Confirmed with Link: Pens and Coyotes make a trade

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
On Hunwick?

Yeah, I'd be surprised if they give up on Hunwick after 40 games. He struggled last night but played well other games. He just hasn't been consistent. Are you hearing something on him?

Edit..let's face it. If they're trading one of top four D men for a LW or 3C, with no top 4 coming back, I don't think that makes us a better team

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
On Hunwick?

Eh? I don't want to know that answer.

Maybe they’re betting on another trade or someone like Bengtsson. I’d say oleksiak could be the 7d after another trade.

I’m not sure what he does for the LD depth.

LD: Maatta, Dumoulin, Cole, Hunwick, oleksiak. One D going out doesn’t fix that unless it’s something like

M/D/C-Letang
M/D/C-Schultz
Hunwick-Ruhwedel
Oleksiak

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Absolute garbage trade. The first time the 4th line really looked good all year and JR dumps the catalyst for an AHL goalie? Garbage

Reactions: wheelz87

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mentioned that as a possibility in the Oleksiak trade thread, I wonder if the Penguins would trade Dumoulin or Maatta, re-sign Cole to be a middle pair defenseman and have Hunwick-Oleksiak be the bottom pair. It's worth a thought. I don't like that defense because it severely lacks in puck moving talent, but I wonder if the Penguins would go after something like that.

I'd love for it to open up the window for a Hunwick trade, though. Have your D pairs be:

Dumoulin-Letang
Cole-Schultz
Maatta-Oleksiak

Since apparently Oleksiak is comfortable at RD and will be playing there (according to Rutherford).

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
We tear up the league with speed and skill the past two years then this off-season we decide we're going to trade for Reaves, sign all the defensemen over 6'3, and now Oleksiak.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Hunwick isn't worth a damn in a trade, but I get the logic there Emp.

I agree he's not, I just don't know how else to round out the defense. If Cole isn't being moved, I have a lot of trouble figuring out how they're going to build the defense. This team still needs a bottom pair puck mover, because Hunwick isn't that (he skates well but he's not a good passer).

I've gone from happy with the Oleksiak trade to concerned from looking at the rest of the roster. The Penguins probably need to make 2 corresponding moves plus have Oleksiak be a NHL regular caliber player for me to be happy with the defense. Let's say you trade Cole and Hunwick and bring in Del Zotto from Vancouver somehow. Are you comfortable with this defense:

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Del Zotto-Oleksiak
Ruhwedel

I'm honestly not sure, and I find it pretty unlikely the Penguins will be able to make that many moves to change their defense.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Probably not, but why be so cold and deprive me of my dreams?

Not even sure Oleksiak is an upgrade on Ruhwedel, but if he goes in for anyone it would probably be him, no?

Unless a larger move is forthcoming. JR is certainly trying to get his last minute shopping in it seems.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
good lord...just...wow

Edit:

I'm okay with this more. Archie was clearly black listed. Leighton is okay. Maguire didn't look great.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Hunwick’s been fine to me. Maybe a few rough games, far fewer than some of our other d-men. He’s an adequate #6 and his skating fits the team identity.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Weird move, but he wasn’t getting a chance here.

The last 2 playoffs have shown that this team has to have goalie depth. Not surprised they acquired another one.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Weird move, but he wasn’t getting a chance here.

The last 2 playoffs have shown that this team has to have goalie depth. Not surprised they acquired another one.

If they want goalie depth they should have acquired someone better than an AHL backup.

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
Jarry will be traded now. He brought in a backup NHL/AHL goalie to feel safe there but he won't feel so safe. Then he used the 4th rd pick to get Oleksiak

It's time to go to blockbuster for OEL - some combo of Jarry, Hornqvist (5 RW's not including Sprong), Dumoulin, draft picks, and Hunwick (player/picks)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Hunwick’s been fine to me. Maybe a few rough games, far fewer than some of our other d-men. He’s an adequate #6 and his skating fits the team identity.

I only have 2 real complaints with Hunwick, he can't play RD and I wish he was a stronger puck mover. However, if Oleksiak can play RD like Rutherford said, the first complaint doesn't matter anymore. I do wish he was a stronger puck mover though.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Jarry will be traded now. He brought in a backup NHL/AHL goalie to feel safe there but he won't feel so safe. Then he used the 4th rd pick to get Oleksiak

It's time to go to blockbuster for OEL - some combo of Jarry, Hornqvist (5 RW's not including Sprong), Dumoulin, draft picks, and Hunwick (player/picks)

That would be a terrible trade for Arizona.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I only have 2 real complaints with Hunwick, he can't play RD and I wish he was a stronger puck mover. However, if Oleksiak can play RD like Rutherford said, the first complaint doesn't matter anymore. I do wish he was a stronger puck mover though.
He’s looked good on the right to me.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I thought Hunwick being a decent puck mover is one of the reasons we got him.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Leighton's addition makes a Jarry trade much less likely. Leighton is a bench warmer so Jarry can play instead of just sitting on the bench. If something happens to Murray, it's Jarry's net.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Leighton's addition makes a Jarry trade much less likely. Leighton is a bench warmer so Jarry can play instead of just sitting on the bench. If something happens to Murray, it's Jarry's net.
Exactly. He's basically a warm body. Jarry is the clear #2. If he were moved we would have to trade for a legitimate backup.

Reactions: KIRK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad