Post-Game Talk: Pens/Sabres: A full 60 minutes of great Penguins hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I constantly laugh to myself at the repeated critique of Trotz. He's what, the organizations 9th dman?? Dude has been more than fine, in fact, he's been a stud and has helped this team mightily during this good stretch of games.

Cheers to you Trotz

True true, he really has done a nice job for our 9th defenseman. We really do have solid depth with defenseman. Still can’t wait to see Letang because that defense is going to look really strong when he gets back. The way the other pairings are playing I think Maatta is going to have to wait until injury to play during the playoffs. Can very easily see him traded this summer after we win our 6th Cup with this D.:naughty:

Reactions: John Titor

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I was thinking Phil as degenerate Denzel.

Fine.

Cop and a Half?

Cops and Robbersons?

Actually, I like that second one . . . a real cop and a wanna be cop. :popcorn:

I'm thinking Phil is Snoop in the wheel chair.

Reactions: KIRK

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I guess I had a different take on this game then most. I didn’t see great effort, especially in the first. And we still won 5-0. Didn’t get frustrated, waited for the first goal and then took advantage of other opportunities. Played with structure. This win was impressive, but not because of effort, because you have to love getting an easy win based on sound structure in a trap game with so many divisional games left.

To play good structured hockey for 60 minutes is a huge effort mentally for this team. They were patient, played smart and waited for the chances to come. I get excited by that because I think our cup chances look better when we play like that. Physically I thought he effort was there too.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I guess I had a different take on this game then most. I didn’t see great effort, especially in the first. And we still won 5-0. Didn’t get frustrated, waited for the first goal and then took advantage of other opportunities. Played with structure. This win was impressive, but not because of effort, because you have to love getting an easy win based on sound structure in a trap game with so many divisional games left.

Buffalo was playing a 1-3-1 trap from the start..I mean I guess it took some effort to break through that. But Buffalo isnt a bad team imo, they play in a tough division. And they might be a year or two away of breaking out.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
Our schedule doesnt get any easier until the last 3 games so we will be in playoff mode the rest of the way. Rather it be that way...tested going in.

Our schedule remaining is one of the easiest out of all teams. Outside of the two games against the Canes we really don’t have much to worry about.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
a6b0e48614e0dcdb3fa1d9af20259071.gif

I heart Tom Hanks but he ran his course.
anigif_enhanced-11909-1427289789-2.gif

One does not simply replace Tom Hanks

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
+ this is a legitimately good hockey team.

Took a lot of moves by JR but I feel like we're finally there. Fixing the depth with Mccann and Bjugstad has done wonders, and Gudbranson is playing better than anyone could have hoped for.

pokey10

Neat
Apr 26, 2016
Pittsburgh
1. Rust slides into L2 LW without missing a beat and he and Geno pick up where they left off with the Tampa win.
2. Phil realizes preseason is over and lays it all out there.
3. Letang comes back and the team's collective commitment to defense doesn't waver.

@ColePens, IF those things happen, then we could be talking about more than the Pens just being a 'true dangerous threat'.

EDIT: I will add this again . . . L1 has crystallized. L3 has crystallized. IF L2 crystallizes when Rust returns, then I sincerely believe that we're talking the most cohesive top 9 since the 2016 cup run.

Three words. Zach. Aston. Reece. [/s]

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
or maybe:

"Cole doesn't like Ice Cream

Phil doesn't like backchecking

Pittsburgh Penguins Stanley Cup Playoffs 2019

We don't like it"

"Cole doesn't like Ice Cream

Jim Rutherford doesn't like Daniel Sprong

Pittsburgh Penguins Stanley Cup Playoffs 2019

We don't like it"

you get the idea

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
@KIRK

How crazy is it that we begged for puck moving d and the players we got that fit that role are..

# 1: a 22 year old #6 in Anaheim we move our best forward prospect since Jake for.

And

# 2: the worst statistical defenseman in the last two years for a decent forward we got for playoff hero Carl Hagelin.

Perfect proof that Rutherford has no f***ing idea what he is doing.

Johnson still sucks.

Dumo - Letang
Maatta - Schultz
Pettersson - Gudbranson

Is a sexy mix.

Reactions: Peat

HornyHags

May 13, 2017
People focus on McCann and Bjugstad. If Gudbranson continues to play this uptempo, puck moving game with Petts. That is absolutely exactly what this team needed and honestly was our biggest need.

I will lose my s**t if he gets bumped from the lineup so Maatta can play.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It should be JJ. Judging by his TOI the last couple games I wouldn’t be surprised it is.
Maatta has the better hockey IQ but his skating is terrible. JJ has played better of late but that in and of itself isn't saying much. And his hockey IQ is well, not good. Tough call.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Maatta has the better hockey IQ but his skating is terrible. JJ has played better of late but that in and of itself isn't saying much. And his hockey IQ is well, not good. Tough call.

Maatta has been a perfectly acceptable bottom pairing / # 4 for us in two cup runs. One where he was playing with broken down Daley.

No problem with him in place of JJ.

Reactions: Peat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: