GDT: Penguins Trade Deadline discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Thought they said he'll (Bennet) be on the team after the deadline? I'd assume that would mean actually playing not just the pressbox, in that case let him get experience in the AHL.

If you're a young Penguin, you cannot ASSUME you're going to be in the lineup. Not under Disco Dan Bylsma's watch. If anything, they should assume they're in the press box.

PensFan68

May 6, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
That only bothers me when Craig Adams is in his stead. I have no problem seeing Jeffrey in the lineup. In fact, I'm usually shocked when it happens.

I may literally fall off my chair the next time I see Robert Bortuzzo in the lineup.

Yeah, I feel bad for him. Seems like a season sitting in the press box is horrid for development.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
That only bothers me when Craig Adams is in his stead. I have no problem seeing Jeffrey in the lineup. In fact, I'm usually shocked when it happens.

I may literally fall off my chair the next time I see Robert Bortuzzo in the lineup.

Adams has been good this year. No problem with him. Glass is who should be sitting though. And TK shouldn't be playing center. Either just plop jeffrey in Sid's spot to plug the hole, or slide Sutter up, put Jeffrey as 3C and Vitale as 4C.

The 4th line should not include Glass unless necessary.

As for Bortuzzo, I can't be as upset. We don't have anyone as glaringly bad as Glass taking his spot.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
If you're a young Penguin, you cannot ASSUME you're going to be in the lineup. Not under Disco Dan Bylsma's watch. If anything, they should assume they're in the press box.

True but I figured they stated this even knowing (Shero at least) that some new players would be coming in.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Thought they said he'll (Bennet) be on the team after the deadline? I'd assume that would mean actually playing not just the pressbox, in that case let him get experience in the AHL.

Not necessarily. They're allowed to have more then 23 players on the roster after the trade deadline doesn't mean he will play. There is basically no more call ups like a taxi squad

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

And that is FINE. But the tune has to change if saud player is outoerforming numerous vets. Bennett produced without elite line mates, was consustently solid defensively and played a physical game. I am not pedobear or anything, but it is a wrong signal to scratch deserving players over less deserving ones, and that goes for Joe V as well.

In Bennett's case the roster limit us the only good argument, but come tomorrow that is gone.

namsnoodle

Feb 27, 2013
I'm more annoyed with Vitale sitting out at this point than Bennett. We literally only played 3 centers last night. And we have a glaringly bad player on the 4th line.

Vitale has been a beast. He may not put up the biggest numbers, but the guy is clutch! Im almost tempted to ask my brother in law(who is friends with Bylsma) for Dan's number and ask what the **** is he thinking!?!? (Okay okay I know Bylsma would just laugh and turn the other way, but im just curious)

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
in terms of development i understand there's the school of thought that young players must play regardless of level - who'd advocate that Beau stays in WBS and plays in the AHL playoffs until an injury or the like opens up a spot for him on the big club. but surely there must be an opposing view, that being around the big club vets during this run will give him some invaluable experience. does anyone remember what the Devils did with Larsson? i remember he played a series or two but correct me if i'm wrong, wasn't he scratched for most of the playoffs.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Not necessarily. They're allowed to have more then 23 players on the roster after the trade deadline doesn't mean he will play. There is basically no more call ups like a taxi squad

Right but why bring up him up to sit, when he can play in the ahl.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
in terms of development i understand there's the school of thought that young players must play regardless of level - who'd advocate that Beau stays in WBS and plays in the AHL playoffs until an injury or the like opens up a spot for him on the big club. but surely there must be an opposing view, that being around the big club vets during this run will give him some invaluable experience. does anyone remember what the Devils did with Larsson? i remember he played a series or two but correct me if i'm wrong, wasn't he scratched for most of the playoffs.

I can understand bringing him up for that team experience. But I don't like him watching players play worse hockey than him.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Guess we'll have to see how the next few games go. If they drop both of these against the Rags maybe more drastic action will be taken.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
I can understand bringing him up for that team experience. But I don't like him watching players play worse hockey than him.

word. i want to see him and Morrow platoon the second line and third line left-wing spots. but it's doubtful that happens. i just question how meaningful the Calder Cup is for him and his development. perhaps not playing but hanging out with Morrow and Iggy may teach him more than playing with Gibbons and Thompson. i don't know, i'm just posting the question.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
word. i want to see him and Morrow platoon the second line and third line left-wing spots. but it's doubtful that happens. i just question how meaningful the Calder Cup is for him and his development. perhaps not playing but hanging out with Morrow and Iggy may teach him more than playing with Gibbons and Thompson. i don't know, i'm just posting the question.

I'd be fine with him on the 4th line and platooning the 2nd line spot. How much better would Sid and Geno's double shifts be with Bennett down there instead of Glass?

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010

Understandable, however, look at what is in front of him. At this moment, he isn't better than anyone on L1, L2, and he is not better than Morrow. The only person you can possibly argue at this moment would be Cooke, and I'm not sure that is even an argument as Cooke has been playing great.

That leaves him on the 4th line, which I'm sure people will ***** about. If you want him in the lineup, that is where he will be barring an injury or the occaissional line shuffle.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Understandable, however, look at what is in front of him. At this moment, he isn't better than anyone on L1, L2, and he is not better than Morrow. The only person you can possibly argue at this moment would be Cooke, and I'm not sure that is even an argument as Cooke has been playing great.

That leaves him on the 4th line, which I'm sure people will ***** about. If you want him in the lineup, that is where he will be barring an injury or the occaissional line shuffle.

I'd rather him than Glass or TK on the 4th line. Like I said, I can understand Bennett sitting. But those two being in over him won't sit well with me. Jeffrey - Vitale - Adams is a 4th line I could understand over Bennett. Jeffrey can fill in at center. He can kill penalties. He's just more versatile than Bennett. Any argument Glass has, Jeffrey has over Glass. And Bennett is just better at hockey than TK.

Some combination of Jeffrey, Vitale, Bennett and Adams should be our 4th line if we are unwilling to move Cooke from the 3rd. Which I can understand, he's been good there lately.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Nah....Probably would cost about the same as Matthias, and I'd rather have Matthias going forward.

Matthias is not going to be traded. He's young, inexpensive, playing very well with Hubes, and fills a big need for them. When you're selling tickets for $5 a pop and out of the playoff picture, you don't trade players like him. As for Burmistrov he'd make a good 4C to play with Bennett and Vitale (as if), but he'd cost more than he's worth in futures. Not a good fit for our situation. If anything I'd like to trade a couple guys to get some more draft picks this year. Not likely to happen with Crosby out though as Jeffrey and Kennedy are going to be an integral part of Disco's platoon probably.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I don't like the idea of Morrow on Geno's line. Yeah, he drew two defenders to him when Geno scored, but it was two JETS defenders if you catch my drift.

I'm not even sure what I want exactly, because I have a couple of combinations in my head and I'm happy with all of them, so I'd rather just list who I DON'T want in the lineup.

Glass
Jeffrey
Glass

Let the rest of the pieces fall where they may.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
One player I want to eventually become a Penguin is Mathias from Florida. That guy IS Penguins hockey. He'd be damn good here.

Matthias is RFA, does he cost us one of our very good D-prospects.

I think he might. I'm thinking, Bortuzzo. Maybe Dumoulin?

No way. Matthias is a nice player, but we don't need a 4th line C. We have two of the "best" 4th line C's in the league, with Vitale and Jeffrey. After trading Joe Morrow and several draft picks, I would NOT trade any more Dmen. You're talking about trading guys who could be top-4 Dmen on our team for a long time for a guy who wouldn't crack our top 3 centres.

He'd be great if he were a UFA or we got him for free, but that ain't happening. Not long ago, Matthias was considered one of the best prospects in the league. It took him a while no doubt, and his stock dropped during that time, but it now looks like he might be turning the corner and could reach his potential. They are NOT going to let him go for anything less than massive overpayment. It ain't happening.

With the Jets possibly trading Burmistrov - interest?

I have been interested in Burmistrov ever since I heard he might be available; but the assets I would have given up for him (a top D prospect or 1st round pick) have already been traded. So the only way we could get him is if WIN thought so little of him that they were willing to trade him for Dustin Jeffrey or Tyler Kennedy straight up, or a package of the two. Jeffrey, right now, is a better player than Burmistrov, but Burmi has more upside and can definitely play wing. So moving one or both of Kennedy/Jeffrey for Burmistrov is the only move I would be willing to make -- but I'm not sure that WIN would make that move, since they could probably get better offers elsewhere.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
Matthias is not going to be traded. He's young, inexpensive, playing very well with Hubes, and fills a big need for them. When you're selling tickets for $5 a pop and out of the playoff picture, you don't trade players like him. As for Burmistrov he'd make a good 4C to play with Bennett and Vitale (as if), but he'd cost more than he's worth in futures. Not a good fit for our situation. If anything I'd like to trade a couple guys to get some more draft picks this year. Not likely to happen with Crosby out though as Jeffrey and Kennedy are going to be an integral part of Disco's platoon probably.

I can tell you that as of 2 weeks ago, he was available. I just don't know that they still would go for him after acquiring Morrow and Iggy.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Bob McKenzie says Pens looking for a stop-gap center (as we thought), and says Dustin Jeffrey is what we're dangling. Sounds like we're looking for a veteran. I would imagine expiring contract.

Jeffrey deserves a shot to play somewhere, imo. I am just scared at who this veteran stop-gap center may be.

I want somebody to play a top-six role until Sid's back, not some 4th-line drek. We have that in spades.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Bob MacKenzie just said on the TSN trade center panel that the Pens are looking to add a veteran center as a stop gap until Crosby returns. He mentioned that Dustin Jeffrey is available in a package going the other way.

Edit: Damn you, Jags, and your fast fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA