Confirmed with Link: Penguins Re-Sign Forward Brandon Sutter to a Two-Year Contract (3.3 AAV)

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The Pens have about $35 million in cap space opening next off season. If Sutter earns it we could extend him when the time comes. It is pretty obvious Sutter and his agent didn't want to make a long term deal based on the season he just had. This was the best that we could get I am sure.

I don't want to extend him and I don't want to lose him for free. :laugh: To me, I think a lot of players can play the way he does. His defense for the last two seasons is significantly overrated. I will give him a **** load of credit for how he played at the end of last season. That is all. His game is just too weak. It's so hard to see him go in the corners and just baby his way through.

I just can't imagine his game evolving. I pray it does, but he's so passive. He streaks down the ring and fires a wrist shot. He hustles back and plays defense. That's really all there is. If that kid's last name wasn't Sutter, I don't think he'd be a 3rd line center.

I've seen FLASHES of something I like, but it goes away for majority of the season. I just don't see him fitting here.

edit: Good lord I hope i'm wrong.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I don't want to extend him and I don't want to lose him for free. :laugh: To me, I think a lot of players can play the way he does. His defense for the last two seasons is significantly overrated. I will give him a **** load of credit for how he played at the end of last season. That is all. His game is just too weak. It's so hard to see him go in the corners and just baby his way through.

I just can't imagine his game evolving. I pray it does, but he's so passive. He streaks down the ring and fires a wrist shot. He hustles back and plays defense. That's really all there is. If that kid's last name wasn't Sutter, I don't think he'd be a 3rd line center.

I've seen FLASHES of something I like, but it goes away for majority of the season. I just don't see him fitting here.

Yea, the best move would have been to trade him while tendered but unsigned. Then his new team can deal with the contract.

Now, unless we trade him before the season starts, his UFA status is going to severely limit his trade value.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Yea, the best move would have been to trade him while tendered but unsigned. Then his new team can deal with the contract.

Now, unless we trade him before the season starts, his UFA status is going to severely limit his trade value.

It does mean we're most likely keeping him for this entire year, as the first date an extension can be done is 7/1 of next year. So if he's unhappy here, we can let his agent work something out with another team, and trade him then.

It may mean Scuds time here is limited, and I'm fine with that.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

The main point is that it was unreasonable to expect a long term deal. Sutter, like a number of other Pens, was dicked over by Bylsma as far as being put into a position to get the numbers he wanted in a contract year. He was never going to sign long term based on those numbers, especially when JR just significantly upgraded the bottom six.

Let's see what he can do with better players. Yes, he will cost more then, but more than what? We never had a chance at a long term deal with him. This buys us time for a look at him. A LOT of spots are opening, along with a lot of cap space, next year.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The main point is that it was unreasonable to expect a long term deal. Sutter, like a number of other Pens, was dicked over by Bylsma as far as being put into a position to get the numbers he wanted in a contract year. He was never going to sign long term based on those numbers, especially when JR just significantly upgraded the bottom six.

Let's see what he can do with better players. Yes, he will cost more then, but more than what? We never had a chance at a long term deal with him. This buys us time for a look at him. A LOT of spots are opening, along with a lot of cap space, next year.

Yeah Sutter would have been stupid to sign a long term deal. So it was either trade him or do the 2 year deal. Hopefully Sundqvist is ready by the time Sutter's deal is up so if his demands are unreasonable, we have a cheap internal replacement.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com

I can recall a few games, one against Boston in the 2012-13 regular season comes to mind, where he was absolutely an x-factor in a very tight 2-1 (I think) win. Flying down the wing and firing a laser past Rask. There are flashes where he absolutely looks like a star... But they're few and far between.

-edit-

Here's the goal:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
11 of his goals last year were during one goal situations in games. So yeah, I'd say he has a bit of a clutch factor about him.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
Actually, he scores almost the exact same goal in the playoffs against Rask. Makes me wonder if he'd do well on the RW.

Don't watch the last 10 seconds if you want to be reminded of Fleury's play against Boston :laugh::snakehead

Actually, this was the game I was thinking of in the first place: 3-2 win, Sutter scores twice against Khobodin:

Valarukar

Jul 20, 2011
Pittsburgh
If Sutter could put some muscle on I think it would really help him. It could really improve his faceoffs and possession abilities.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I can recall a few games, one against Boston in the 2012-13 regular season comes to mind, where he was absolutely an x-factor in a very tight 2-1 (I think) win. Flying down the wing and firing a laser past Rask. There are flashes where he absolutely looks like a star... But they're few and far between.

The problem is, all of Sutter's flashes are the same: streaking down the wing, firing a wrister, beating the goalie.

Those aren't the flashes I want from my 3C.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
The problem is, all of Sutter's flashes are the same: streaking down the wing, firing a wrister, beating the goalie.

Those aren't the flashes I want from my 3C.

Yeah, but it's better then nothing. We just really needs to see what Sutter can do under a new coach and with better wingers. For all we know Johnston changes his whole game style for the better.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Okay so let's say I buy that argument, how do you replace that production? Show me your lineup since you are playing GM here.

It's complicated since we have to go back to the 2013 offseason. I would have tried to get either Dupuis or Kunitz signed to a two year contract and let the other one go FA. I would have traded Letang last offseason in a package deal to bring an elite forward, hopefully with Sutter. I would not have signed Scuderi, I would have cut ties with Adams as well. To be completely honest, I would have been open to trading either Malkin or Crosby as well. Imagine how you could have reshaped the roster trading One of the top 2, Neal, and Letang. And yes, I believe this team needed and still needs a major roster shakeup. What I see now is a team with old wings, moderate team speed and one of the least physical teams in the NHL. How does that add up to a Cup? It doesn't. IF the Pens do not make any more major moves for 14/15, all it will add up to is another wasted year for the top 2.

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh
Sutter played a lot of time with a lot of players that couldn't maintain offensive zone possession at all last season especially. That's not really conducive to many goals other than on rushes like that.

On the other hand, he's weak along the boards himself and doesn't play the best cycling game in the world. If he finds himself with Bennett and Spaling for example, I think the line could play the type of game we expect from our third line, but not necessarily because of Sutter as it was with Staal.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Spaling's stats suggest he is like a shorter Brandon Sutter, he's not going to be driving possession.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
It's complicated since we have to go back to the 2013 offseason. I would have tried to get either Dupuis or Kunitz signed to a two year contract and let the other one go FA. I would have traded Letang last offseason in a package deal to bring an elite forward, hopefully with Sutter. I would not have signed Scuderi, I would have cut ties with Adams as well. To be completely honest, I would have been open to trading either Malkin or Crosby as well. Imagine how you could have reshaped the roster trading One of the top 2, Neal, and Letang. And yes, I believe this team needed and still needs a major roster shakeup. What I see now is a team with old wings, moderate team speed and one of the least physical teams in the NHL. How does that add up to a Cup? It doesn't. IF the Pens do not make any more major moves for 14/15, all it will add up to is another wasted year for the top 2.

I understand what you're stating. Although I am certainly not in favor of trading away Crosby or Malkin, you cannot get a satisfying return for elite centres like them.

I completely agree that the recipe for success is skill, speed, size, and toughness. Los Angeles, Chicago, and Boston had all of these key features to their team. Pittsburgh certainly has the talent to keep up with those teams, but they're that drive and passion that those teams play with. I haven't recalled them playing like that since the 2010-2011 season, unfortunately many injuries occurred that season.

Hypothetically speaking (of course). If I was the GM, I would want this team to get tougher, I want to see players sticking up for each other, that's the type of mentality that championship caliber teams have.

This off-season has been somewhat satisfying. However, changes still need to be made throughout the season.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I understand what you're stating. Although I am certainly not in favor of trading away Crosby or Malkin, you cannot get a satisfying return for elite centres like them.

I completely agree that the recipe for success is skill, speed, size, and toughness. Los Angeles, Chicago, and Boston had all of these key features to their team. Pittsburgh certainly has the talent to keep up with those teams, but they're that drive and passion that those teams play with. I haven't recalled them playing like that since the 2010-2011 season, unfortunately many injuries occurred that season.

Hypothetically speaking (of course). If I was the GM, I would want this team to get tougher, I want to see players sticking up for each other, that's the type of mentality that championship caliber teams have.

This off-season has been somewhat satisfying. However, changes still need to be made throughout the season.

My first choice wouldn't have been to trade either of the big two, Unless I was blown away with the offer. I do agree with your desire for the Pens to get tougher and faster. I think any player should bring one of three skills to the table. Skill, Speed or Toughness. The problem that I see with the Pens are too many players that don't excel at any one thing. Sutter is a perfect example. He is somewhat skilled, good size but doesn't play physical and an average skater. Add all of that up and it screams mediocre. Which wouldn't be bad if he was surrounded by either size, speed or skill, but he is surrounded by players that are very similar to his makeup.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
We are getting quite off track from what this thread is about. Let's stay on topic. I know it's slow

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah guys... i wasn't joking. This thread is about the signing of Sutter. Why the **** are we focusing on Jeff Carter and Sidney Crosby?

Knock it off.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think Sutter is going to be very good as our 3C. I don't think he just randomly got better at the end of the season. As soon as he got new wings he improved dramatically.

As for going on tangents, we do a lot of that. Is there any way we can have the tangential posts moved to a more fitting thread? If one doesn't exist, can they be moved to a new thread? We cut off a lot of interesting discussion because they are happening in the wrong thread. I get why you cut them off, but I'm wondering if there's another solution other than deleting them?

The discussion that just got deleted for example would either fit into the "do we need more players thread" or could have been started into a new "Do we have enough top end speed/talent to compete" thread.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I think Sutter is going to be very good as our 3C. I don't think he just randomly got better at the end of the season. As soon as he got new wings he improved dramatically.

As for going on tangents, we do a lot of that. Is there any way we can have the tangential posts moved to a more fitting thread? If one doesn't exist, can they be moved to a new thread? We cut off a lot of interesting discussion because they are happening in the wrong thread. I get why you cut them off, but I'm wondering if there's another solution other than deleting them?

The discussion that just got deleted for example would either fit into the "do we need more players thread" or could have been started into a new "Do we have enough top end speed/talent to compete" thread.

I hope this isn't too semantical, but I don't think Brandon Sutter played particularly better in the post season, I just think he produced better in the post season.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I hope this isn't too semantical, but I don't think Brandon Sutter played particularly better in the post season, I just think he produced better in the post season.

I completely disagree with you. Unless you are only comparing to post-deadline regular season. Because he was significantly better after the deadline than he was before the deadline, and kept that going into the playoffs.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I completely disagree with you. Unless you are only comparing to post-deadline regular season. Because he was significantly better after the deadline than he was before the deadline, and kept that going into the playoffs.

You're allowed to disagree, I don't hate you for it :o)

I just don't think he's ever going to be a "good" 3rd-line player. He's not physical, he doesn't drive possession, he's not a defensive force.

I don't think he was particular good in any of those areas in the playoffs. The Penguins played teams that weren't deep and he produced against the dregs of mediocre rosters.

Was he better for those 13 games than he was during a stretch that was so bad he got demoted to the 4th line?

Sure, but I still don't think it was anything remarkable.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
He had the highest quality of competition of our forwards in the playoffs, he started only 40% of his shifts in the O zone and ended 51% of his shifts in the O zone. That's the same % of shifts ending in the O zone as Geno, despite Geno starting 70% of his there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad