GDT: Penguins Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Minor tidbit from the Ice Cream man's Q&A - he believes Kahun will start on the 3rd line (o rly) and top unit PK. That'd be interesting if true.
That's what I'd do. 3rd line for a period of time and then start giving him looks with Sid.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

I really hope Chucky works out. Hes obviously really excited to be here and maybe it helps make Geno more comfortable.

It's the perfect scenario just like Kessel was. Hes not on Phils level but also have to consider age and getting POJ as well.

But as for AL alone...

1. He's played on two teams that haven't gotten the most out of him and while not considered a bust...he def hasn't gotten the respect around the league yet...living up to being 3rd overall pick. And now gets traded to the Pens who he saw what happened with Kessel when he was traded here and has that excitement of him possibly having that same affect for the team. And..

2. Not only the team but building chemistry with Malkin...getting him back to his elite level while also upping his game to a Guentzel type level(with about 10 less goals but more assists..) . Finally having an elite winger for both Crosby and Geno at the same time. This is exactly the type of trade we needed. Obviously had to get younger but at same time there's a completely diff feel to the team than the last few years. Complacency gone...where its lazy/rely on talent only type play all season that was complained about on here the last two seasons.

And we are adding these two players(from Kessel trade) after winning two more cups with him. That gives it a much better feeling rather than the Kessel trade(from TO) being a bust. Got the 2 wins..last two years proved a change was needed and JR didnt waste more years just because of the b2b cups.

So imagine these moves(Kahun and Tanev as well...along with McCann/Bjusgstad who will enter the season with having experience here) getting us another cup or two. It would put the Pens at the top...no other team was able to keep reloadong Like this. Once the Hawks players got paid...they didnt win again. Kings. Then theres Tampa who has had a stacked lineup for years but lost in finals to losing in ECF twice all within last 5 years. They are still lucky they got alot of those players signed for cheap deals compared to what Toronto players are doing to criplle their team. Instead of building something special and try to win mutilple cups...they all want top dollar before that even happens.

Fine by me...only helps us and should make us appreciate Crosby and Malkin were making 8.7/9.5 over these years instead of 10-13 mil. Even Guentzel taking 6mil for 6. Someone whos actually won a cup by being a main factor scoring 12 goals. Then proving the following playoffs that wasnt a fluke. Signs a deal before he has a huge reg season..and it happens to be his best...40 goals.

Yeah our D needs to get cheaper but thats exactly the plan after this season.

So much talk over JJ and the Tanev contract...but this team (on paper) is setup to be a top contender.

While also getting younger along with having our best prospect pool in a long time. So we should be able to continue to trade certain contracts while adding the next impact players on their ELCs.
So many were worried about our cap but with the amount of high end prospects we have now we should be able to land a Guentzel type along with a Kunitz/Hornqvist...

Allowing them to trade Rust as an actual asset rather than moving him to be rid of JJs contract. We all like Rust but these are the trades you have to make when you do get the luxury of top prospects panning out. Maybe Hornqvist as well. And even Bjusgtad
All depends on how they do along with how well our top tier prospects do. Not referring to the Lafferty/Angello types but the Almeida, Bellerive(we'll see if that burn didnt impact his shot but he still has a place in the lineup with that Crosby-like build and snarl to go with the skill/Hard work), Hallander, Poulin types.

And Maybe some of the other lesser "names" end up surprising and taking their game to the next level as well.

Point is there are plenty of options now to allow us to keep reloading and then trading the longer term contracts. Not something Id do all at once(especially if they win it all again..) But one of them each year or so.

And best of all we have two top D prospects now in Addison and POJ. And Pettersson who should be ready to take his game to another level. Along with Riikola who showed flashes of potential . We can finally have a D thats not the highest paid in league while being one of worst units as a whole.

Already moved Maatta. Just gonna have to hope JJ improves his game after hearing all of the negativity this offseason and it being his 2nd season now. Since the goal will be to move him as soon as some GM accepts him without us adding another player.
get in the playoffs.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Have alot to figure out with contracts next year ...so hopefully we add #4 this season and someone like Galchenyuk loves it here (already being to 2 teams that didnt workout well) enough to stay for 2-3 year extension at 6-6.5 depending on how well he does and if he was that Guentzel type winger for Geno. He's already making 4.9 so only a 1.1-1.6 raise...certainly wouldn't hurt us for next few seasons.

The good thing JR did was add alot of young players who are right on the verge of breaking out or at least should be. So if someone like McCann(who we do have high hopes for has a letdown season...its not like hes signed for 5 years..).

Yeah they would have to move some players to fit the new raises in but if we do win it all....and with how many young players we have that are due for a raise...maybe a few out of the group stay for cheaper to keep the team together and going for anothr run. They know they can be replaced if tbey price themselves out...could always sign a 2-3 year deal to leave room for another big contract after if they do keep improving.

Anyway , I like how this team was retooled. Have contracts that are moveable(JJ will be eventually),along with handful of players who could breakout puttting us over the top again but needing new deals, and with the ones who want the long term big deal now we also have a group of top tier prospects waiting their turn.

This is how you construct a team. Impressive considering we have Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and now Guentzel all locked in til at least 2023.

Look at Caps for example, Have to resign Backstrom and Holtby. Yeah they have top goaltending prospects but if they made the wrong move and replaced Holtby back when they had the " next top Goaltender" they likely never win the cup. As for Backstrom...one of most underrated players in history. Huge reason OV got as many goals as he did. Those perfect passes non stop allowing him to one time. And hes only been making 6.7 mjl this whole time while OV was making what over 12? Slap in the face imo since he doesnt score nearly as much if he didnt happen to be centered by one of the best passers in the game these last few decades. He will be 32...and won a cup now...i can see a team throwing 8.5-9.5 mil at him easily on a 3-4 year deal. Maybe even higher if Caps do let him hit FA and there's a bidding war.

Tho the Caps may decide to keep if Kuznetsov has another year like the rest of his career before selling his soul during that cup run. Went from choking each playoffs to being unstoppable back to looking avg again for someone with his level of talent.

Hes the reason they won it all...finally nore than just Backstrom/OV/Oshie upped their games.

An exciting season coming up. And I like the metro being tougher...now the Pens know they can't coast and still

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Minor tidbit from the Ice Cream man's Q&A - he believes Kahun will start on the 3rd line (o rly) and top unit PK. That'd be interesting if true.

With Kessel gone and one less player who we couldn't find the best fit for...maybe they decide to move Hornqvist back up to top 2 lines next season. With him having the experience as our team got alot younger lately. And the run he went on in the Worlds. To me it showed he needs to be used right. Hes not ' washed up" yet and making close to 6 mil so play him and McCann up top

Works out better if he goes to first line and MCann LW on 2nd. Everyone playing their right position but Sid may not agree to that yet. Or maybe with Kessel gone...hes willing to go back to PH on his line. At least for playoffs that is. When that top line put up elite numbers thru those 2 rounds..sid/jake with 21 each but PH had 11 while missing a few games. No Rust please. Hes the perfect 3rd or 4th line player. Since the 4th line will have Blueger, another skilled center that wouldn't hurt his play or points.

Allowing PH to move back up to the top 2 lines does wonders for the 3rd and 4th. Rust at his best away from Sid..would be good on 3rd line with Bjugstad/Kahun or 4th with Blueger/Tanev

I dont want a Simon- Bjusgtad- Hornqvist 3rd line again. Maybe at times but with them not being a threat offensively it made it easier for Isles to focus only on the top 2 lines.

We are hoping Kahun can be an offensive threat to go with his overall play. Rust with him and Bjugstad could help Nick also score some more.

Stick with certain lines for awhile this time to develop chemistry. Cant have every young player go to Sid's line to imrpove their game and then sent down being a better version. For some it makes them worse. Like ZAR. Always did good with Crosby ...but would be on 3rd or 4th after coming back from injury and not be much of a factor. Hell maybe even he breaks out in his 3rd full season now.

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
McCann - Malkin - Galchenyuk
Kahun - Bjugstad - Rust
ZAR/Simon - Blueger - Tanev

Let PH find fountain of youth again. Not gonna happen on lower lines. So if they arent gonna put Kahun there..put PH. 3rd line allows Bjugstad to be surrounded by speedy 20+ potential goal scorers. Doubt they'd run those 3 together but i like it

4th line....its make or break time for ZAR/Simon. Have to take next step. If not replace midseason with someone from WBS whos standing out above the rest.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
McCann - Malkin - Galchenyuk
Kahun - Bjugstad - Rust
ZAR/Simon - Blueger - Tanev

Let PH find fountain of youth again. Not gonna happen on lower lines. So if they arent gonna put Kahun there..put PH. 3rd line allows Bjugstad to be surrounded by speedy 20+ potential goal scorers. Doubt they'd run those 3 together but i like it

4th line....its make or break time for ZAR/Simon. Have to take next step. If not replace midseason with someone from WBS whos standing out above the rest.

Love the lines
Too bad Crosby doesn't. Hence Horny is gonna be on L3

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
So this article suggests that Marino is closest to NHL ready for the Pens and that the team thinks he’s nearly ready for NHL duty...as I said before, I think he could play third pair RD rn and that JR should be looking to unload Guds $4 mil salary...as much as he was good for us in a short stint last year, we can’t afford him at current salary...

Penguins 2019-20 camp primer: Who are the prospects most likely to contribute this year?

Replying to this here as it seems more on topic here -

While I still think you should be slowing your roll about Marino, I am going to be intrigued to see how he goes. I don't think he's going to be a realistic option to push onto the roster at the start - and even if he is, I'd like to see a little more of the situation before deciding which RHD to throw overboard, if any as there's worse things that having a lot of depth in an important and injury prone position - but I definitely think he could emerge as an option to benefit from a January shake-up.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Curious to see what type of player Palve is. He is a bit of an unknown to me.

Me too...he could be a Bjug replacement should the team go that trade route and should he play well...lot of intriguing training camp players to watch...

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I don't expect much from Palve just because I've learned to not be so optimistic about Euro players and prospects. :laugh:

Just based on the few articles I've read about him, he'd have a better chance of making the Pens as a winger.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Love the lines
Too bad Crosby doesn't. Hence Horny is gonna be on L3

You're prob right. Im holding out hope that he will be willing to get back to the old ways now that Kessel is gone. Having both Kessel and PH in top 6 may have been top much "personality" for them to put up with.

If Hornqvist could gel with someone in bottom six then fine...but didnt he go like 20-30 games without a goal down there last season? Still dont understand why they don't want PH in the best position to succeed. Hes making 5.5 mil a year. Thats a waste.

As for them liking their "shutdown ' 3rd line last year...that also backfires when other lines arent scoring.

A 3rd line with Kahun - Bjugstad - Rust could keep the puck in the offensive zone...along with creating scoring chances on the rush...getting back to help out in D zone ...its way more balanced. And all capable of putting pick in the net. Maybe giving Bjugstad those 2...who are both hard working /Speed types with a touch of skill he gets back not just the 19g-30a he put up in 2018 but finally breaking 50 points for first time with 55-60...getting around 20g and 35-40a.

Since both Rust and Kahun are straight 5 on 5 wingers...thats where their points come from. And he also has a nice shot. Would like to see him put it all together finally , being a FA in 21 and likely the time prospects hes replaced at 3C with Bellerive if he can put that injury behind him. But with his Crosby like build and nastiness to his game...hed be the perfect 3rd C.

If we are assuming Poulin is added to top 6 as a 3rd piece with either 1st or 2nd line. And Almeida/Hallander the other. Or Legare. Good news is theres top level comp between them all.

Could see....

Guentzel - Crosby - Poulin
Hallander - Malkin - Galchenyuk
Almeida - Bellerive - Legare
Bjorkvist - Blueger - Tanev

Being 6 ELCs in there so we can have a Dline of

9mil/9mil
8mil/8mil
7mil/2mil(JJ back at discount)

And thats if we do move on from all of McCann, Rust, Horny, etc and even Kahun. Maybe Tanev as well . or maybe Blueger too so 4th line is the

Angello(6-'4) - Palvychev(6'7) - Caulfield(6'5)

True push back line during JRs final year of GM. All 3 chasing Wilson up and down the ice.

Short version : we have plenty of options finally. And especially if we continue to keep first round picks. And also trade some assets for one...may have that luxury if all goes well.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think those lines are about as best as this team can do, at least to start. But I agree that Hornqvist is unlikely to make his way much to the top line. For whatever reason.

Expect a steady dose of him being shoehorned in with Malkin, though. Which is about as fun as watching old people f***.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens will need to exit a couple contracts JJ and imo Horny after this year. Cap maybe up 2 million Pens have 20 million to sign Murray a RH top 4 D man maybe Schultz and top 6 winger like chucky. That s 18 million for those 3 and JJ and Horny gone clears enough cap room to extend McCaan and Petts after this year.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea, from what i watched of Palve, he's a crafty offensive C who thrives on the PP.
Will be interesting to see what he does in North America.

Lots of stuff happening tomorrow so check for tidbits and most likely clips from opening day of TC in here.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Couple more hours gents.. Like I mentioned, I am attending day 1 so will watch Palve for sure

Any chance you could try to get JJ’s autograph and accidentally swing your backpack at his head?...a “steel city assault” that would be a real public service ...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Any chance you could try to get JJ’s autograph and accidentally swing your backpack at his head?...a “steel city assault” that would be a real public service ...
That skull is too thick to be hurt by a bag.

You'd need Mjolnir or Strombreaker, or Superman's punch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad