Confirmed with Link: Penguins Re-Sign Forward Brandon Sutter to a Two-Year Contract (3.3 AAV)

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Can't argue he's good at the position he plays, but I'd argue he isn't the right fit there. I say that with a disclaimer that we are seeing regular season Brandon Sutter and not playoffs Brandon Sutter. Playoff Brandon Sutter can make a case for being probably the best 3C in the league.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Sutter has his best season as a Pen. I still don't think it's a coincidence that his play improved when he wasn't saddled with Gladams.

I don't think it's crazy to think he can push 40 points while playing sound D and being one of their top PK guys who is the most dangerous short handed.

That's worth 3.3m to me.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Shaw, Couturier, Anisimov, Soderberg, Eller are the only ones where an argument can be made IMO.

Berglund, Peverly, whoever you'd consider LA's third line center, Fisher/Smith, Nielsen/Grabovski...probably Darren Helm...whoever the heck Tampa decides will center their third line instead of moving to wing (which could be any number of guys).

If you'd then include the "arguables" (Matthias) the might-be-damaged-goods-might-not-bes (Bolland if his knees still work, Weiss if he plays like he did three seasons ago instead of last year, Legwand if he's got anything left) or the "3rd line centers sometimes/due to depth" (Pavelski/Couture, Vermette, Gus Nyquist, maybe Brooks Laich, definitely Henrique depending on how DeBoer decides to use him on any given night) there's kind of a long list of 3rd line centers that are in line with or clearly better than Brandon Sutter.

It's not even clear that Goc is not better, though Sutter's certainly healthier.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Could have been worse. It bothers me that everybody in our bottom 6 will have new contracts or be released in the next 2 years though.

2-3 years is good for your bottom 6, don't want them getting comfortable. They need to play like they want a cup, keeping them new, fresh, desperate is a good thing.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
You can't complain at 3.3.

Like a few have said, expected 3.5 no matter the years.

Sutter, 25, is coming off the best postseason performance of his career, setting personal highs in goals (5), points (7) and plus-minus (+7). He also had a career-best four-game scoring streak (2G-2A).

And he hopes he can build off that effort with an expanded role this upcoming season under the team’s new coaching staff.

“I want to continue to become a better player. I hope to have an increased role,†Sutter said. “I think I proved that I can play some significant minutes. I like the changes that have happened with the coaches and forwards. It’s an exciting time.

“I want to be counted on. I don’t want to be looked at as just going out there and killing minutes.â€
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=727914&navid=DL|PIT|home

Sounds a lot like what Staal wanted.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I've seen Sutter called anywhere from a 2C to barely a 3C. What is he?

Below average #2C, good #3C. He still has his weaknesses (board play, physical gm, faceoffs), and in my mind isn't an ideal #3C. Which is why I'd look to move him for someone else.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I like the contract, with better line mates and a coach that isn't an imbecile with player management, people will see in a few months that this is a damn good contract, I think.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Berglund, Peverly, whoever you'd consider LA's third line center, Fisher/Smith, Nielsen/Grabovski...probably Darren Helm...whoever the heck Tampa decides will center their third line instead of moving to wing (which could be any number of guys).

If you'd then include the "arguables" (Matthias) the might-be-damaged-goods-might-not-bes (Bolland if his knees still work, Weiss if he plays like he did three seasons ago instead of last year, Legwand if he's got anything left) or the "3rd line centers sometimes/due to depth" (Pavelski/Couture, Vermette, Gus Nyquist, maybe Brooks Laich, definitely Henrique depending on how DeBoer decides to use him on any given night) there's kind of a long list of 3rd line centers that are in line with or clearly better than Brandon Sutter.

It's not even clear that Goc is not better, though Sutter's certainly healthier.

A good half of the guys you listed aren't third liners. Vermette is a 1C/2C depending on Hanzal; Ribeiro had third line minutes. Pavelski plays wing; Couture is a 2C. Henrique is a 2C. Fisher and Smith were 1C and 2C last year for the Preds although the Preds are currently overloaded at center so Smith may play wing. Couturier plays the second most minutes behind Giroux (out of the centers) putting him as a 2C not 3C. Nyquist is not a 3C. Shaw played more like a 2C last year although with Brad Richards who knows the situation in Chicago.

If you are expecting Sutter to compete and play better than 1C and 2Cs in the league while playing with fourth liners and AHL players than it's no wonder why you are disappointed with Sutter.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Solid deal. His play improved before the playoffs; it improved as soon as we brought in enough players to get him away from Glass and Pyatt and gave him some competition for his spot from Goc. I

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

How many of those guys played with wingers that are equal to Pyatt, Kobasew, Glass, Gibbons, and Adams, hot shot.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Solid deal. His play improved before the playoffs; it improved as soon as we brought in enough players to get him away from Glass and Pyatt and gave him some competition for his spot from Goc. I

His play improved the moment anchors Glass, Adams & Pyatt were far away from him and he had a competent duo of Stemps and Beau, even though Bylsma kept shifting Beau around and still messing with Sutter's line. It was almost as if he hated to see him succeed.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
His play improved the moment anchors Glass, Adams & Pyatt were far away from him and he had a competent duo of Stemps and Beau, even though Bylsma kept shifting Beau around and still messing with Sutter's line. It was almost as if he hated to see him succeed.

He looked really good with Gibbons even.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
You can't complain at 3.3.

Like a few have said, expected 3.5 no matter the years.
Sutter, 25, is coming off the best postseason performance of his career, setting personal highs in goals (5), points (7) and plus-minus (+7). He also had a career-best four-game scoring streak (2G-2A).

And he hopes he can build off that effort with an expanded role this upcoming season under the team’s new coaching staff.

“I want to continue to become a better player. I hope to have an increased role,†Sutter said. “I think I proved that I can play some significant minutes. I like the changes that have happened with the coaches and forwards. It’s an exciting time.

“I want to be counted on. I don’t want to be looked at as just going out there and killing minutes.â€

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=727914&navid=DL|PIT|home

Sounds a lot like what Staal wanted.

To me it sounds like Sutter felt under-appreciated by the old staff. That instead of playing him to his strengths and relying on him to contribute, they just sent him out there to waste time while Sid and Geno were resting.

If he felt that way, between that and his linemates, it makes a lot of sense why he was underwhelming in the regular season.

I'm expecting a good year from him.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

Making plays that help the team win is no good. Gotta get to our game. :sarcasm:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
To me it sounds like Sutter felt under-appreciated by the old staff. That instead of playing him to his strengths and relying on him to contribute, they just sent him out there to waste time while Sid and Geno were resting.

If he felt that way, between that and his linemates, it makes a lot of sense why he was underwhelming in the regular season.

I'm expecting a good year from him.

Well, did you miss the whole complaint he had about not having stable line mates and that it's hard to do anything when you don't know who your line mates are?

The people that hate on him most, are the clueless people that think he had every opportunity to succeed, apparently, with the likes of crap wingers that are now gone over seas or over paid by the Rangers and another given a better shot with the Jackets.

It's painfully obvious he wasn't really used well by Bylsma, he was thrown out there, for sure, and it seemed obvious, he was never given the wingers that he would work well with, instead he was given players that they thought he deserved and he didn't.

I am probably excited most to see him play this up coming season under Johnston's system and the fact that he literally can't go wrong with the wingers he will have this year.

Now if Adams would just retire, my summer would be complete.

He looked really good with Gibbons even.

Yeah, but then Gibbons was used in the top 6 more than he was with Sutter, sadly.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Making plays that help the team win is no good. Gotta get to our game. :sarcasm:

Reporter: What is your game plan Dan?
Bylsma: We will grind them *****es down.
Reporter: What does that mean?
Bylsma: We gotta get to our game.
Reporter: You didn't answer my question.
Bylsma: Blank constipated stare.

This is the whole scenario that pops up into my mind whenever I hear "Gotta get to our game."

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Happy to have him around at a decent cap hit. But I was also open to trading him to get some help in the top 6.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Well, did you miss the whole complaint he had about not having stable line mates and that it's hard to do anything when you don't know who your line mates are?

The people that hate on him most, are the clueless people that think he had every opportunity to succeed, apparently, with the likes of crap wingers that are now gone over seas or over paid by the Rangers and another given a better shot with the Jackets.

It's painfully obvious he wasn't really used well by Bylsma, he was thrown out there, for sure, and it seemed obvious, he was never given the wingers that he would work well with, instead he was given players that they thought he deserved and he didn't.

I am probably excited most to see him play this up coming season under Johnston's system and the fact that he literally can't go wrong with the wingers he will have this year.

It just seems like linemates aside, he felt like the coaches didn't care to use him to his strengths and put him in a position to succeed and contribute.

I mean the statement “I want to be counted on. I don’t want to be looked at as just going out there and killing minutes,†says it all in my opinion.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It just seems like linemates aside, he felt like the coaches didn't care to use him to his strengths and put him in a position to succeed and contribute.

I mean the statement “I want to be counted on. I don’t want to be looked at as just going out there and killing minutes,†says it all in my opinion.

I think overall, we are going to have an amazing season just because there's a coach that has experience, is someone that understands how to use the talent on his team as well as the gritty guys and just overall, someone that doesn't boast about a game plan, but actually has one.

It will go a long way for guys like Sutter, Crosby, Malkin, Bennett and well...EVERYONE!

I can't believe how bad it got with the old management.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

His cap hit would stay because Rejean went cray cray. Adams will never be gone. Never!!!

ui5aol2.gif

It wouldn't surprise me. Who didn't that coaching staff **** with in one way or another? Pets aside, and even they were used in ways they never should have been to their detriment. I doubt they knew how to use him to his strengths or set him up to succeed.

TBH, I remember it as Sutter really turning it up when he got demoted for Goc, then he exploded in the playoffs. He stepped up when he needed to earlier in the season, which lends credence to him wanting that responsibility. He got better linemates, but he wasn't an innocent victim of bad linemates. I think he's better suited to playing with talent, though.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't want him near WBS, the most awesome thing would be to demote him to the ECHL and just give him the massive hint that he's no longer wanted. His cap hit is going to stay no matter what, at least this way he's infecting the ECHL, where really...does it even matter?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Yeah, weird how the coaching staff didn't give Sutter the outstanding wingers he deserved when they had so many great options.

It's not like the team had poor winger depth to begin with and 3 of the team's best wing options missed 127 of a possible 246 games last year, or anything.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
And with 2 yrs, he has term that gives him some decent trade value.

Is he still RFA after the deal is up? Or does he become UFA?

If it's the latter, that will affect his attractiveness to other teams. Especially if he's not dealt until around the deadline or next summer, clubs will only get around a year out of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad