GDT: Penguins Trade Deadline discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Happy deadline day. Remember - this is the Pens GDT and the other one is around the league. :)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
We're stacked everywhere. The only move I'd want to potentially see is a D upgrade, but I think we're done.

I'm not really sure I'd want to see that. Yeah, we struggle a bit at moving the puck in transition with Letang and Martin out, but come playoff time both should be back/close to returning. It shouldn't be an issue.

Same with up front. I'm fine with the overall personnel we have. Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Iginla, Kunitz, Dupuis, Morrow, Sutter, and Cooke is a good top nine.

Basically, it will come down to Bylsma's coaching decisions more than any holes in the lineup.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I'm not expecting anything.

I'd just like to see Bortuzzo get a chance to get back into the line-up, instead of Eaton. Eaton has been great in his role, but we need a real righty and Bortuzzo is LONG overdue for a chance to get in some games.

Also, it was nice -- even though it only took 80% of the season -- to see Jeffrey get some PK time. If nothing else, it should help Bylsma & Co. realize that they don't need to keep Glass for the PK, and can dress Vitale instead.

I hope to see Jeffrey play centre on the top line, and Kennedy on RW on the 4th line where he belongs, with Vitale and Adams, for what can be the "Buzz line #2 with Balls".

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
We have more than enough quality. It is now on Bylma to utilize that quality in the best possible way.
Personally, I think our best team is probably:

Kunitz Crosby Iginla
Bennett Malkin Neal
Cooke Sutter Dupuis
Morrow Vitale Adams (PK)

Orpik Martin
Murray Letang
Despres/Nisky Engo

Flower
Vokoun

But I have no doubt that TK, Glass and Eaton will start the playoffs over Bennett, Vitale and Despres/Engelland. I can kinda deal with TK over Bennett, as TK has improved a lot and historically does well in the playoffs, but I really hope Bylsma will be 2009 about making corrections if someone isn't performing.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
Hate to agree with MM but, the only way TK doesn't "get a hat", is if Shero trades him away. Seriously, keeping him in the line-up by playing him at center on the top line? Please Ray move him for Gordon or someone!

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
We have more than enough quality. It is now on Bylma to utilize that quality in the best possible way.

Kunitz Crosby Iginla
Bennett Malkin Neal
Cooke Sutter Dupuis
Morrow Vitale Adams (PK)

Orpik Martin
Murray Letang
Despres/Nisky Engo

Flower
Vokoun

This is the line-up that I'd like to see. Only problem is that we gave up Joe Morrow for a fourth liner...

AZPenguins

Aug 25, 2009
Tempe, AZ

Kunitz Crosby Iginla
Bennett Malkin Neal
Cooke Sutter Dupuis
Morrow Vitale Adams (PK)

Orpik Martin
Murray Letang
Despres/Nisky Engo

Flower
Vokoun

But I have no doubt that TK, Glass and Eaton will start the playoffs over Bennett, Vitale and Despres/Engelland. I can kinda deal with TK over Bennett, as TK has improved a lot and historically does well in the playoffs, but I really hope Bylsma will be 2009 about making corrections if someone isn't performing.

Completely agree. I would love to see that be the lines/D pairings come round 1. Hopefully HCDB sees the wisdom of your words!

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
This is the line-up that I'd like to see. Only problem is that we gave up Joe Morrow for a fourth liner...

Yeah, that sucks. Obviously there is time for Morrow to go hero-mode.... In the playoffs whete it matters. But with Iginla On board, I really cannot see the purpose/need for him. From what I've seen so far, Kennedy has more impact and Bennett/Vitale too.

AZPenguins

Aug 25, 2009
Tempe, AZ

How would you feel about the 4th liner if that trade helped Iggy feel all warm and fuzzy about Pittsburgh? Not saying it did, but it might have no?

Fire Shero*

From what ive seen and heard Morrow's game has really slipped. He played on the 4th line for a period of time in Dallas so this is not unexpected.

I really don't think Brenden Morrow factored much into Iginla's decision to want to come here. The pens were already in first place and had a healthy Sid.

I just don't like players whose greatest attributes are intangibles off the ice, those are called coaches.

Hopefully he will go into beast mode in the playoffs and it doesnt turn out to be a bad trade.

Last edited by a moderator:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
A game ago, everyone was all "YAY MORROW"

Today it's "I never liked the bum anyway."

You can set a watch to you guys. Jesus.

See also: What this board thinks about Tomas Vokoun.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I haven't read too much, but I thought Morrow played great. He does what he's supposed to do and is a beast in the corners. I just wish he was w/ Geno and Neal.

He also does a great job in front of the net, minus his penalty.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think he's been pretty good so far too, Cole. And he's going to be a pain in the playoffs over a 7 game series. The more guys like that you have, the better.

It's just predictable how everyone here goes overboard following a loss (to end the 2nd longest winning streak in the NHL, mind you). Fairweather is too kind a word, sometimes.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
What has Morrow done to be demoted to the 4th line? If anything, he should be back with Malkin and Neal, where he was most effective.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I haven't noticed a problem with Morrow's game at all either. I thought he looked better on Malkin's line than he did last night but I thought just about everybody stunk last night. Morrow was the least of their issues.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
One player I want to eventually become a Penguin is Mathias from Florida. That guy IS Penguins hockey. He'd be damn good here.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Morrow has been doing his job the games he's played so far.
The things i love about him are, his physicality, he's willingness to go to the net and how hard it is to push him out of there.

He's been very smart with his chipping and getting pucks out of our zone as well. Every time he has a chance to get it out, he's done it. Zero turnovers there.

Morrow will be great for us in the playoffs and can be utilized anywhere in the lineup.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Depth move only if Sid will be out until the playoffs to get through the rest of this season that will be down to 10 games after today.

Nothing wrong with, Marrow.

I would be looking for a depth center who would supplant either Sutter or Jeffrey in the top six. *CHEAP*

Edit: Matthias I see is mentioned. Perfect.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
One player I want to eventually become a Penguin is Mathias from Florida. That guy IS Penguins hockey. He'd be damn good here.

Shawn Matthias played for my hometown team during the lockout, unfortunately I never got to see him, because he suffered a concussion a few games into the season.

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010
A game ago, everyone was all "YAY MORROW"

Today it's "I never liked the bum anyway."

You can set a watch to you guys. Jesus.

See also: What this board thinks about Tomas Vokoun.

+1

It's hard to even come around here after a loss.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Shawn Matthias played for my hometown team during the lockout, unfortunately I never got to see him, because he suffered a concussion a few games into the season.

You thuggish Austrians! :sarcasm: :laugh:

I like Matthias' game, but I doubt he's available for what we can offer. I wouldn't mind Torres, IF we could get rid of Glass or Kennedy and he came cheaply. Otherwise, he's not needed.

I shouldn't say "not on our radar." Everybody in the NHL is "on our radar."

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Matthias is RFA, does he cost us one of our very good D-prospects.

I think he might. I'm thinking, Bortuzzo. Maybe Dumoulin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino