Confirmed with Link: Penguins Re-Sign Forward Brandon Sutter to a Two-Year Contract (3.3 AAV)

doob

Jan 9, 2011
No love for Sutter from TSN?

Apparently, Del Zotto signing is more interesting. Geez, Spaling signing was there in the 1st hour of pens announcing and nothing yet from TSN.

Last edited:

Michael8771*

I think this is a very fair deal from both sides. I was hoping for three years at 10 million but this isn't a bad alternative.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, weird how the coaching staff didn't give Sutter the outstanding wingers he deserved when they had so many great options.

It's not like the team had poor winger depth to begin with and 3 of the team's best wing options missed 127 of a possible 246 games last year, or anything.

Lol, what?

It's a combination of giving him better wingers than the crap Shero signed as well as how often Bylsma jugged his line with wingers when he could have just given the guy a chance to actually develop chemistry with someone. There were mainstays for everyone except him.

Vitale had Glass or Adams for the most part, poor guy, can't blame him for booking it.
Malkin had Jokinen and Malkin for the most part.
Crosby always had Kunitz.

Sutter?

Take your pick out of the garbage bin of: Kobasew, Pyatt, Conner, Adams, and Glass.

Whenever Bennett was healthy, he only really got a shot with Sutter consistently until the playoffs, Gibbons took a shift or two with Sutter, Megna looked good with him but then he was benched in favor of Glass, Adams, or Pyatt for god knows what reason...there were options, options for Sutter as well as using him properly, all of which Bylsma failed to do. But yeah, let's pretend the team had a bunch of awesome wingers, none of which I stated, more so about how poorly he was used, how often his wingers were changed and yes, the quality of wingers in the bottom 6, he was given the worst ones when there were decent options in Gibbons, Megna and even Kobasew before he got hurt and never found his stride again.

Jeez man, like...I know you follow the team, you should know this without the lame assumption of something you know I didn't mean because I've stated this in another post.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Apparently, Del Zotto signing is more interesting. Geez, Spaling signing was there in the 1st hour of pens announcing and nothing yet from TSN.

Yeah, a guy that no one really wants is front and center on TSN.

I get that KT is hurt and likely done at this point and his story being on the front page at first made sense, then this bit of news took that over, lol.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
A good half of the guys you listed aren't third liners. Vermette is a 1C/2C depending on Hanzal; Ribeiro had third line minutes. Pavelski plays wing; Couture is a 2C. Henrique is a 2C. Fisher and Smith were 1C and 2C last year for the Preds although the Preds are currently overloaded at center so Smith may play wing. Couturier plays the second most minutes behind Giroux (out of the centers) putting him as a 2C not 3C. Nyquist is not a 3C. Shaw played more like a 2C last year although with Brad Richards who knows the situation in Chicago.

If you are expecting Sutter to compete and play better than 1C and 2Cs in the league while playing with fourth liners and AHL players than it's no wonder why you are disappointed with Sutter.

I already described most of these guys as "3rd line centers sometimes/due to depth," so I'm not sure what you want from me.

Should I pretend that Deboer never plays Henrique as a center on the third line so you can feel better about Brandon Sutter? That Richards hasn't often deployed Pavelski as a checking center? That Couturier is on the Flyers' second line? That Nyquist is likely to knock Zetterberg out of his roster spot?

I'm not going to do any of this, sorry.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
No worries about this deal BUT.... I don't want to inevitably lose him for nothing. I don't want to lose all assets for nothing. That would be annoying.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
I already described most of these guys as "3rd line centers sometimes/due to depth," so I'm not sure what you want from me.

Should I pretend that Deboer never plays Henrique as a center on the third line so you can feel better about Brandon Sutter? That Richards hasn't often deployed Pavelski as a checking center? That Couturier is on the Flyers' second line? That Nyquist is likely to knock Zetterberg out of his roster spot?

I'm not going to do any of this, sorry.

I don't need to feel better about Sutter, sorry.

But I have no idea why you feel the need to use guys who aren't 3Cs and pretend they are 3Cs to devalue Sutter.

EDIT: Self-modded content that was necessarily antagonistic

Last edited:

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
Well, it is a little more money for Sutter than I was hoping for, but after Spaling got 2,2 I figured that Sutter will get more than 3.

Not a terrible deal and I am looking forward to how Sutter plays without garbage on his wings, as most of you do. This is the team that will start the season and I am OK with it, for now. One big key will be Bennett, let´s hope he finally can stay healthy and grab a spot in the Top 6.

The bottom 6 should be a lot better, which is a big plus. And remember, there is always the trade deadline. Work can still be done during the season and it will be needed, we all know that. ;-)

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
Lol, what?

It's a combination of giving him better wingers than the crap Shero signed as well as how often Bylsma jugged his line with wingers when he could have just given the guy a chance to actually develop chemistry with someone. There were mainstays for everyone except him.

Vitale had Glass or Adams for the most part, poor guy, can't blame him for booking it.
Malkin had Jokinen and Malkin for the most part.
Crosby always had Kunitz.

Sutter?

Take your pick out of the garbage bin of: Kobasew, Pyatt, Conner, Adams, and Glass.

Whenever Bennett was healthy, he only really got a shot with Sutter consistently until the playoffs, Gibbons took a shift or two with Sutter, Megna looked good with him but then he was benched in favor of Glass, Adams, or Pyatt for god knows what reason...there were options, options for Sutter as well as using him properly, all of which Bylsma failed to do. But yeah, let's pretend the team had a bunch of awesome wingers, none of which I stated, more so about how poorly he was used, how often his wingers were changed and yes, the quality of wingers in the bottom 6, he was given the worst ones when there were decent options in Gibbons, Megna and even Kobasew before he got hurt and never found his stride again.

Jeez man, like...I know you follow the team, you should know this without the lame assumption of something you know I didn't mean because I've stated this in another post.

Um, I think that you missed the not so subtle sarcasm in RRP's post. He was obviously saying Sutter had **** for linemates last season.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I don't need to feel better about Sutter, sorry.

But I have no idea why you feel the need to use guys who aren't 3Cs and pretend they are 3Cs to devalue Sutter.

EDIT: Self-modded content that was necessarily antagonistic

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1482481

Most recent topic on "best third line centers" I could find.

Pavelski has a **** ton of votes here despite neither playing center nor on the third line according to you. Also mentioned: O'Reilly, Hanzal, Couturier, etc.

But hey, clearly I brainwashed all those Sharks fans into thinking Pavelski has primarily been deployed as a third line center since he's been there.

Personally, I went with Staal because he belongs as a third line center.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
with this sutter contract we have obviously overlooked the actual major Pens news today... Letang cutting his glorious flow :sarcasm:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
It is extremely perplexing that TSN ignored Sutter signing with the Pens. They generally post every signing, regardless of significance. If they didn't post it, did it even happen (sarcasm)?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1482481

Most recent topic on "best third line centers" I could find.

Pavelski has a **** ton of votes here despite neither playing center nor on the third line according to you. Also mentioned: O'Reilly, Hanzal, Couturier, etc.

But hey, clearly I brainwashed all those Sharks fans into thinking Pavelski has primarily been deployed as a third line center since he's been there.

Personally, I went with Staal because he belongs as a third line center.

Pavelski and O'Reilly played as top six wingers last season (after this poll took place) and had career years, so I doubt they will be playing as pivots any time soon unless injury dictates it.

Those guys also make north of 6m+ because they are top sixers. Even when they were technically third pivots, they were logging some of the biggest minutes for fwds in the league, especially Pavelski.

Don't even get me started on Couturier who is so overrated it makes me roll my eyes. He logs more ice time than Sutter, but he really isn't that much better than him. Flyer fans just love to make excuses for his lack of production and his goose egg in the playoffs this year brought out more excuses from that fan base.

There really aren't ten better third pivots than Sutter in the league. He isn't the best one, but he's close and has the talent to prove it this season.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Fair deal for both sides.

After who will be the top 6 wingers, how they use Sutter and the third line will be the most interesting thing to watch in the early season to me. Will it be a 3rd scoring line? Will it be a shutdown line? Will it not have a defined role like it did last year? Will it depend on opponent? Or game situation?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
No worries about this deal BUT.... I don't want to inevitably lose him for nothing. I don't want to lose all assets for nothing. That would be annoying.

The Pens have about $35 million in cap space opening next off season. If Sutter earns it we could extend him when the time comes. It is pretty obvious Sutter and his agent didn't want to make a long term deal based on the season he just had. This was the best that we could get I am sure.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Berglund, Peverly, whoever you'd consider LA's third line center, Fisher/Smith, Nielsen/Grabovski...probably Darren Helm...whoever the heck Tampa decides will center their third line instead of moving to wing (which could be any number of guys).

If you'd then include the "arguables" (Matthias) the might-be-damaged-goods-might-not-bes (Bolland if his knees still work, Weiss if he plays like he did three seasons ago instead of last year, Legwand if he's got anything left) or the "3rd line centers sometimes/due to depth" (Pavelski/Couture, Vermette, Gus Nyquist, maybe Brooks Laich, definitely Henrique depending on how DeBoer decides to use him on any given night) there's kind of a long list of 3rd line centers that are in line with or clearly better than Brandon Sutter.

It's not even clear that Goc is not better, though Sutter's certainly healthier.

Berglund was the Blues' 2C. And actually will likely be used on wing this year, where he's most useful. Sutter's a better center.

Peverley's been more productive over the course of his career. But he's 32 and coming off a health scare. I'd take Sutter for the future.

I might take Nielsen over Sutter. Helm's faster, and that's about it.

Matthias has nowhere near the defensive positioning Sutter has. He's a big guy, but he's still really raw.

Bolland's health is way too up in the air to take him. Legwand was awful towards the end of last year, and was not a 3C in the past. When he was placed in that role recently on a good team, he sucked. Pavelski put up 40 last year mostly on wing. Nyquist played most of last year with Zetterberg and Franzen, so that's a silly comparison. Brooks Laich has been terrible for awhile now and also can't stay healthy. I wanted Vermette here back when we still had Staal so he could fill in at 3C or wing depending on Staal's role. So I could agree with that one just like with Hanzal. Henrique was used all over the place. He's one of their best offensive players and often gets near 20 minutes of ice time. So I don't see how he can be compared to a third pivot here.

I can say I'd rather have Kesler the next two years as our 3C. But that doesn't make it a fair comparison. He's a 2C.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
It's a hard comparison to make because many of those guys (all of the ones that can't transition to wing) would be 3C's here. So they are comparable in that sense, but don't play typical 3C roles for their teams. Of course, one could argue that Sutter could be a 2C or tweener on other teams too.

What we can say is that Sutter is a solid 3C that had a poor year last season under difficult circumstances. He was paid a fair contract given what his peers are making. I'm looking forward to seeing if he can take the next step with competent wingers.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
On the surface, the statement, "Brandon Sutter is a top-10 3C in the league" doesn't really sit well with me. However, I admit I don't know enough about every 3C in the league to disagree with it vehemently. Instead, what I'll say is: If Brandon Sutter is a top-10 3C in the NHL, it says more about the center depth in the NHL than it does about Brandon Sutter.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Not a fan of Sutter, I'm not sure what he brings to the Pens. He soft and at times last years, looked like he played with the passion of roadkill. I look at the makeup of this team and I still see overpaid players throughout the roster. If I were GM of the Pens, Adams, Scuds, Dupuis, Kunitz & Sutter would all be gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad