Post-Game Talk: Pens/Sabres: A full 60 minutes of great Penguins hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
I am so happy for DeSmith, he has had some rough games after New Year but he was also hung out to dry so many times by the defence, he deserved a game like this where both he and the D played well and got a shutout. The PP's return to form could be huge if it lasts. We didn't become frustrated by the Sabres trap, took the lead and never looked back. Bjugstad, Simon and Horny complement each other so well, Bjugstad would be 6+ million a year player if he shot release wasn't so slow and he was nearly as a physical as a guy his size can be but he is still very useful. Gudbranson confidently going below the net in the offensive zone or coming back to catch Sheary is jaw-dropping but very welcome too.

fragmag

Mar 4, 2011
Pittsburgh
What a great game. Can't believe how good they looked. Think my favorite play was Gud cleared Sheary from in front of the goal.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I am so happy for DeSmith, he has had some rough games after New Year but he was also hung out to dry so many times by the defence, he deserved a game like this where both he and the D played well and got a shutout. The PP's return to form could be huge if it lasts. We didn't become frustrated by the Sabres trap, took the lead and never looked back. Bjugstad, Simon and Horny complement each other so well, Bjugstad would be 6+ million a year player if he shot release wasn't so slow and he was nearly as a physical as a guy his size can be but he is still very useful. Gudbranson confidently going below the net in the offensive zone or coming back to catch Sheary is jaw-dropping but very welcome too.

He made some really nice saves late in the 2nd and 3rd where he could have totally lost concentration since the game was pretty much out of reach.
That save on Sheary was really something in a scoreless game I believe at the time as well
3rd SO for him this season, not bad at all for a backup goalie!

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Pettersson might struggle in playoff hockey, and if that happens if/when we get there, then yeah sure, throw Maatta in there. If JJ reverts back to ****, Maatta goes into his spot.

Gudbranson, I'm pleasantly surprised. He seems to just make simple passes to get us up ice. His skating is pretty good for his size. And if we make it to a matchup against the Caps, no way he's coming out anyway.

I think part of the reason for Gudbranson's seamless transition here is that we've been forcing lefty's all year into that spot. Having a guy on his forehand more often on the breakout helps big time.

Why would Pettersson struggle where Maatta has succeeded? They're similar-type defensemen but Pettersson is better.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
What a great game. Can't believe how good they looked. Think my favorite play was Gud cleared Sheary from in front of the goal.

Sometimes players like Gudbranson just need a change of scenery on to a winning team
I mean the guy was selected 3rd overall in his draft year
From Florida to a rebuilding Vancouver team, I mean at one point it does suck to play for a draft pick every year as early as November!!!
Hopefully he continues his great play and is motivated by the chance of winning here

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Also, Gudbranson's only 27. It's really not unheard of for defensemen to struggle to put it together and then suddenly "get it" when they're in their mid-20s.

Reactions: Trade

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
7-1-1. Malkin punkin dudes. Florida boys flying. Gudzilla. Pettersson. Love this current team/roster.

GMJR...

giphy.gif

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Why would Pettersson struggle where Maatta has succeeded? They're similar-type defensemen but Pettersson is better.

Because better players have failed to make much playoff impact for whatever reason. Just one of those things.

I'd also worry a tad that maybe being such a stringbean wouldn't play too well when we get to slow moving grinding hockey, although it's not been a huge issue so far.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Yeah, but that was 2017. Maatta in 2018-19 has been rough. Certainly worse than JJ's been in recent weeks, at the very least. There's no reason to make any changes to the blueline setup except for Tanger in once he's healthy, imo.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I think it's worth noting that JJ started looking good when Schultz came back the forwards finally started committing to playing defense. Those are 2 things that Maatta has not had the luxury of having this year. If their situations were reversed, we might very well be talking about what a turnaround Maatta has had this year.

Reactions: NMK11 and Peat

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Olli is better than Petts but if he can add strength and weight this off season, even 10 pounds would really help, it allows for Olli to be traded for picks and cap room. I have suggested Riikola nd Petts can replace Olli and you have 4 million and a good pick/prospect back. Olli at 6-3 205 is much bigger and stronger but would love to see Petts at say 190 with his reach and a mean streak Olli just doesn't have.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I think it's worth noting that JJ started looking good when Schultz came back the forwards finally started committing to playing defense. Those are 2 things that Maatta has not had the luxury of having this year. If their situations were reversed, we might very well be talking about what a turnaround Maatta has had this year.

Letang's and Maatta's return is the huge question mark for me.

Do they buy into the new defensively responsible game or go back to old habits? Does the rest of the team continue to buy in once they do not feel their backs against the wall with three of their top four defensemen out?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
How was Teddy? I see he got an assist.

Decent. Offered good support, made some clever plays. I honestly can't remember how he even factored into that Dumo goal (like, I know he must have given the puck to Malkin, but where and when). Worked hard. The line was solid all night in terms of possession despite a few hiccups from Geno and Phil, so that's good. Got plenty of ice time considering too. I don't think he made the case to stay there when Rust is back, but I'm sure he'll get more looks as injuries occur.

edit: Re the Goal - just rewatched and that was the most vanilla assist ever. He made a big contribution to the goal with his screen though and I think that sort of work is the sort of stuff that'll make Sully happy.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Decent. Offered good support, made some clever plays. I honestly can't remember how he even factored into that Dumo goal (like, I know he must have given the puck to Malkin, but where and when). Worked hard. The line was solid all night in terms of possession despite a few hiccups from Geno and Phil, so that's good. Got plenty of ice time considering too. I don't think he made the case to stay there when Rust is back, but I'm sure he'll get more looks as injuries occur.

edit: Re the Goal - just rewatched and that was the most vanilla assist ever. He made a big contribution to the goal with his screen though and I think that sort of work is the sort of stuff that'll make Sully happy.

Is also the same type of play we’ve seen ZAR make a ton. Rust needs to be there when he’s back.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Rust back, need to spark Geno...cant use rust.

Cullen-Crosby-Bjugstad
Wilson-Malkin-McCann
Jake-Kessel-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blandisi-Simon

Sparks! Spurks! Spuuuuurks!

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I just don't like to mess with a dynamic that's been working just to get Maatta into the lineup. Whenever JJ actually turned the corner and started to improve, the point I'm trying to convey is that things are working. :laugh: Messing around just to mess around potentially throws a wrench in this machine right as we're about to enter the playoffs. Ride it until JJ has a stretch of a couple bad games, I'd say.

With Letang, he's in as soon as he's healthy enough to play simply because he's an incredible player and a cornerstone of our blueline. Maatta's not nearly that caliber of a player. There's no need to force him into someone else's spot.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Letang has been great defensively this year?
Agreed. If anything, I'm worried that guys are gonna see Tanger in the lineup and ease up on their responsibilities. It's pretty apparent, based on our play recently, that the long stretches of bad play over the past couple of years--particularly defensively, both from forwards as well as defensemen--can be attributed to a simple lack of work ethic and laziness. If guys keep playing this way while we swap Letang in for Trotman, I think we're in great shape. If they fall back on their old ways defensively-speaking, assuming Tanger's back and they can let him and Dumo do all the work for 25 minutes a night, we're in trouble again.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->