Post-Game Talk: Pens/Sabres: A full 60 minutes of great Penguins hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillPrep

Jun 2, 2016
Which buddy cop movie is this? 21 jump street or the first lethal weapon?
turnerandhoochincar.jpg

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
This is part of the reason that some of GMJRs trades will seem insane. They run some weird proprietary metrics that may or may not work with real world stats.

I don’t know if Brassard falls in to that category or not. The Brass trade just seemed like it could/should have been the answer to a lot of our problems. But who or what could account for the absolute lack of drive Brassard exhibited.

It was the same as Iginla(diff circumstances) in us " winning " the deadline and getting that big name player but didnt work out. Id say it cost us the 3peat but Kessel was off and injuries to Malkin and Hags. Tho they were back and could have been fine going forward.

Anyway, fast forward to now and this team looks even better than the teams that won it alll imo. Doesnt mean we will...still takes alot to go your way but at least we can look forward to the playoffs and actually be excited about winning it.

10 games left. Keep this going. No more injuries(more risk there than anything else) and get Letang/Rust back without it messing with our chemistry. You wouldn't think it would but who knows. Want them back asap so we can see ...and what needs to be done if something is off.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
And those two had the lowest minutes for the defenseman. How about Pettersson-Gudbranson pairing 1-2 in minutes tonight. I watched Gudbranson closely and he is solid in all facets. I am sorry he has been great for us. Honestly he has been our best defenseman since the trade. His skating, transition game, physical presence and shut down defense tells me he just was in a bad system. If Letang gets back this defense is better than the 2017 Cup team easily. I have to think back of the 2016 pairings but this group might equal that. I believe we will have a top pairing and two 2nd pairings if Letang gets helalthy.

When Rust gets back this team is going to be very complete. Love Bjugstad and McCann also. Rutherford has add 4 very good additions with his trades this year. Turned Brassard, UFA, Sheahan UFA, Hagelin UFA, and Sprong for McCann, Bjugstad, Pettersson, and Gudbranson. That is just insane value.Rutherford’s deals this season has made this team a legit top contender.

People focus on McCann and Bjugstad. If Gudbranson continues to play this uptempo, puck moving game with Petts. That is absolutely exactly what this team needed and honestly was our biggest need.

Reactions: Andy99

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Also love the fact the Caps havent faced us with these new guys while they basically have the same team. McCann, Bjugstad, etc could be rhe difference.. If Hags doesnt ruin it.

Thinking we will see them again in the 2nd round lol

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
This is part of the reason that some of GMJRs trades will seem insane. They run some weird proprietary metrics that may or may not work with real world stats.

I don’t know if Brassard falls in to that category or not. The Brass trade just seemed like it could/should have been the answer to a lot of our problems. But who or what could account for the absolute lack of drive Brassard exhibited.

Sometimes players just aren't a good fit. Even highly skilled players.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I constantly laugh to myself at the repeated critique of Trotz. He's what, the organizations 9th dman?? Dude has been more than fine, in fact, he's been a stud and has helped this team mightily during this good stretch of games.

Cheers to you Trotz

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Phil is neither Ethan Hawke or Denzel. Sid training with Marchand (which he does...) now that guy is far more Evil Denzel.

I was thinking Phil as degenerate Denzel.

Fine.

Cop and a Half?

Cops and Robbersons?

Actually, I like that second one . . . a real cop and a wanna be cop. :popcorn:

Reactions: ChaosAgent

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Craziest thing about Guentzel is how he started his career. Scoring like this in the playoffs before he ever did consistently in the reg season. And now it's carried over to this. While we see players on teams who score like this but come playoff time...nothing.

We know what we are going to get from him.. Look at the guys on Tampa. Wouldn't say they choke come playoff time but losing to the Caps last year not getting the same production? If they fail to win it again...theres gonna be some panic.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Little late to the party but I thought Desmith, Bjugstad, Sid, Phil, Geno, Guds, heck pretty much everyone had solid showings tonight.

And they beat a team they should beat and in decisive fashion.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'll admit, 72 and 12 have really fit with 27. Didnt expect that.

I've been calling Simon and Horny together for a while. I wasn't expecting it to do so well with Bjugs in such a defensive role though.

Really? Because I could have sworn that JR’s trade decisions were made after arbitrarily opening fortune cookies at PF Chang’s...

Ventura has bribed the staff there to slip his recommendations inside the fortune cookies. He knows how this game works.

The Pens are heavily into analytics. Not the kind that I and others keep linking. But in predicting how players would mesh on this team and on certain lines.

They have said that they do not make a trade without them.

I would do dark depraved things to get my hands on those stats. Of course, the fun thing is that's a constantly evolving game too.

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
I guess I had a different take on this game then most. I didn’t see great effort, especially in the first. And we still won 5-0. Didn’t get frustrated, waited for the first goal and then took advantage of other opportunities. Played with structure. This win was impressive, but not because of effort, because you have to love getting an easy win based on sound structure in a trap game with so many divisional games left.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I constantly laugh to myself at the repeated critique of Trotz. He's what, the organizations 9th dman?? Dude has been more than fine, in fact, he's been a stud and has helped this team mightily during this good stretch of games.

Cheers to you Trotz

He got beat a couple times by NHL players, so he’s bad forever.

It happens boss, get with the program and move along.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If Simon could start finishing(more of a playmaker so will get more assists than goals which is fine...alot of our forwards its the opposite) that gives us another solid forward. Completing the top 9 (when Rust is healthy) and 10 if you count Blueger who will hopefully reach full potential as our 4C next year.

Thats not counting ZAR and other guys who are almost ready. And guys who will be in 2 years in Bellerive, etc that have more potential. We really could afford to trade Kessel if we want to. Its risky and we will see how things go these playoffs but you don't want him to fall off before moving him. Also dont want to get worse by moving him..which I dont think will be the case but still has to be the right trade. Really want to see what he does these playoffs. With this line up if he is on top of his game I see no reason we cant win it all.

Just saying its great now that we have all these options opening things up. Wouldn't be possible if not for McCann and Bjugstad.

Long term things look good (although it needs to as there'll be a lot of churn). Short term... short term I'm not super happy about our 13th and 14th forwards for this run. Shouldn't be a big issue, but you never know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad