Post-Game Talk: Pens go up in flames on their road to 3 wins. Calgary 5 - Pens 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Great bounce back by Geno. He looked like himself for the first time in a long time.

Also have to give a plus to whoever got Geno fired up on the bench after they gave up that odd man. That PP goal felt like a "FU, Jobu! I do it myself" moment.

If I was the league, I'd have Cullen checked for PED's immediately.

Teddy with yet another strong game. It looks like he led both teams in the advanced stats battle.

I really like the bottom 6 right now. Also, this probably won't be popular, but I like Bjugstad. His play on the boards and ability to use his body to buy time with the puck are big pluses for this team. The production will come.

It was a fun game. It actually felt like the old Pens in the 3rd, to the point that I'm actually surprised they didn't tie it up.

Don’t know why people wouldn’t like Bjugstad. He’s been pretty good.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
*clap* *clap* *clap*

*skateskateskateskate...*

Wooooooo!

Carolina is having more fun. The Pens are high stressed and pressured. Bet the farm on the fun Hurricanes stealing the playoff spot.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
He’s done fine, but aside from a couple power moves, I haven’t seen him create much offense. He’s definitely not reading the boards that well and supporting TB and Hornqvist.

His ability to dish the puck seems lacking as well.

I’m not saying I’m writing him off or anything, I’m just being honest about what I’ve seen so far. I’d like to see him keep that role and TB stay on wing so he can eventually go into the top six... but your third pivot needs to be able to dish the puck well or it’s going to become an issue.

Like I proposed. Blueger as the 3C and McCann to Geno's wing would be my ideal line-up

As you stated, Blueger is a better playmaker than McCann with better offensive I.Q

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
*clap* *clap* *clap*

*skateskateskateskate...*

Wooooooo!

Carolina is having more fun. The Pens are high stressed and pressured. Bet the farm on the fun Hurricanes stealing the playoff spot.

Canes are gonna be in the playoffs. No doubt.

CBJ is the team that'll fall out.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Speaking of the Canes I honestly had no idea Jordan Staal was going through the hardships that he is. Feel for the guy. Always had issues with him (or more specifically how fans and the team acted like he was this amazing game-changer) but I never want to see anyone go through all that.

Interesting that they are winning so much without him, though...

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Don’t know why people wouldn’t like Bjugstad. He’s been pretty good.
I don't know, it seems like there are a lot of posts complaining about him. Maybe it's that he's been making a lot a little plays that might not get appreciated? Not producing enough?

I've also seen people complaining that he's slow, which I don't get either. Guys his size look slower because they're lanky and their legs cycle slower, but I think he gets around really well.

:dunno:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Like I proposed. Blueger as the 3C and McCann to Geno's wing would be my ideal line-up

As you stated, Blueger is a better playmaker than McCann with better offensive I.Q

TB then gets locked into that role though I think. I guess it’s good for the team, but I think he could really do some magic with Malkin.

Bjugstad should really be given that third pivot role. He was creating all kinds of offense there, and on the wing he just seems to struggle with the stop and start game it requires, ala Staal.

I dunno... lines just feel off to me. Something isn’t right.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
TB then gets locked into that role though I think. I guess it’s good for the team, but I think he could really do some magic with Malkin.

Bjugstad should really be given that third pivot role. He was creating all kinds of offense there, and on the wing he just seems to struggle with the stop and start game it requires, ala Staal.

I dunno... lines just feel off to me. Something isn’t right.

But Blueger in the 3C spot is best for the overall team.

Give him Kessel.

Reactions: The Old Master

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
But Blueger in the 3C spot is best for the overall team.

Give him Kessel.

Ya I know it is, but kicking McCann out to Malkin’s wing is not going to work.

Gotta look at this and see...

Guentzel Crosby Rust
? Malkin ?
? TB Kessel
? Cullen ?

Kick McCann out to LW on the third line and bump up Hornqvist...

Bjugstad Malkin Hornqvist
McCann TB Kessel

I dunno...

I’m still feeling

Guentzel Crosby Rust
TB Malkin Kessel
McCann Bjugstad Hornqvist

Reactions: BHD and KIRK

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Ya I know it is, but kicking McCann out to Malkin’s wing is not going to work.

Gotta look at this and see...

Guentzel Crosby Rust
? Malkin ?
? TB Kessel
? Cullen ?

Kick McCann out to LW on the third line and bump up Hornqvist...

Bjugstad Malkin Hornqvist
McCann TB Kessel

I dunno...

I’m still feeling

Guentzel Crosby Rust
TB Malkin Kessel
McCann Bjugstad Hornqvist

I like that. Wish you could swap Rust and Hornqvist.

McCann-Hornqvist is too stone handy.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
The forward mix is weird to me as well. I think all the pieces are there, but I am not sure how/if they fit together. The second line is a perfect example.

Malkin and Kessel can work together. Malkin and Bjugstad (I think) can work together. Kessel and Bjugstad looked like they can work together. But those 3 on the same line? I just dont see it.

I would give this line-up a shot:

Guentzel-Crosby- Rust
Blueger-Malkin-Hornqvist
McCann-Bjugstad-Kessel
Pearson-Cullen-Simon

Now, there is next to no chance of that happening, as it has both ZAR (who I do think had a good game today) and Wilson sitting, and I don't think Sullivan will sit both (either, even) of those guys.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I'll be honest, I don't get the doom and gloom in here after this game. They were a bounce or an average game by Murray away from at least getting this game to OT. Sure, it sucks to not get any points, but I felt like they had a good game for the most part.

I hate any loss right now with the fury of a thousand suns since it feels like Carolina never ever loses.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The forward mix is weird to me as well. I think all the pieces are there, but I am not sure how/if they fit together. The second line is a perfect example.

Yeah. I know everyone likes to make a big to-do about this team's forward depth. And on paper it's a nice group. But they don't fit together very well as a whole. You keep hoping guys like McCann, Bjugstad, Pearson, etc. will provide that "glue" but so far nothing has really helped longer than a few games here and there. Very, very little consistency among these forwards.

I do think some of that speaks to coaching. But I dunno... it's just an awkward group of players.

Reactions: rmartin65

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don’t know where else to put them and I wouldn’t touch that first line, they are playing lights out.

Kick Wilson out of the lineup, bring back Simon.

Simon Bjugstad Hornqvist
McCann Cullen ZAR

Not sure why you would kick out Wilson. He’s basically playing as good as TB tbh. It’s pretty dumb, because he is a total coal miner type. But he’s been pretty stupendous statistically and by the eye test.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The one positive I'll take out of this game is Malkin getting two goals. If he gets his confidence back we will easily make the playoffs because he can carry us for weeks at a time.

It would help if JR and Sully got things sorted for him with a line that makes sense instead of this square peg round hole crap they're back to since Sid reclaimed Rust.

And @Mr Jiggyfly is right . . . time for TB to get a look, because nothing else has worked since Hags was moved for a 3.75M healthy scratch. Well nothing except Rust, but we know how that story ends.

Reactions: Pancakes

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I though we controlled the bulk of play and possession.

Hi, Flames fan. Not going to comment on my opinion of the game or officiating on your board as we all have our biases, but score-adjusted the edge in 5v5 play does go to Calgary:

20182019-20893-cfdiff-sva.png

All the best. Let's meet in June.

Reactions: BHD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad