Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap: Free Agency, everyone panic!!! Geno talk to the Geno thread only please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Off season time. New thread time apparently cause @Ugene Magic doesn’t like high page counts.

So how about them Malkin and Letang UFAs? Maybe we should sign one or both.

Geno thread. Keep Geno talk here:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ugene Magic

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Anderson makes $5.5 million and scored over 20 goals one time in his career, several years ago.

That sounds a whole lot like another mediocre, middle-6 guy making way too much money for the pile that this team's already got.

It's less about the goals and more about making space for Geno or Sid. And potentially punching people in the face since that's what wins in the playoffs lately.

Who said we're losing Marino all of a sudden?

1 poster did and now it's got a mind of it's own. They used it to buffet their position that we're supposedly out of cap space or some other nonsense.

Reactions: bathroomSTAAL

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
And we have a right to feel like these were things that should have been hammered out months ago. Again, I get waiting to see how Geno did in his return, that's fair. But they could have also signed Letang whenever, like they did Carter. :dunno:

Nah you said we needed mediocre goaltending which we haven't gotten in 2 years. We did not move to get another depth goalie or a more durable goalie to platoon with in the hopes of keeping a fresh goalie. So I don't think the club sees goaltending as the reason we did not advance as you postulated.

It's what it is, but it's just weird to me to think that there is this one obvious flaw that supposedly everyone sees is the reason we're not the champs of the East as you say, but the organization clearly does not think our goaltending is an issue. The End.
I don't think the Penguins FO was in any position to significantly map out future strategy months ago, although it can be argued the Carter extension is an exception.

NHL approved the FSG purchase in mid-December, the team was in a playoff race, and the new group was coming to terms with what they just purchased. It was mid-May when FSG asked Hexy to submit a written plan for the future.

I think most dispassionate observers would agree that Letang's situation trumped Malkin's, and required resolution first. I'd like to think Geno is smarter and above having his pride hurt by the timing of these negotiations. He's been in the league 15 years and has to know how these things go. My guess is his agent wants him to get a whiff of FA and maybe luck into a windfall deal that somehow makes playing in Seattle or Arizona or wherever palatable.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
What I am saying is that presenting the option as getting a player now vs a player in 5 years is misleading because it ignores the range of other results that can occur with a pick.

So too is presenting it as spend it to enable a UFA contract now vs spend it on its own at the deadline. You can spend it in a package. You can spend it on snaffling a cap casualty next draft, or now depending on what you want. Etc.etc.

You reckon it's the best use of the 2nd? Fair enough. But that doesn't change the fact that there are a lot more options on what to do with the 2nd. Personally, I would rather keep the pick with the intention of packaging either the pick or the prospect made with it to get a player that'd make a major difference as opposed to the not all that major upgrade on playoff Zucker. The fact we wouldn't be taking on the inflexibility of a UFA contract is part of it too. Truth told, I'm not sure I want to win the bidding war on Kadri at 31 after by far his career year. Kinda noticeable pretty much nobody's ever trusted Burakovsky to play top 6 minutes in the playoffs either.

Of course there are other uses for a 2nd, but we have limited assets in terms of a "major trade". We likely don't have the pieces to get a JT Miller or Patrick Kane, or didn't have the pieces to get Fiala or DeBrincat. That 2nd round pick isn't going to be the deal maker or breaker in that kind of trade. If it is, we should use it and trade for JT Miller TODAY. But if we can't....

The next best thing to get a FOR SURE top quality player is if we can get one of the top 4 or 5 UFA forwards this summer (Kadri, Copp, Burakovsky, Trochek). If we did get one of those guys, because they are UFAs, they would have cost certainty for the duration of their contract.

If we are shopping at the deadline for that "missing piece", that is not a bet I want to make. Firstly, it costs way more to trade for guys at the deadline because that's when prices are always highest (see Chiarot, or Brandon Hagel, etc.). Second, the players that are traded are usual rentals and wouldn't be here for a long time.

Thirdly, and most important, we don't even know WHO will be available later on, OR if we'll be the team that wins that trade sweepstakes. So this is a case of a "bird in the hand" being more valuable. If we know that we want Kadri or Copp or Burakovsky for X years, and we can sign them tomorrow but we have to then give up a 2nd to get rid of Zucker, that is a much safer bet, much better value, and much more of a sure thing than saving that asset for a deadline or later trade deal when we don't even know what's behind Door #2 and may not win that trade sweepstakes. It's just a bad bet vs. locking in a guy long term now.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's less about the goals and more about making space for Geno or Sid. And potentially punching people in the face since that's what wins in the playoffs lately.

1 poster did and now it's got a mind of it's own. They used it to buffet their position that we're supposedly out of cap space or some other nonsense.
I think Anderson's a solid enough player. I just don't want this team to keep going for solid enough players, since the last few solid enough players have been extremely mediocre or downright bad.

Hell, I liked Rakell a lot. I don't think I'd have signed him to a 6 year, $30 million deal though. :laugh:

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Petts for Anderson

We take on more $ and term for the better player

Montreal swap Anderson a for more manageable contract and gets a fill for Romanovs spot

maybe a pick or prospect involved too but reasonable base for a deal there.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
On the trade board earlier today, someone mentioned that during the draft (I assume day 2), the "Penguins GMs (I assume Burke and Hextall) were seen talking for a long time at the Canadiens table." Did anyone else hear this?

Josh Anderson would be a helluva nice piece to acquire. Just saying.
I'd take that with a huge grain of salt.

Reporters (I think it was Yohe, specifically), saw Hextall and Canadiens GM Kent Hughes talking for a while on the draft floor, and then jumped to the conclusion that it was about a potential trade, and from there, speculated that it might be Josh Anderson.

Meanwhile, they conveniently forgot that Hughes used to be Letang's agent, whom Hextall had just officially signed to a 6 year deal.

Draft floor conversations aren't always about business, folks :laugh:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Serevalli said Marino is more likely to be traded out of any of the pieces like 3 hours ago.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
So he can bitch-slap Kevin Lowe?

Anderson is exactly the big body Malkin could use on his line, and has not really had since Malone and Fedotenko.
And Zucker's a real two-way buzzsaw. And Kap's a lethal force on the breakaway like Grabner. And at one time Rakell scored 30+ goals in two consecutive seasons.

Reactions: Hamurai

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
I'd take that with a huge grain of salt.

Reporters (I think it was Yohe, specifically), saw Hextall and Canadiens GM Kent Hughes talking for a while on the draft floor, and then jumped to the conclusion that it was about a potential trade, and from there, speculated that it might be Josh Anderson.

Meanwhile, they conveniently forgot that Hughes used to be Letang's agent, whom Hextall had just officially signed to a 6 year deal.

Draft floor conversations aren't always about business, folks :laugh:

Hughes: How was lunch? Where'd you go, PF Chang's? Qdoba?

Hextall: I'm not sure where they went.

Hughes: Well what did you eat?

Hextall: It's all in my head.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Why are we losing Marino because of cap issues?

Wouldn't that indicate there are others we have brought it (or want to bring in) that FO believe makes us a better team?

Maybe I'm not following the Marino part...

If it's "Well we can't sign Malkin because we signed Trocheck and Copp" that's a different story.
Pens are trying to change their cap structure, and are trying to move Pettersson, Zucker or Marino if they have to. Seravalli just said Marino is the most likely from what he understands.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
On the trade board earlier today, someone mentioned that during the draft (I assume day 2), the "Penguins GMs (I assume Burke and Hextall) were seen talking for a long time at the Canadiens table." Did anyone else hear this?

Josh Anderson would be a helluva nice piece to acquire. Just saying.
DK reported that they were discussing Petry of all people. He fully acknowledged that was a wild and nonsensical notion, but that's what his source was reporting. I guess if you were looking at some drastic reshuffling that sent Marino out, there are worse moves to make than adding Petry to replace him. Maybe JT Miller is the Malkin backup planx and Marino had to be included to do it?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
DK reported that they were discussing Petry of all people. He fully acknowledged that was a wild and nonsensical notion, but that's what his source was reporting. I guess if you were looking at some drastic reshuffling that sent Marino out, there are worse moves to make than adding Petry to replace him. Maybe JT Miller is the Malkin backup planx and Marino had to be included to do it?

If we're getting Miller, Marino is the centerpiece. That is very clear.

Andy P

Dec 21, 2018
Per Eklund a little bit ago..

1657658068054.png

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
the thing I hate most is if sullivan out last Geno.

Dude has been one of the leading causes for this teams problems for the last 3+ years

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
the thing I hate most is if sullivan out last Geno.

Dude has been one of the leading causes for this teams problems for the last 3+ years
Sullivan's gonna outlast Sid and Letang too. popcorn.gif

This team's less interested in making changes and competing than anybody on HFboards is. Don't know how people don't get that after the 4th year in a row of no real changes or improvement--other than a pending Geno departure due in large part to him being a pissbaby over an extra year of term he'll never play anyway.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Sullivan's gonna outlast Sid and Letang too. popcorn.gif

This team's less interested in making changes and competing than anybody on HFboards is. Don't know how people don't get that after the 4th year in a row of no real changes or improvement--other than a pending Geno departure due in large part to him being a pissbaby over an extra year of term he'll never play anyway.

I don’t think sullivan out last Sid. When you rebuild you hire a cheap coach that sure isn’t sully. I think they go together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille