GDT: Penguins Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Feel like Sully is not happy with ZAR if he’s playing him in every single game as an established NHL player.

giphy.gif

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Seems like Simon is gonna keep getting reps at center, and I liked reading that Cullen's special assignment was to help him with faceoffs.

If we have Simon, Blueger, and Lafferty able to play bottom 6 center (and McCann if he's not on wing), it will make moving Bjugstad that much easier.

Simon has been pretty hit and miss at center from what I've seen, but with the wing depth the Penguins have and how Simon has looked internationally at center, I definitely don't mind them trying it out. My concern is that they'll try it for like 5 preseason games and then never try it again, regardless of whether it works well.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Seems like Simon is gonna keep getting reps at center, and I liked reading that Cullen's special assignment was to help him with faceoffs.

If we have Simon, Blueger, and Lafferty able to play bottom 6 center (and McCann if he's not on wing), it will make moving Bjugstad that much easier.

3C - Blueger
4C - Simon

Or swap them.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Jarry could also be the type of goalie who takes years to put it all together.

But i trust DeSmith "this year". Already at the age where confidence isnt a huge factor . He just doesnt have the pedigree but I still wonder if we would have beat the Caps in 2nd round if we switched to him. Our offense was fine..Murray kept letting up goals. Yes i know our D and overall play didnt help Murray at all..just saying he didnt make those same saves he did the previous seasons and maybe Casey does. Also..would have been 3 straight years with a diff goalie against Wash lol. May have thrown them off again. Once they got a few past Murray...they weren't worried any anymore.

I swear DeSmith molds his game around Fleury, they seem so similar and play so similar. He's like a Fleury-lite in a way.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Bjugstad's been fine. People have unrealistic expectations of what a 3C does. We just solved an issue that took the better part of two seasons to fix, spending a ton of assets in doing so. Let's not mess around with the 3C position, eh? Nobody knows what Blueger or Simon are capable of or how they'd perform as the 3C over 82 games. If Blueger and/or Simon excel this year in a center role, we can discuss moving Bjugstad next summer. Until that happens, things are fine.

The only real issues or question marks at forward are Galchenyuk and Hornqvist, imo. I'm pretty optimistic that Galchenyuk can and will find another gear on this team, especially alongside Geno. I'm not sure Hornqvist is capable of staying healthy over the course of an 82+ game season, and even less certain that he's worth his cap hit if he's not going to be on the top PP unit or in the top-6. But, he's got a full NTC, so... He's got to want out for us to solve that problem.

Reactions: vodeni

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'm the opposite.
I believe Jarry's uber ready for the bigs now.
Seen alot of rubber in the A last season and performed very well, improving on his prior seasons AHL stats.
He also scored a goal and had 4 assists. Heh.
I'd go with Jarrs 100% but the reality is if theres zero difference between the 2 right now in camp practice and pre-season games, i go with Jarrs.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Bjugstad's been fine. People have unrealistic expectations of what a 3C does. We just solved an issue that took the better part of two seasons to fix, spending a ton of assets in doing so. Let's not mess around with the 3C position, eh? Nobody knows what Blueger or Simon are capable of or how they'd perform as the 3C over 82 games. If Blueger and/or Simon excel this year in a center role, we can discuss moving Bjugstad next summer. Until that happens, things are fine.

The only real issues or question marks at forward are Galchenyuk and Hornqvist, imo. I'm pretty optimistic that Galchenyuk can and will find another gear on this team, especially alongside Geno. I'm not sure Hornqvist is capable of staying healthy over the course of an 82+ game season, and even less certain that he's worth his cap hit if he's not going to be on the top PP unit or in the top-6. But, he's got a full NTC, so... He's got to want out for us to solve that problem.

Well, the issue is Bjugstad has only been fine and he costs 4 mil.

McCann can be fine at 1.25 this year if that’s all we need out of a 3C. If we hadn’t signed Tanev you could justify it.

Galchenyuk is good for 40 pts. If he clicks with Malkin that’s great if he doesn’t we can trade him for an additional return.

Hornqvist despite not scoring for months put up 20 gs last year. I wouldn’t worry about him.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Simon has been pretty hit and miss at center from what I've seen, but with the wing depth the Penguins have and how Simon has looked internationally at center, I definitely don't mind them trying it out. My concern is that they'll try it for like 5 preseason games and then never try it again, regardless of whether it works well.

Always a possibility. But with the Cullen thing, it seems they're fairly invested in giving it a shot, anyway.

He's already lasted longer than Sprong in the top 9 last year.

3C - Blueger
4C - Simon

Or swap them.

If Simon can find a way to stick at center, that may be the best course.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I just find Bjugs doesn't have enough bite in his game to be a Cup calibre 3C.
We'll see how it goes tho to start out...

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I just find Bjugs doesn't have enough bite in his game to be a Cup calibre 3C.
We'll see how it goes tho to start out...

Not even about point totals in reg season either...dont really care about that. Bones didnt light up the statsheet But he was the perfect 3C for us. Made so many clutch plays en route to first cup.

Bjugstad only had 4 games with us in playoffs tho and whole team struggled to score. So we will see this year. Def has the potential but this is the year it has to show in the box score.

Its why id rather see him with two speedy wingers like Rust and Kahun/McCann(if they are what we expect).

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Anywho my guys i keep up for the last 2 games(after tomorrows game is over) would be:

Lafferty
DiPauli(since AJ is hurt)
Agozzino
P-O and Marino

I'd get each of them in one of the last 2 vs close to NHL lineups.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Some Hawks fans doubling down now, going so far as to say that Maatta is not even slow.

Remember that when you’re doing your preseason impressions.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Not even about point totals in reg season either...dont really care about that. Bones didnt light up the statsheet But he was the perfect 3C for us. Made so many clutch plays en route to first cup.

Bjugstad only had 4 games with us in playoffs tho and whole team struggled to score. So we will see this year. Def has the potential but this is the year it has to show in the box score.

Its why id rather see him with two speedy wingers like Rust and Kahun/McCann(if they are what we expect).

Bonino did pace at 38 pts both seasons he was here. That being said many people said Bonino cost too much. If Bjugstad can become our # 2 or 3 PKer and be effective I’ll be fine with his cost.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Feel like Sully is not happy with ZAR if he’s playing him in every single game as an established NHL player.

What? He is the Big Brother/Mentor for the young guys to look up to!!! They are giving him leadership roles!

Also, I wish I were joking, but I kinda think that is the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad