GDT: Penguins Trade Deadline discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

namsnoodle

Feb 27, 2013
Or perhaps some of us who did not feel god about Morrow to begin with see with us the same player who was mediocre for Dallas, and think him not needed... or worse yet believe that in getting him, what will really be accomplished by dealing Joe Morrow will be that Bennett does not play in the playoffs.

The problem with Morrow isn't that he looks BAD. He doesn't. To me the problem is that he looks very meh! I see him battle, but I don't see him winning him battles. Again, that will hopefully change. Early days and all. Anyway. No biggie in the greater scheme if things.

Out of all the tangibles he brings to the table, I think his best is his veteran presence.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
This won't be a popular suggestion but if the Pens are worried about puck moving D being out long-term (Martin and if Letang keeps having issues) they could probably pick up Ryan Whitney on the cheap. I'm not saying they should, but he's a known quantity for Shero and didn't RS say dealing him was the hardest decision he's had to make?

PensFan68

May 6, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Well it's being mentioned that they may look to make one more move. If that is actually the case, I hope Glass gets traded in the process.

I see a depth faceoff/defensive forward coming in. I do doubt Glass gets moved though. He actually has had a couple good games recently, but I doubt there is a market for him.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Are there still people out there that think Bennett will actually see playing time on the big club barring an injury?

PensFan68

May 6, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
no. just people that think he should

I think that's it.

I, personally, have no issue with him not playing. He did a great job and he'll be with the big club next year, but with the trades he really isn't needed. I guess there is a possibility of him on the 3rd line, but he's pretty much wasted if on the 4th.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I think that's it.

I, personally, have no issue with him not playing. He did a great job and he'll be with the big club next year, but with the trades he really isn't needed. I guess there is a possibility of him on the 3rd line, but he's pretty much wasted if on the 4th.

I'm ok with him not playing this season too, but there is 0% chance of him playing on the third line barring injury.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
Or perhaps some of us who did not feel god about Morrow to begin with see with us the same player who was mediocre for Dallas, and think him not needed... or worse yet believe that in getting him, what will really be accomplished by dealing Joe Morrow will be that Bennett does not play in the playoffs.

The problem with Morrow isn't that he looks BAD. He doesn't. To me the problem is that he looks very meh! I see him battle, but I don't see him winning him battles. Again, that will hopefully change. Early days and all. Anyway. No biggie in the greater scheme if things.

Morrow has been winning battles. The goal Malkin scored was created by Morrow when he drew two defenseman away from Malkin.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
There is not one single player Bylsma would play him over.

Neal - Malkin - Iginla
Kunitz - Jeffrey - Dupuis
Morrow - Sutter - Cooke
Glass - Adams - Kennedy
(Vitale)

The only hope is if Shero would get a call today and that team desperately wants Kennedy

Chances are very slim

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah, and even then it's not guaranteed. I'd hate to see him used on the 4th line with offensively inept players.

I'd rather him there than Glass or TK. He's better than both defensively too. Its not like VItale will be there. Bennett - Jeffrey - Adams would probably score a few goals

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
This won't be a popular suggestion but if the Pens are worried about puck moving D being out long-term (Martin and if Letang keeps having issues) they could probably pick up Ryan Whitney on the cheap. I'm not saying they should, but he's a known quantity for Shero and didn't RS say dealing him was the hardest decision he's had to make?

The Oilers now seem like they're keeping Whitney. Not that I'd want him. Or that he'd be acquired on the cheap, either.

As for Bennett, there's no guarantee he'll play next season either. Veterans are always available if that's what the coach prefers.

It'd be AWESOME if Shero would deal someone, ANYONE off the roster right now and say in his presser that the reason so and so were traded was because we believe Beau Bennett is ready to play for us. That type of thing.

I doubt it, but I think it would be a great move.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm more annoyed with Vitale sitting out at this point than Bennett. We literally only played 3 centers last night. And we have a glaringly bad player on the 4th line.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Thought they said he'll (Bennet) be on the team after the deadline? I'd assume that would mean actually playing not just the pressbox, in that case let him get experience in the AHL.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
The Oilers now seem like they're keeping Whitney. Not that I'd want him. Or that he'd be acquired on the cheap, either.

As for Bennett, there's no guarantee he'll play next season either. Veterans are always available if that's what the coach prefers.

It'd be AWESOME if Shero would deal someone, ANYONE off the roster right now and say in his presser that the reason so and so were traded was because we believe Beau Bennett is ready to play for us. That type of thing.

I doubt it, but I think it would be a great move.

Whitney was rumored to Boston a few days ago I guess that died down.

I wouldn't trade for him personally, Letang will be back and Martin will be back for the playoffs

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I'm more annoyed with Vitale sitting out at this point than Bennett. We literally only played 3 centers last night. And we have a glaringly bad player on the 4th line.

That only bothers me when Craig Adams is in his stead. I have no problem seeing Jeffrey in the lineup. In fact, I'm usually shocked when it happens.

I may literally fall off my chair the next time I see Robert Bortuzzo in the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad