GDT: Penguins Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I anticipate Tanev and Kahun will spend time with every center in training camp to get a feel for where they fit best. I wouldn't read too much into line combos on the opening day of camp.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I guess Wes Crosby was wrong about Rust playing with Malkin and Galchenyuk, or maybe they swapped at some point. I'm iffy on Tanev playing with those two (plus I'd be curious to see what wing Galchenyuk is on with that combination), but I'm willing to see how it would look in practice. It's not like Tanev caliber players haven't thrived with Malkin before, even if it was a decade ago, and Tanev does bring what that line needs.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I anticipate Tanev and Kahun will spend time with every center in training camp to get a feel for where they fit best. I wouldn't read too much into line combos on the opening day of camp.

Yeah makes sense to play the 3 new guys in spots where they’ll have the puck in order to best evaluate them.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I will say that if Rust does start on the 4th line this year, I'm going to be slightly irked that they didn't trade him this off-season. The whole appeal for keeping Rust to me was how good of a fit he was with Malkin and Galchenyuk on paper. I'd rather have Pettersson on a long-term deal and the assets you'd get for Rust (maybe something like Puljujarvi and a 3rd) than have Rust on the 4th line.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Really liking our top 12 depth. probably gonna have to waive or trade a decent NHLer like zar or simon

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I will say that if Rust does start on the 4th line this year, I'm going to be slightly irked that they didn't trade him this off-season. The whole appeal for keeping Rust to me was how good of a fit he was with Malkin and Galchenyuk on paper. I'd rather have Pettersson on a long-term deal and the assets you'd get for Rust (maybe something like Puljujarvi and a 3rd) than have Rust on the 4th line.

On the plus side, Rust would probably kick ass on the 4th line and allow us to roll 4 lines better than we have since 2016.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
On the plus side, Rust would probably kick ass on the 4th line and allow us to roll 4 lines better than we have since 2016.

I don't know how much Rust would complain about it, but I feel like a lot of players would be really pissed about going from playing a majority of your time with Crosby to playing on a 4th line.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Ideally I think Sully would like to see Jake-Sid-Kahun and Tanev-G-AG work out...they’re his kind of lines..

You could also replace Tanev with ZAR and Kahun with Simon if they don’t work out...if Galchenyuk has problems, you could move Rust up...or Horny...anyway, the inner workings of Sullivan’s brain are very easy to see..

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't know how much Rust would complain about it, but I feel like a lot of players would be really pissed about going from playing a majority of your time with Crosby to playing on a 4th line.

Probably. But it's not like Sullivan is ever married to his lines anyway. You know Rust is going to see time in the top 6, one way or another.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Rust will be a guy they move around depending on how lines are playing...I could see Sully starting a game with Jake-Sid-Kahun and if they struggle, swapping Rust and Kahun...I think he’ll play all over...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad