Confirmed with Link: Penguins Re-Sign Forward Brandon Sutter to a Two-Year Contract (3.3 AAV)

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Eh. Wanted a longterm deal or to move him, but at least he can't walk next summer I guess. Decent AAV.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I like the cap hit. Glad we squared that away. Sucks that he'll be UFA when it's up, but whatever. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Now, ideally, I'd like to see JR make a trade to shore up the top six a bit. Doubt we see it though, only so much can be done in a summer.

Onward to October.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Could have been worse. It bothers me that everybody in our bottom 6 will have new contracts or be released in the next 2 years though.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
3.3, better than I thought, we're gonna be pretty deep this year. Especially if we can acquire a top 6 winger at some point this season (or if KK makes the squad and does well).

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
if his last name wasnt sutter, he'd probably be making half as much.

which sucks, because he has none of the intensity which made the sutters relevant.

seems like this team has a lot of expensive third liner players that will likely only amount to a fairly mediocre third line.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Could have been worse. It bothers me that everybody in our bottom 6 will have new contracts or be released in the next 2 years though.

I'd prefer giving non-core players short term deals (1-3 yrs) over locking them up long term. I definitely would've liked to see us give Sutter a 3-4 yr deal though.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
This is a pretty good deal honestly. The 2 years only bothers me because it lowers trade value, but he'd get a modified NTC in a longer deal anyway. In 2 years, hopefully Sundqvist is ready to take over 3C.

penguins2946*

I was hoping for $3.25 million, so this should be fine.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Nick Spaling robbed him of the 200k extra we all expected him to receive.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
if his last name wasnt sutter, he'd probably be making half as much.

which sucks, because he has none of the intensity which made the sutters relevant.

seems like this team has a lot of expensive third liner players that will likely only amount to a fairly mediocre third line.

No need to exaggerate. No one is signing 25 year old 3Cs with a history of scoring 20 goals and 40 points for under 2 million. 3.3 is more than he's shown he's worth, but it's not outrageous. His QO was 2.7 so we had to pay him at least that.

West Coast Bias*

Good deal. The criticism on him is dumb. He's far and away the best defensive forward on the team and has filled Staal's shoes in that regard. It's obvious that he's not as good offensively as Staal was, but he doesn't have to be. 3.3 is solid.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
I shall celebrate by eating a bowl of vanilla icecream and staring at a wall for 10 minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad