Confirmed with Link: Penguins Re-Sign Forward Brandon Sutter to a Two-Year Contract (3.3 AAV)

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
No problem with this. 2 years gives us a season to see which Sutter shows up and still trade/extend him. Minimal risk.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Happy with this. We're not losing the asset after the year, and an easily movable contract to a team that wants to try him at 2C. I was fearing 4-5 years @ 4-5 mil.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Could have been worse. It bothers me that everybody in our bottom 6 will have new contracts or be released in the next 2 years though.

That's what a bottom 6 should be like. Keeps players working for their jobs, and when they suck or get hurt you don't have them hanging around for 4 years. (Shero does not approve of this message)

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
A healthy 23-man roster doesn't give us enough cap space for an injury call-up, even if the 13th forward is Sill. It also means we'll lose Sammy to waivers. I think we still have to make a move.

Not until Maatta's back we don't.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
He played great in the playoffs. I loved the intensity and drive he had. If we get that guy, 3.3 is a good number. I agree with Jacob though. More than I wanted, but less than I expected. I still think a more hard nosed guy would be better off in that role. I'm also hopeful that Sutter having good linemates helps him

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Not until Maatta's back we don't.

Sure, we don't have to until Maatta comes back. But if we want to have options, we need to do it now.

With Maatta on LTIR and Samuelsson and Sill (cheapest options) taking the #7D at the 12/13th forward spot, we only have 725K in space. Which would mean that Megna or Dumoulin wouldn't be able to be called up unless someone else was going on LTIR.

Karnage420*

So, the defensemen... there's too many once Maatta is back and calling Dumoulin up instead of Samuellson means a little under 1M of cap space until Maatta replaces Dumoulin and to drops to .93M. Tight but doable with no wiggle room... still too many defensemen.

how is there too many?

without maatta:

letang, martin, ehrhoff, scuds, bort, despres
dumo/samuelsson called up to sit on the bench.

with maatta:
letang, martin, ehrhoff, scuds, despres, maatta
bort benched, dumolin/samuelsson sent down.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Good deal and he can play with better linemates it will be interesting to see what happens. Pens third line is really key to match-ups against lower pairings of opponents. killed the Pens last year with crap third line.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
how is there too many?

without maatta:

letang, martin, ehrhoff, scuds, bort, despres
dumo/samuelsson called up to sit on the bench.

with maatta:
letang, martin, ehrhoff, scuds, despres, maatta
bort benched, dumolin/samuelsson sent down.

Because if you want to optimize your cap situation, you use Ulf Jr. as your 7th D man. But Ulf Jr. is subject to waivers. So if you do this:

Martin Letang
Ehrhoff Scuderi
Despres Bortuzzo
Samuellson

Then when Maatta comes back, we lose someone to waivers.

The only way to avoid that fiasco is to either trade someone before Maatta comes back, a tough position considering you have zero leverage, or else start Dumo on the big team and keep Ulf Jr. at WBS. Which costs you about 300k in extra cap.

We need to move someone on D during the season, more than likely.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Sure, we don't have to until Maatta comes back. But if we want to have options, we need to do it now.

With Maatta on LTIR and Samuelsson and Sill (cheapest options) taking the #7D at the 12/13th forward spot, we only have 725K in space. Which would mean that Megna or Dumoulin wouldn't be able to be called up unless someone else was going on LTIR.

We have 1.275 to spend on a forward with Samuelsson as our #7D.

And just as with with Vokoun last year, we'll call up and send down 1 or 2 players to gain a higher upper cap limit by as close to Maatta's cap hit as possible while he's out.

We're fine. But certainly need to move a D at some point if we want Despres, Bort and Maatta all in the lineup. I'm confident that will happen.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I expected 3.5m so I'm happy.

Sutter is one of the better third pivots in the league. If someone can name ten better third pivots than him, amuse me.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
We have 1.275 to spend on a forward with Samuelsson as our #7D.

And just as with with Vokoun last year, we'll call up and send down 1 or 2 players to gain a higher upper cap limit by as close to Maatta's cap hit as possible while he's out.

We're fine. But certainly need to move a D at some point if we want Despres, Bort and Maatta all in the lineup. I'm confident that will happen.

I know how much we have. What I'm saying is if we have an additional injury in the 1-2 months Maatta is out, our options for call-ups will be limited if we don't make another move. We don't have to right now, but it would be helpful.

Frank Gallagher

Guess who's back.
Apr 14, 2009
Pennsylvania
I'm happy with the signing, good to get him under contract for a bit longer. Still very relevant to our bottom six success.

Last edited:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Sutter is one of the better third pivots in the league. If someone can name ten better third pivots than him, amuse me.

Shaw, Couturier, Anisimov, Soderberg, Eller are the only ones where an argument can be made IMO.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

Can't argue he's good at the position he plays, but I'd argue he isn't the right fit there. I say that with a disclaimer that we are seeing regular season Brandon Sutter and not playoffs Brandon Sutter. Playoff Brandon Sutter can make a case for being probably the best 3C in the league.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I know how much we have. What I'm saying is if we have an additional injury in the 1-2 months Maatta is out, our options for call-ups will be limited if we don't make another move. We don't have to right now, but it would be helpful.

Our cap can be as high as 69+Maatta's caphit. The call ups youre talking about will fit. With Botterill still here, we'll maximize that room.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Shaw, Couturier, Anisimov, Soderberg, Eller are the only ones where an argument can be made IMO.

Nielsen/Grabovski (whichever ends up as the Isles #3 center). Nielsen, in particular, is underrated. Great defensively, but with a pretty good amount of offensive skill as well.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

Stoll should be on there, and the centers in Arizona don't seem have a clear 1/2/3, but sometimes Hanzal lines up on the 3rd line.

Our cap can be as high as 69+Maatta's caphit. The call ups youre talking about will fit. With Botterill still here, we'll maximize that room.

I don't see how we'd have enough space to call-up anyone of our choosing. Hopefully it doesn't matter and we don't have any additional injuries.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
One year and 200k/per less than I expected. I thought it would be 3 years for 3.5m/per.

It almost seems more like a one year deal where he'll either build off his performance from down the stretch last year and they'll try to extend him with a raise next summer or they'll try to trade him next summer if he won't agree to another extension. Of course he may not progress and maybe they'll just ride out his deal. That seems like the worst asset management option though.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Stoll should be on there, and the centers in Arizona don't seem have a clear 1/2/3, but sometimes Hanzal lines up on the 3rd line. .

Eh. Id take Sutter going forward over Stoll. If Hanzal is their 3C, fair enough.

I don't see how we'd have enough space to call-up anyone of our choosing. Hopefully it doesn't matter and we don't have any additional injuries

I dont see how we wouldnt. Unless youre talking about having more than a 23 man roster. Show me a capgeek roster where we're over the cap by more than Maatta's caphit.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Eh. Id take Sutter going forward over Stoll. If Hanzal is their 3C, fair enough.

If you consider age, I can see taking Sutter, but I think Stoll is the better player right now. I admit that Hanzal probably isn't totally fair to use because sometimes he's higher on the depth chart.

I dont see how we wouldnt. Unless youre talking about having more than a 23 man roster. Show me a capgeek roster where we're over the cap by more than Maatta's caphit.

Ah. I see where we are disconnecting. I am talking about more than a 23 man roster. Hypothetically, if someone had a short term injury that wouldn't require LTIR space, we wouldn't be able to use a call-up on Megna or Dumoulin as insurance in case someone goes down in warm-ups. Payerl or Harrington would work though. It's not a big deal, it just limits our options a bit. Eventually a move will need to be made.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad