Post-Game Talk: Pens go up in flames on their road to 3 wins. Calgary 5 - Pens 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
- Some fun with stats people may already know the answer to this, but it seems this teams undoing is the second period. Feels like they keep ****ing up in the second when they lose.

They have some ungodly record going into the third with a lead where they have lost something like 1 out of the last 200 games.

Maybe focus a little harder in the second... I dunno, just an idea.

- ZAR was actually winning battles on the boards and looking like a legit bottom sixer. Thought he got screwed on his two calls.

- McCann I dunno... dude seems to lack IQ when he has the puck. Still waiting to see what makes people on here all giddy about him.

- Did TB get hurt or something? I saw ZAR up on his line I swear and didn’t see him the last 7-8 mins...

McCann is a very good defensive player and and can provide his own offense.

Whats not too love. Perfect 3C for this team.

I'd also think about putting McCann with Malkin, because he's like Hags with a better shot and hands. And then sliding TB to 3C. Run,
Guentzel-Crosby-Horny
McCann-Malkin-Bjug
Rust-Blueger-Kessel

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
To early to say Bjugstad sucks? Man he looks awful and he’s got money and term left.

That's what i was warning people about. He's not been good in years. Had a hot month last year...that's it.

Contract ain't so great but moveable....I hope.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
- ZAR was actually winning battles on the boards and looking like a legit bottom sixer. Thought he got screwed on his two calls.

- McCann I dunno... dude seems to lack IQ when he has the puck. Still waiting to see what makes people on here all giddy about him.

- Did TB get hurt or something? I saw ZAR up on his line I swear and didn’t see him the last 7-8 mins...

McCann is still pretty green but he's a playmaker with some defensive accumen and just needs to assert himself more.
Bjugs has to assert himself 10x more tho. That guy can be so much better.
I'd actually make the switch of Blueger to 3C and play McCann on wing for the time being.
They should also probably do the right thing and make:

Jake-Sid-Horny
Rust-G-Phil/Bjugs
McCann-Blueger-Bjugs/Phil

ETA: Or like the post above said and move McCann with G and keep Rust up with Sid if you want.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
You can pretty much put this on goaltending, even considering the defensive lapses. In general, if they tighten things up, they can do some good things. I like L3 and L4, they provided good pressure and did what a bottom six should. Schultz finally gives us a puck mover behind line 2, that should really help them out.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Ignore it like everyone else.

MM literally has nine loses all season, and I just watched MAF implode agt the Leafs for six GA and kick another puck in his net. He’s still a spazz, and still getting lit, but in a bad way.

MAF is the front runner for the Vezina according to a few PGH media people...

Because he leads in wins....lol.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Missed this one. Had to watch the boxscore and highlights.

Obviously lots of discouraging things I could say, I guess. But whatever. I just wanted to mention I appreciated Malkin finally looking a little more like himself (despite yet again logging multiple goals against ES) and especially loved the huge LEGAL hit he laid on Jankowsi shortly before his second goal.

I was afraid maybe his suspension would make him a little gunshy. I've always loved the physical element Malkin brings to the game... I just hate the dirty shit.

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
That's what i was warning people about. He's not been good in years. Had a hot month last year...that's it.

Contract ain't so great but moveable....I hope.

Yea I’m it a fan of trading pending FA in Hagelin, Brassard, Sheahan for guys like Bjugstad and Pearson who have money and term left. If JR isn’t carful his latest moves and the JJ signing might come back to haunt him.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Great bounce back by Geno. He looked like himself for the first time in a long time.

Also have to give a plus to whoever got Geno fired up on the bench after they gave up that odd man. That PP goal felt like a "FU, Jobu! I do it myself" moment.

If I was the league, I'd have Cullen checked for PED's immediately.

Teddy with yet another strong game. It looks like he led both teams in the advanced stats battle.

I really like the bottom 6 right now. Also, this probably won't be popular, but I like Bjugstad. His play on the boards and ability to use his body to buy time with the puck are big pluses for this team. The production will come.

It was a fun game. It actually felt like the old Pens in the 3rd, to the point that I'm actually surprised they didn't tie it up.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
MAF is the front runner for the Vezina according to a few PGH media people...

Because he leads in wins....lol.

That’s swell. And he will implode like always. Just like he did in the cup.

McCann is a very good defensive player and and can provide his own offense.

Whats not too love. Perfect 3C for this team.

I'd also think about putting McCann with Malkin, because he's like Hags with a better shot and hands. And then sliding TB to 3C. Run,
Guentzel-Crosby-Horny
McCann-Malkin-Bjug
Rust-Blueger-Kessel

What’s not to love? I see a fourth liner so far, so a lot I guess.

His inability to dish the puck well is a major issue though... keep hoping to see something from him but...

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yea I’m it a fan of trading pending FA in Hagelin, Brassard, Sheahan for guys like Bjugstad and Pearson who have money and term left. If JR isn’t carful his latest moves and the JJ signing might come back to haunt him.

There are a few risky contracts on this team, IMO.

Not flat out immovable, necessarily. Just risky.

I don't care for this attitude that "they can just be moved whenever with a little sweetener and/or retention." I think it's lazy and wasteful. This team has to be smarter with it's contracts this close to their window, IMO.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
That’s swell. And he will implode like always. Just like he did in the cup.

What’s not to love? I see a fourth liner so far, so a lot I guess.

His inability to dish the puck well is a major issue though... keep hoping to see something from him but...

Really? I've seen a very good player so far.

He's still only 22.

But I think he's been perfect as the 3C.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
There are a few risky contracts on this team, IMO.

Not flat out immovable, necessarily. Just risky.

I don't care for this attitude that "they can just be moved whenever with a little sweetener and/or retention." I think it's lazy and wasteful. This team has to be smarter with it's contracts this close to their window, IMO.

agreed. Seems like every time we make a trade lately we dilute our assets and take on more money and term.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
agreed. Seems like every time we make a trade lately we dilute our assets and take on more money and term.

To hear some tell it, it's not just acceptable but WISE to spend like a drunken sailor without regard for tomorrow when you're within your window. It's one of those things that SOUNDS like the right thing to say until you realize how important young home-grown contributors tend to be to serious contending teams.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'll be honest, I don't get the doom and gloom in here after this game. They were a bounce or an average game by Murray away from at least getting this game to OT. Sure, it sucks to not get any points, but I felt like they had a good game for the most part.

Being a fringe playoff team a lot of the season when expectations are (and should be) much higher tends to put people on edge. But I mean... from what I gather about this game, you're right. In a vacuum this should be one of those losses you build off of. But times-a-wastin, now.

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
To hear some tell it, it's not just acceptable but WISE to spend like a drunken sailor without regard for tomorrow when you're within your window. It's one of those things that SOUNDS like the right thing to say until you realize how important young home-grown contributors tend to be to serious contending teams.

yea '16 and '17 says it all. cheap contracts and injection of youth and energy goes a long way.

im happy with McCann and Blueger so far, hopefully they are the young players that give us a boost down the stretch

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
yea '16 and '17 says it all. cheap contracts and injection of youth and energy goes a long way.

im happy with McCann and Blueger so far, hopefully they are the young players that give us a boost down the stretch

Agreed. Really like both of those guys. Been excited (and frustrated for) Blueger for a while. I'm still kinda at the "wait and see" stage with McCann but he's been very good in his role, so far.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Really? I've seen a very good player so far.

He's still only 22.

But I think he's been perfect as the 3C.

He’s done fine, but aside from a couple power moves, I haven’t seen him create much offense. He’s definitely not reading the boards that well and supporting TB and Hornqvist.

His ability to dish the puck seems lacking as well.

I’m not saying I’m writing him off or anything, I’m just being honest about what I’ve seen so far. I’d like to see him keep that role and TB stay on wing so he can eventually go into the top six... but your third pivot needs to be able to dish the puck well or it’s going to become an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad