not wrong, but why on earth would anybody think that Rakell is playing with 87? GCR is a lock to be a line. Rakell will be on line 2 barring injuries.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Yes, you need to trade Zucker so a bunch of guys who couldn't even beat out Dominik Simon last year for roster spots can have a roster spot for next year :laugh:
imo only way you trade/dump Zucker is if you have something else in the works and the something else shouldn't be what you mentioned above

I honestly don't know what the hell with our media some times. I'm reading from Yohe that Rakell "fits like a glove with 87". He's not wrong, but why on earth would anybody think that Rakell is playing with 87? GCR is a lock to be a line. Rakell will be on line 2 barring injuries.
Ya, I am not really understanding the thought process either. Ya sure they could switch it up but we pretty much know what is going to be a line and I am fine with that

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Oh, I agree about the 4 first round exits. You want changes? Do not re-sign Rakell and Rust... or only one of the two. Look for other options. Fine. Trade guys, shake things up. Open cap space to go after a premium FA. Fire the coach. Plenty of things that could have been done.

Letang and Geno? They are a different subject. They earned more respect. They got Letang right. So far, it seems like they have botched Geno.

I know it is a business, but there is smart business and dumb business. If Geno walks, I will be very sad. He is a team legend and considering they decided to stay the course, he should have been prioritized more.
Exactly. If you are going to keep the same team together that keeps underachieving, you need to dump the head coach at the very least.

Sully has 9 lives. I love those people saying you can’t keep players based on what they did in the past but it’s okay to keep Sullivan because he used to be a good coach.

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015

"It's a business." "If Geno walks, I will be very sad."

It's either a business or it's not.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Rakell is a far better fit on Sids line and the numbers were really good. That line can drive the team to more wins and be a formidable line in the playoffs. Zucker can be a very good winger as plays a style that is physical and has skill when healthy. He has this year to show he is a top 6 winger and has every incentive to do that. I think a decent center between him and Rust can be a better line than many think. Hextall needs to show he can move the necessary players to gain cap space and create flexibility for FA signings. He landed Letang, Rust and Rakell. He offered Malkin a deal that was what some suggest he would be OK with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad