GDT: Penguins Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Anyone heard anything about Tanev skating with the boys? I can't recall seeing his name mentioned.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
My initial expectations are:

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Galchenyuk - Malkin - Hornqvist
McCann - Bjugstad - Kahun
Tanev - Blueger - Simon

But I would prefer to see

Guentzel - Crosby - Simon
Tanev - Blueger - Rust

Reactions: UnrealMachine

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
One thing I'm a little surprised about is that the Penguins haven't released their 3 training camp teams yet. The first practices start in like 35 minutes with teams 1 and 2 practicing, but the Penguins haven't specified who is on what team yet. That's something I would have expected to be out by now.

You can usually get a good idea of what their initial line combinations are based on the training camp team rosters.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
My initial expectations are:

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Tanev - Blueger - Simon

But I would prefer to see

Guentzel - Crosby - Simon
Tanev - Blueger - Rust

I like most of that preferred lineup. I'd worry though that Hornqvist doesn't have the wheels and is not quite strong enough defensively (a strong need for Chuk/Malkin). I'd be more inclined to put Rust there. If Kahun is strong defensively (I don't know if he is?) then I'd consider putting him there, as he has at least shown that he can play with highly skilled players. I'd just flat out try to trade Hornqvist - he doesn't really fit anywhere other than PP1.

Reactions: Dominance

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
One thing I'm a little surprised about is that the Penguins haven't released their 3 training camp teams yet. The first practices start in like 35 minutes with teams 1 and 2 practicing, but the Penguins haven't specified who is on what team yet. That's something I would have expected to be out by now.

You can usually get a good idea of what their initial line combinations are based on the training camp team rosters.

Looks like they are starting out with

Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun
Galchenyuk-Malkin-Rust
McCann-Bjugstad-Hornqvist

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Right on time then :laugh:

Jumping to unreasonable conclusions, team 1 looks to have Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun, team 2 looks to have Galchenyuk-Malkin-Rust and Tanev-Blueger as a combination and team 3 has the 3rd line battle between McCann and Simon to play with Bjugstad and Hornqvist. Pettersson and Schultz are also on the same team, that might be interesting to see if they play together at first. I tend to take more out of forward lines than D combinations from these teams, though.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Also Johnson-Letang looks like a pairing?

If you read into how the D are split up (I read into that less than the forwards), it would suggest the D pairs are:

Johnson-Letang
Dumoulin-Gudbranson
Pettersson-Schultz

Like they're probably not that, but that's interesting enough to speculate about. In theory, you could use Dumoulin-Gudbranson as a shutdown pair and send out Johnson-Letang and Pettersson-Schultz in offensive situations, so I don't think it's ridiculous to speculate that they could try that.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Playing JJ with Sid's line and Letang makes sense if the plan is to trade him as soon as humanly possible.

I feel like they'd pair those two together because Letang is probably their best bet to negate out the awful analytics Johnson provides. I'm pretty confident in both Dumoulin-Gudbranson and Pettersson-Schultz being solid 2nd pairs, and if Johnson can manage to not sink Letang, I think that defense may actually work.

They're probably not actually going to run with those D pairs though, so it's a moot point.

Last edited:

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Cue the "No god no" Michael Scott gif.
iu

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I think I remember them saying something in the past that they like to pair a younger guy with a veteran on D during training camp. So I don’t know how much to read into the rosters.

That said, I could also be completely making that up.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It might be but Kahun might also run away with the position. I think it's telling that he's getting the first crack at the top line RW spot.

Tell that to Sprong :laugh:

What do the gray jerseys mean in this context?

Also... Poulin-Lafferty-ZAR's an interesting line. If you want to be premature and aggressive, that could maybe be next year's 4th line.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Guentzel-Sid-Kahun
Chucky-Geno-Rust
Mccann-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Tanev-Blueger-Simon
ZAR

Thats some unreal forward depth. Depending on how blueger plays, we could have two third lines again.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I always thought they’d give Kahun a spin at L1 RW...

Also, team 2 offers what I think they should try for L2...Tanev-G-Gally...we’ll see...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
To be fair, I think the intent was for Sprong to run away with that spot. He just sucked there :laugh:

I bet @pixiesfanyo is happy to see that Galchenyuk-Malkin-Rust is the starting 2nd line.

Maybe. They moved away from it quick enough.

I do have to say, I think this is possibly the best iteration of the top 6 we could have out there right now.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad