Confirmed with Link: Pens and Coyotes make a trade

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It’s frustrating because we could afford to lose Wilson because of Archibald, now we have to start digging into WBS even more.

Also Leighton was terrible in 07.

A guy like DiPauli is a better player than Archie, so I'm not overly concerned about the farm depth. I thought Archie showed really well last night, but I guess the trade was already in the works.

Maybe they want to give DiPauli a look without sending Simon back, and JR didn't want to expose Archie to waivers.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Well I can assure you we have a solid source on HF who called the archi move yesterday. Props to him/her.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I understand the intentions. Getting rid of a contract and wanting a goalie shakeup. However:

Surely there could have been many much better ways to get rid of a contract.

Michael Leighton does not improve our goaltending situation at all.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Coyote fan checking in. What's the take on Archibald? Seems to well liked by fans. 4th liner? Know he's undersized. Grit to his game? Guessing Tocc must have liked him.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
2wmnojo.jpg

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Coyote fan checking in. What's the take on Archibald? Seems to well liked by fans. 4th liner? Know he's undersized. Grit to his game? Guessing Tocc must have liked him.

He's small but feisty. Really really fast. Plays with a lot of heart and grit.

He's realistically a 13th/14th forward but he's a good one of those. Great guy to call up and bring some energy for a few games at a time.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Maybe its as simple as having a vet goalie that they could swap back and forth with Jarry so Jarry can get some games in WBS instead of sitting for 2 weeks.
That's a fine rational for making a deal, but the fact that we gave up an NHL player who showcases the skills that mirror this team's desired play style for what you just described makes this deal a big ball of weird

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I'm not sure Leighton is any better of a #3 goalie than DeSmith, though.

Sullivan has his jimmies for Kuhn and Archie was never going to get in over him. Was only playing last night because Simon and Hornqvist were out.

Let's not pretend Archibald would have been in the lineup again until another month or three.

Kuhn is Adam's ghost and he haunts us forever.

Reactions: Kip Drordy

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

Seems like JR just decided recently that he wanted to get rid of Archi.

I'm going to guess JR either wants to call up players from the baby pens or has another trade lined up.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
That's a fine rational for making a deal, but the fact that we gave up an NHL player who showcases the skills that mirror this team's desired play style for what you just described makes this deal a big ball of weird
Not saying I disagree. Just trying to find some way to make sense of this.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I really hope this is just a precursor to a larger deal because Laughton is f***ing terrible.

He’s played in 7 games since 2010. This is just unnecessary.

Rutherford sucks

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
I don't think you are allowed to make call ups from the minors during the holiday freeze unless it involves an injury. So if the Pens call a guy up today, you will have your answer.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Josh was out of options and quite frankly would have lost him for nothing so getting a pick back is better than nothing. If anyone thinks a fourth line try hard guy is what is missing, then I have some magic beans you may have an interest in. Jarry is not going to be traded on this deal. Pens have to know Murray is not a 65 game goalie. Jarry is important for that very reason.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Josh Archibald is only an NHL player on a team like the Coyotes. The Pens won’t miss him. But I fear this sends the wrong message. He was one of the few who consistently left everything on the ice. His effort is something that needs to be rewarded, he just doesn’t have NHL-level skill.

Reactions: Extra Texture

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Lots of people saying this means Jarry is going to be Murray's full-time backup. No issue with that, but did we really have to trade an NHL-capable guy who fits in well on our 4th line for a goalie that's only ever gonna be in the AHL? I don't know.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad