Post-Game Talk: Pens go up in flames on their road to 3 wins. Calgary 5 - Pens 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Hi, Flames fan. Not going to comment on my opinion of the game or officiating on your board as we all have our biases, but score-adjusted the edge in 5v5 play does go to Calgary:

20182019-20893-cfdiff-sva.png

All the best. Let's meet in June.
Thanks, not really big on arbitrary score adjusted. My eyes told me the Flames were very fortunate to hang on that MM wasn't his best today.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I just saw the McCann fight on twitter. Tbh, I would have applauded McCann for sucker-punching Andersson after that shot that Andersson gave him.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Speaking of the Canes I honestly had no idea Jordan Staal was going through the hardships that he is. Feel for the guy. Always had issues with him (or more specifically how fans and the team acted like he was this amazing game-changer) but I never want to see anyone go through all that.

Interesting that they are winning so much without him, though...
What’s going on with Staal? They are doing better without the guy that looks like he’s skating in quicksand???

Reactions: turtle27

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Perhaps because the construction of the 2nd line is **** and has been **** since Hagelin was traded for a healthy scratch (with the exception of the few games Sid allowed Rust to play there)?

I can't even blame Malkin anymore. Even when he plays great, he's ****** because of how JR has shaped the roster and Sully has handled it.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Perhaps because the construction of the 2nd line is **** and has been **** since Hagelin was traded for a healthy scratch (with the exception of the few games Sid allowed Rust to play there)?

I can't even blame Malkin anymore. Even when he plays great, he's ****** because of how JR has shaped the roster and Sully has handled it.

That’s why I think they will try and get Dzingle.

Jake Sid Rust
Dzingle Malkin Kessel
McCann Bjugstad Hornqvist
Blueger Cullen ZAR

Reactions: Ryder71 and KIRK

Anita L

Jan 29, 2019
It's hard to take a positive out of this game when they only show up for 10 minutes and that's after the fames took their foot off the gas and when you have a hard time keeping the puck out of your own net

Reactions: turtle27

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Tbh, I thought the Pens would have won that game if they'd swapped goaltenders. Or if Dumo hadn't hit the post and their first goal hadn't taken three different deflections. Etc.etc. I feel a lot happier about the desire and general ability of the team after that.

This said... I think they've gotta keep juggling the middle 6. Definite obvious room for improvement.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
What’s going on with Staal? They are doing better without the guy that looks like he’s skating in quicksand???

He's struggling with long-term concussion issues. I totally agree that betting (much) of the farm on that dude was not wise of the Canes (and the Pens for that matter) but I definitely hate to hear that.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Crosby playing at a prime level at ES at 31 and still missing the playoffs would be a pretty massive failure, yea.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Crosby playing at a prime level at ES at 31 and still missing the playoffs would be a pretty massive failure, yea.

Why?

Lots of players playing at a prime level miss the playoffs.

Like when a team goes from cup caliber to constructed like **** in 18 months . . .

Hell, the Pens probably miss last year without Geno's 2 month god like run . . .

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Why?

Lots of players playing at a prime level miss the playoffs.

Like when a team goes from cup caliber to constructed like **** in 18 months . . .

Hell, the Pens probably miss last year without Geno's 2 month god like run . . .

Yea but we’re talking about Sidney Crosby. Who somehow took that 2014 team to a damn good record despite it being in reality a pretty terrible team, especially when Malkin was hurt.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yea but we’re talking about Sidney Crosby. Who somehow took that 2014 team to a damn good record despite it being in reality a pretty terrible team, especially when Malkin was hurt.

Actually, Malkin was really good in the 60 games he was healthy. 72 points, +10.

That's why in those 60 games the Pens were 38-17-5.

In the 22 games Geno missed, the Pens were 13-7-2. Still pretty respectable given overall talent.

And perhaps there's a lesson here . . . that no matter how great Sid is or isn't playing, getting and keeping Geno going is vital to this team's success.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Have to admit it'll sting, them not making it and Carolina and the Islanders do. But if they miss it's richly deserved.

CLB also winning tonight...what’s sad is the Pens losing control of their destiny...they could play well the next 20 games but it might not matter depending on what CAR or CLB or MTL does...

I just hope if they miss the POs, they’ll be some changes and I include the coaching staff in that...can’t help but blame Sully for the rampant inconsistencies and playing certain players, not doing enough to help the middle 6...I also still don’t understand why he changed the breakouts to play these crappy uncontrolled breakouts...we used to leave someone high for a pass...now everyone is back so the other teams just pressure everyone in the D zone because there’s no threat of a stretch pass...the breakouts are so uncontrolled, no structure and yes, there are personnel problems, but this has just left the Pens with such a lack of O zone possession and so many shots against our goalies...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
CLB also winning tonight...what’s sad is the Pens losing control of their destiny...they could play well the next 20 games but it might not matter depending on what CAR or CLB or MTL does...

I just hope if they miss the POs, they’ll be some changes and I include the coaching staff in that...can’t help but blame Sully for the rampant inconsistencies and playing certain players, not doing enough to help the middle 6...I also still don’t understand why he changed the breakouts to play these crappy uncontrolled breakouts...we used to leave someone high for a pass...now everyone is back so the other teams just pressure everyone in the D zone because there’s no threat of a stretch pass...the breakouts are so uncontrolled, no structure and yes, there are personnel problems, but this has just left the Pens with such a lack of O zone possession and so many shots against our goalies...

JR would need to go too . . . right after he fires Guerin.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Pens had a cushion and they blew it. Carolina will hit a rough stretch. Plus Montreal isn’t out of reach.

Pens need to win.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Circling the drain
Too smooth a process for this team. More like a clog after last nights burrito and there is tepid water just laying about that reeks and ooozes down the drain, but you can hardly tell, but you know its happening.

Reactions: EightyOne

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I only got to watch the 3rd period, which was really good, but it was on mobile so I couldn't really tell what the heck was going on or really see players #'s to know who was doing well. I did see Phil out there skating like a f***ing missile he sure was fired up. Geno with a great period obviously and Sid almost getting it even.

Not sure how the 1st and 2nd period went, even though att net is replaying the game now, too busy watching live games.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Pens had a cushion and they blew it. Carolina will hit a rough stretch. Plus Montreal isn’t out of reach.

Pens need to win.

I think CAR is a better team than the Pens...MTL may be easier to catch...I don’t believe CAR will fall off though

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Too smooth a process for this team. More like a clog after last nights burrito and there is tepid water just laying about that reeks and ooozes down the drain, but you can hardly tell, but you know its happening.

Man, you need to get some better plumbing and FGS stop throwing your burritos down the drain...put it in the compost...

Reactions: shoplifter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad