Post-Game Talk: Penguins 3, Stars 1 - And Then There Was One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I just hope Letang and Kessel get rolling, Sprong gets put on Crosby’s right wing, and we start scoring 5v5.

Ideally, this is our lineup come playoffs. (bolded=PKers)

Sheary-Crosby-Sprong(OZ, NZ)
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist(DZ, OZ, NZ)
Guentzel-Brassard-Kessel(NZ, OZ)
ZAR-Sheahan-Rust(DZ, NZ)

Dumoulin-Letang(DZ, OZ)
Oleksiak-Schultz(OZ, NZ)
Maatta-Ruhwedel(DZ, NZ)

Backups/Scratches: Simon, Jooris, Kuhnhackl, Rowney, Hunwick, Pedan, Summers, Prow
(Corrado out for year)

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Sheary isn't good enough to play with Crosby/Guentzel, and Sullivan is running out of time to try someone else there. Its starting to worry me.

Unfortunately, that's where Sheary is "least bad." Other than scratching him, it's the only option, I believe. And the team has too many injuries ATM to scratch him, should Sullivan even consider that.

But I do understand what you're saying.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Unfortunately, that's where Sheary is "least bad." Other than scratching him, it's the only option, I believe. And the team has too many injuries ATM to scratch him, should Sullivan even consider that.

But I do understand what you're saying.

Sheary is ok as a 4th liner with Sheahan/Kuhnhackl (Edit: Jooris would probably be better than 34) but as you said right now there isn’t much of a choice.

Reactions: ncm7772

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I just hope Letang and Kessel get rolling, Sprong gets put on Crosby’s right wing, and we start scoring 5v5.

Ideally, this is our lineup come playoffs. (bolded=PKers)

Sheary-Crosby-Sprong(OZ, NZ)
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist(DZ, OZ, NZ)
Guentzel-Brassard-Kessel(NZ, OZ)
ZAR-Sheahan-Rust(DZ, NZ)

Dumoulin-Letang(DZ, OZ)
Oleksiak-Schultz(OZ, NZ)
Maatta-Ruhwedel(DZ, NZ)

Backups/Scratches: Simon, Jooris, Kuhnhackl, Rowney, Hunwick, Pedan, Summers, Prow
(Corrado out for year)

I mean Sprong won't be here. But one thing I will touch on is simply not using Sid as a defensive line. That's gotta be one of the first times ever. And it's even weirder to say G's line is dominant defensively from the eye test when H-G-H is clicking. Hags is all over the place defensively and Geno is underrated defensively. Hornqvist will block any shot in the playoffs. It will be strange to see if Sully will use them as they should, or if he gets stuck trying to match Sid up defensively against a top line.

Reactions: Shaffer

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I mean Sprong won't be here. But one thing I will touch on is simply not using Sid as a defensive line. That's gotta be one of the first times ever. And it's even weirder to say G's line is dominant defensively from the eye test when H-G-H is clicking. Hags is all over the place defensively and Geno is underrated defensively. Hornqvist will block any shot in the playoffs. It will be strange to see if Sully will use them as they should, or if he gets stuck trying to match Sid up defensively against a top line.
It’s wishful thinking about Sprong. :(

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Sheary is ok as a 4th liner with Sheahan/Kuhnhackl (Edit: Jooris would probably be better than 34) but as you said right now there isn’t much of a choice.
He'd be a fine 3rd liner too, just not with Kessel on the other side. The biggest issue we have with placing him is that the lines that need a wing already have either Guentzel or Kessel on them already, and Sheary is a bad complement to either. That's the one concern I have with HGH is that it uses two of our three top 9 wings with jam (Rust being the 3rd) on the same line. But it's working so well that it's hard to argue with obviously.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

BlankFrank416

Feb 24, 2018
Others have said it, but it was great to see this team show real resiliency after the Toronto game. In last years we’ve seen the Pens turn anger into frustration into losses. This team looked like the team of the last few years in that it turned a shit show into a real solid, simple game.

Also goaltending helped and DeSmth looked pretty solid. If/when Murray comes back who’s your backup/starter in WBS?

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Others have said it, but it was great to see this team show real resiliency after the Toronto game. In last years we’ve seen the Pens turn anger into frustration into losses. This team looked like the team of the last few years in that it turned a **** show into a real solid, simple game.

Also goaltending helped and DeSmth looked pretty solid. If/when Murray comes back who’s your backup/starter in WBS?

Jarry's potential dwarfs DeSmith's. Given that there isn't an enormous difference in their performance this year, I send Jarry down so he can start every game and go with DeSmith as the backup.

Return of the Paek

Jun 19, 2016
I hear ya. I do. I'm with ya. I think we will get...

Crosby w/ Guentzel/Rust
HGH
Brassard with Kessel/ZAR
Sheahan with Sheary and 1 of Jooris/Kuhn/Rowney/Simon

Again, Sheary has proven that he’s wholly ineffective away from Sid. This is especially true in a bottom-6 role. He’s a smurf that falls over constantly, has no puck possession ability, and no physicality. If he’s not on Sid’s line, he should be in the press box.

Reactions: ETA

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Again, Sheary has proven that he’s wholly ineffective away from Sid. This is especially true in a bottom-6 role. He’s a smurf that falls over constantly, has no puck possession ability, and no physicality. If he’s not on Sid’s line, he should be in the press box.
proven? Based on what? He spent 80% of his ice time with Sid last year and about 20% without him. He scored 80% of his points with Sid last year, and 20% without. This year it's the same basic deal, only 60% with and 40% without. But in both of his full seasons, his production has stayed pretty much consistent with or without Sid.

I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong, but I am certainly curious what proof you are basing this on. Because it's not production. The issue is that he's just playing considerably worse than he did last year with or without Sid.

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

I mean - i'm not saying that's what I want. I'm telling you that's what I think sully will do. He has this weird obsession with Rust/Sid together. I think that's what we will see.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I feel like they are going to bring Sprong up as a black ace regardless.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I mean - i'm not saying that's what I want. I'm telling you that's what I think sully will do. He has this weird obsession with Rust/Sid together. I think that's what we will see.
I'd be surprised if it's not his first plan at least.

I feel like they are going to bring Sprong up as a black ace regardless.

I'm sure he comes up. I'm not sure he plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad