Post-Game Talk: Pens/Sabres: A full 60 minutes of great Penguins hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pettersson lead all skaters in ice time and at 5v5 too. He’s staying in.

Yeah, I think it's really clear that they're not changing the defense unless something catastrophic happens. Gudbranson has been a right handed Ian Cole for the Penguins so far, which is one of 2 perfect fits for that other pair (the other being a physical OFD), and Pettersson and Johnson have been playing excellent in Maatta's absence. Maatta will get in because players will get hurt, but having him as a healthy scratch for reasons that aren't his play is a good thing.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Gudbranson's streak is officially over, he was a negative relCF% player today. What's funny is that he was more noticeably good today than he has been in a lot of those other games. I made comments asking what things Gudbranson does well, I saw those things today when I saw his skating, reach and strength.
Yeah, he was great tonight.

It has become increasingly obvious that corsi is a very narrow metric and not the catchall measurement of how well a player or team plays that people make it out to be. Ironically it reminds me of +/-, which people shit all over.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Guentzel is really good at scoring goals. Specifically, tipping and getting garbage goals. Maybe, just maybe, you should play that guy more on the PP.

He'd be competing with Ovy for the Rocket if he was on the 1st unit.

Super impressive his goal total sans PP time.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
How can it be anything but... Captain Obvious?

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

Should be Doug, cause, everybody loves Tom Hanks!

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
At the risk of adding a little sour note, but when you've got guys getting only 6 minutes of 5v5 ice time in a game that's won by the end of the 2nd, you know the coach doesn't really trust them and its difficult to argue with Sully here. Wilson and Blandisi had some good moments and never hurt us, but they're nobody's weapon of choice. I know they won't be involved if everyone's fit... but that's pretty rare.

Another small sour note - I think the defence didn't do a great job of supporting the attack (Dumo's goal aside) and that's not exactly news. I guess wait and see how it turns out when Maatta's even available, but his skill set would be useful there and at some point life will get more difficult again and the small problems become big problems.

Simon loves guys who create chaos and give him loose pucks to work with, and needs guys who can finish and who can defend strongly. Horny gives you chaos and scoring; he and Simon have always been meant to get time together. Bjugstad's a bit of both plus he has the straight line speed that neither of the wings has. Perfect unit.

I'll admit, 72 and 12 have really fit with 27. Didnt expect that.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Trotman and Dumoulin scored goals in an NHL hockey game. In the same NHL hockey game.

And those two had the lowest minutes for the defenseman. How about Pettersson-Gudbranson pairing 1-2 in minutes tonight. I watched Gudbranson closely and he is solid in all facets. I am sorry he has been great for us. Honestly he has been our best defenseman since the trade. His skating, transition game, physical presence and shut down defense tells me he just was in a bad system. If Letang gets back this defense is better than the 2017 Cup team easily. I have to think back of the 2016 pairings but this group might equal that. I believe we will have a top pairing and two 2nd pairings if Letang gets helalthy.

When Rust gets back this team is going to be very complete. Love Bjugstad and McCann also. Rutherford has add 4 very good additions with his trades this year. Turned Brassard, UFA, Sheahan UFA, Hagelin UFA, and Sprong for McCann, Bjugstad, Pettersson, and Gudbranson. That is just insane value.Rutherford’s deals this season has made this team a legit top contender.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
The one thing I don't want to see is Maatta getting in over Pets/JJ. This defense only needs Letang in for Trots. Ride that son of a *****. That is a solid defensive group! Pets/Gudbranson/JJ are playing VERY well right now.
Yup. We'll need him eventually but for now he can skate and keep strengthening his shoulder until the time comes.

Reactions: ColePens

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The Pens are heavily into analytics. Not the kind that I and others keep linking. But in predicting how players would mesh on this team and on certain lines.

They have said that they do not make a trade without them.

Really? Because I could have sworn that JR’s trade decisions were made after arbitrarily opening fortune cookies at PF Chang’s...

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
At the risk of adding a little sour note, but when you've got guys getting only 6 minutes of 5v5 ice time in a game that's won by the end of the 2nd, you know the coach doesn't really trust them and its difficult to argue with Sully here. Wilson and Blandisi had some good moments and never hurt us, but they're nobody's weapon of choice. I know they won't be involved if everyone's fit... but that's pretty rare.

Another small sour note - I think the defence didn't do a great job of supporting the attack (Dumo's goal aside) and that's not exactly news. I guess wait and see how it turns out when Maatta's even available, but his skill set would be useful there and at some point life will get more difficult again and the small problems become big problems.

Simon loves guys who create chaos and give him loose pucks to work with, and needs guys who can finish and who can defend strongly. Horny gives you chaos and scoring; he and Simon have always been meant to get time together. Bjugstad's a bit of both plus he has the straight line speed that neither of the wings has. Perfect unit.

If Simon could start finishing(more of a playmaker so will get more assists than goals which is fine...alot of our forwards its the opposite) that gives us another solid forward. Completing the top 9 (when Rust is healthy) and 10 if you count Blueger who will hopefully reach full potential as our 4C next year.

Thats not counting ZAR and other guys who are almost ready. And guys who will be in 2 years in Bellerive, etc that have more potential. We really could afford to trade Kessel if we want to. Its risky and we will see how things go these playoffs but you don't want him to fall off before moving him. Also dont want to get worse by moving him..which I dont think will be the case but still has to be the right trade. Really want to see what he does these playoffs. With this line up if he is on top of his game I see no reason we cant win it all.

Just saying its great now that we have all these options opening things up. Wouldn't be possible if not for McCann and Bjugstad.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
The Pens are heavily into analytics. Not the kind that I and others keep linking. But in predicting how players would mesh on this team and on certain lines.

They have said that they do not make a trade without them.

This is part of the reason that some of GMJRs trades will seem insane. They run some weird proprietary metrics that may or may not work with real world stats.

I don’t know if Brassard falls in to that category or not. The Brass trade just seemed like it could/should have been the answer to a lot of our problems. But who or what could account for the absolute lack of drive Brassard exhibited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad