GDT: Penguins Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Kessel is in a different echelon of player than Rust so I wouldn’t worry about that.

Yeah that's valid to point out, but I also want to point out that Kessel got pissy about even playing on the 3rd line, while Rust would be getting demoted to the 4th. I don't think he'd make a big deal out of it like Kessel was rumored to, but I don't think his response will definitely be "work harder to get higher in the lineup". He'll also be the first guy promoted if either Kahun or Tanev struggles.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I was wondering this a little earlier, that Malkin line has Tanev on RW, not Galchenyuk.

Yeah, I think AG has the makings of a better RW if someone is going to play off wing but maybe they don’t think he’s comfortable there yet...

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Yeah that's valid to point out, but I also want to point out that Kessel got pissy about even playing on the 3rd line, while Rust would be getting demoted to the 4th. I don't think he'd make a big deal out of it like Kessel was rumored to, but I don't think his response will definitely be "work harder to get higher in the lineup". He'll also be the first guy promoted if either Kahun or Tanev struggles.

My point is moreso that Rust ain’t good enough to warrant pouting, and I think he knows that. Dude gets shipped out first chance JR gets if he does pull that.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I’m pretty sure Sullivan is a coach who believes in “pairing” off forwards, so imo the goal for camp is to figure out what those are.

If we can lock in some 2 man combos on each line to build the F group around we are golden.

Reactions: Dominance and Peat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, I think AG has the makings of a better RW if someone is going to play off wing but maybe they don’t think he’s comfortable there yet...

I think you may be right that Galchenyuk is better suited or RW, but I don't think Tanev is poorly suited for RW. At least from clips I've watched, a lot of Tanev's goals come from Tanev going down the RW side of the ice.

I'd have to ask a Jets fan to know confidently, but I feel like the most common line last year was Copp-Lowry-Tanev, so he may have been playing RW all along.

I’m pretty sure Sullivan is a coach who believes in “pairing” off forwards, so imo the goal for camp is to figure out what those are.

If we can lock in some 2 man combos on each line to build the F group around we are golden.

Yeah you are correct, I think they have the pairings for the top-9 already: Guentzel-Crosby, Galchenyuk-Malkin and Bjugstad-Hornqvist. They'll just cycle everyone else (Kahun, Tanev, Rust, McCann, ZAR and Simon) through the remaining spots and go with what's hot. That's at least normally what Sullivan does, unless a line is kicking ass.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Ah, so this is the new guy Yinzers will loudly insist can take over for Murray, so we can finally get that ******* off the team ...

fleurydefender1_zpsw1zb0nmy.jpg

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Yeah you are correct, I think they have the pairings for the top-9 already: Guentzel-Crosby, Galchenyuk-Malkin and Bjugstad-Hornqvist. They'll just cycle everyone else (Kahun, Tanev, Rust, McCann, ZAR and Simon) through the remaining spots and go with what's hot. That's at least normally what Sullivan does, unless a line is kicking ass.

That’s definitely what’s pencilled in right now, we just gotta see if they’re effective outside of Sid-Jake.

But should be a lot easier to sort out compared to the last 2 years because we’ll open with Bjugstad/Blueger down the middle and not McKegg/Rowney or the corpse of Derick Brassard and Sheahan.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Neat but useless fact: if the Penguins top-6 sticks this way, it will have 6 lefties in the top-6. I don't believe that has happened sine 2013-2014, when the Penguins had Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis and Jokinen-Malkin-Neal as their top-6.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
No need to get worked up over day 1 lines or pairings. They always put vets with younger guys or new guys to get acclimated and see how players respond to different situations.

At forward, pairs are what we should be paying attention to. The 3rd guy will rotate a lot during camp.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So Crosby and Malkin figure in the first two goals....hmm...surprising...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad