Post-Game Talk: Pens/Sabres: A full 60 minutes of great Penguins hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Maatta has been a perfectly acceptable bottom pairing / # 4 for us in two cup runs. One where he was playing with broken down Daley.

No problem with him in place of JJ.
TBH I don't know that there is an enviable option here. But I have a hard time believing Sully scratching JJ.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
@KIRK

How crazy is it that we begged for puck moving d and the players we got that fit that role are..

# 1: a 22 year old #6 in Anaheim we move our best forward prospect since Jake for.

And

# 2: the worst statistical defenseman in the last two years for a decent forward we got for playoff hero Carl Hagelin.

Perfect proof that Rutherford has no ****ing idea what he is doing.

Johnson still sucks.

Dumo - Letang
Maatta - Schultz
Pettersson - Gudbranson

Is a sexy mix.

I don't see anything wrong with JJ at the moment. I mean, pretty much no one is a problem aside from Kessel at ES.

I wouldn't f*** with things until need be.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Maatta has been a perfectly acceptable bottom pairing / # 4 for us in two cup runs. One where he was playing with broken down Daley.

No problem with him in place of JJ.
Ehhh, I don't know. The JJ we've seen for the past decade? Sure, absolutely, Maatta over that guy all day. The JJ we've seen since the outdoor game? I think Maatta's, at best, a lateral move there. Worse, if I'm being honest in offering my opinion.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Neither Maatta or JJ will be healthy scratches. Ever.

Gud, pettersson, or riikola will be #6

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Maatta at his best was our team’s # 2 in 2017 through the Caps series.

It’s 2019 though.

I did find some footage of JJ confronting you after he’s played well lately....

giphy.gif

Reactions: Lustaf and Trade

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Because we need to be playing to win and not playing scared.
Why? Absent a historic collapse, we're going to make the playoffs and not face TB in round 1, though I'd be cool with that. Murray has had multiple concussions and such trauma only gets worse with repetition. Remember the results of the outdoor game a couple of weeks ago? Sometimes "playing to win" means being smart and keeping your powder dry.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
Why? Absent a historic collapse, we're going to make the playoffs and not face TB in round 1, though I'd be cool with that. Murray has had multiple concussions and such trauma only gets worse with repetition. Remember the results of the outdoor game a couple of weeks ago? Sometimes "playing to win" means being smart and keeping your powder dry.

Let’s just bench Sid and Geno while we are at it then, can’t risk getting hurt against the Flyers.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Maatta at his best was our team’s # 2 in 2017 through the Caps series.
Yeah, but that was 2017. Maatta in 2018-19 has been rough. Certainly worse than JJ's been in recent weeks, at the very least. There's no reason to make any changes to the blueline setup except for Tanger in once he's healthy, imo.

Reactions: LittleSpoon

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Already stated my view that they should simply run with the pairs(with Tanger in for Trots) they have atm until a guy costs you games.

JJ with his offensive warts is playing the type of PO style D i want in the lineup atm.

I totally get that JJ, MP or Guds can go from good/great to crap quickly but until that happens, i ain't touchin' nothin'.

The other thing is Olli would 100% check in for MP and i absolutely don't wanna bust up what MP-Guds are doing atm NOR put together a JJ-Guds pairing.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Pettersson might struggle in playoff hockey, and if that happens if/when we get there, then yeah sure, throw Maatta in there. If JJ reverts back to shit, Maatta goes into his spot.

Gudbranson, I'm pleasantly surprised. He seems to just make simple passes to get us up ice. His skating is pretty good for his size. And if we make it to a matchup against the Caps, no way he's coming out anyway.

I think part of the reason for Gudbranson's seamless transition here is that we've been forcing lefty's all year into that spot. Having a guy on his forehand more often on the breakout helps big time.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Pettersson might struggle in playoff hockey, and if that happens if/when we get there, then yeah sure, throw Maatta in there. If JJ reverts back to ****, Maatta goes into his spot.

Gudbranson, I'm pleasantly surprised. He seems to just make simple passes to get us up ice. His skating is pretty good for his size. And if we make it to a matchup against the Caps, no way he's coming out anyway.

I think part of the reason for Gudbranson's seamless transition here is that we've been forcing lefty's all year into that spot. Having a guy on his forehand more often on the breakout helps big time.
It is amazing how Gudzilla's presence sort of defangs the spectre of a likely round 2 Caps matchup. He was totally in Wilson's head Tuesday night, even after the final horn. If Kuzy continues to blow chunks for Washington, I really, really like our chances!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Pettersson might struggle in playoff hockey, and if that happens if/when we get there, then yeah sure, throw Maatta in there. If JJ reverts back to ****, Maatta goes into his spot.

Pettersson is likely going to be a beast in the playoffs.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
+DeSmith. He was my biggest question mark going in. He's been iffy his last few starts, so it was nice to see him really on his game tonight. Some really good in close saves when the score was even or the Pens were leading only by 1.

+Sid. What more can you say at this point? He's on fire and creating chances every time he's out there. He's also playing really well in his own zone. Might not be his best offensive season of his career, but this is definitely his best all around season of his career.

+Gudbranson. I didn't like the acquisition when it happened, but he's turning into a solid addition. Physical, plays a simple game in his own zone, and doesn't look out of place joining the attack.

+The Pens as a whole. As the thread title says, they played well for pretty much the full 60 minutes. At no point in time did it seem like Buffalo was a threat to win.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
L3 had 25% offensive zone starts and had no scoring chances against. Also scored a goal.

giphy.gif

Bjugs scored right as I was texting someone that he on his own is exceeding the bare minimum of expectations for Brass this time last year, let alone what McEmptyNetMoney is bringing. What a turnaround - hat tip to ya, gmjr.

I was honestly fully expecting a loss just based on the rollercoaster of last game, plus it being Buffalo, which has been a general head scratcher of a matchup at any given time since I've started following. That pi is real tasty right now :laugh:

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
Let’s just bench Sid and Geno while we are at it then, can’t risk getting hurt against the Flyers.

beep bloop blorp

how many injuries are the flyers responsible for on this team, just since the asg? now think about previous years- I personally loved when Muzz got concussed playing the last and in that case truly meaningless game of the season in 16 in service of this ~swagger you're thumping on about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad