Post-Game Talk: Penguins 3, Stars 1 - And Then There Was One

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Does it really matter which is the back-up in the playoffs? Neither is significantly different from the other at this point in their careers. If either plays more than a game or two in the postseason, the chances of winning a series takes the same significant hit.

No youre right, if Murray goes down we are likely done. Id just like to see Jarry lead WBS in the playoffs, giving him more meaningful games to further his development.

Reactions: Selfish Man

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
+Really liked the overall effort and level of intensity
+Dumo and Oleksiak both played to their strengths and abilities.
+Desmith was very solid
+Geno is a terror! And the HGH line were both VERY prominent offensively and defensively
+Largely shutting the game down in the 3rd
-The Refs

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Havent seen this mentioned anywhere..has a team ever had 3 players in the top 10 in scoring while all playing on their own lines?

Its amazing what we have right now with our big 3. Especially considering how they played in the first half 5 on 5. And speaking of that, all 3 of those guys are finally out of the negative in +/- . Kessel + 1...Crosby even. Impressive since they were -13 and -15 back in January.

As for the first statement, no idea how to look it up...if theres been a team with 3 players in the top ten in scoring all on different lines.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Now do this consistently and we may have our shot at the dance.

Do that consistently and you can start planning the parade tbh. That's an insane (and probably unsustainable) level of defensive dominance.

Oleksiak might not rack up huge numbers or be a PP guy, but he's been an awesome addition. Another great diamond in the rough defenseman find for this team.

Maybe I'm being over optimistic, but I feel like he could start racking up numbers when he hits his stride.

Right now there’s not a great deal that can be done with who’s injured.I’ll include Phil in that too.

At this point just say Phil is injured and call up someone.

I think Phil might kill someone if you take his iron man streak away from him. Annoying, but there we go.

Reactions: EightyOne

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Do that consistently and you can start planning the parade tbh. That's an insane (and probably unsustainable) level of defensive dominance.

Huh? You're getting way ahead of yourself here. First off Dallas may not even make the playoffs. Beyond that we gave up what three or four partial breakaways last night? Don't get me wrong, we definitely played better overall. But we have a ways to go before we can take on the Tampas, Bruins and Predators of the world.

Reactions: ncm7772

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I like the focus on d I'm reading about in the post game comments, especially on a back to back. Makes me feel better about my belief that it's not a personnel issue as much as an effort and focus issue. As long as they show that they can flip that switch they can keep the benefit of the doubt.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
The more I see progression from the Oleksiak's of the world here and the more I read/see comments on what that progress can be attributed to, the more I am convinced Gonch needs to be locked up for a significant amount of time to be an assistant coach. It doesn't surprise me that he has transitioned to an effective mentor role as a coach but it's pleasant to see nonetheless. Big ups to one of my all time favorite former Pens dmen.

I wonder how much of Brass's ineffectiveness so far has been a process of deprogramming from that Ottawa system. Coming from Boucher to Sullivan is almost as disparate a change in systems as you can get.

Reactions: BillPrep and ETA

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
+ Took a peek at the Stars GDT, the first 2 pages were absolutely trashing Oleksiak and how he's only a bottom pairing player and that he still sucks. Then he makes a beast of a defensive play and scores against his old team. It was funny to read how pissed they were because of that.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Zone exits by the Pens were markedly better, with the exception of Letang. He continues to be what he's always been: A turnover machine.
Big Rig continues to make some strides in his overall game. Confidence is sexy indeed.
Sid and the kids had some flashes but nothing really awe inspiring.
Defensively, the gap maintained by all was one of the biggest improvements I have seen in a long time. Playoff level forecheck. Gave no quarter to puck carriers. Dumo had a very good game.
While Geno might not win the MVP or make the top 100, he is the best 200' player in the league right now and I think for most of the season.
I see some flashes from Brassard. The bigger issue is Kessel. At least last game. Part of me thinks Kessel is still not 100%, but I could be wrong.

I am really hopeful that all the really bad refereeing calls happen in the regular season. Better now, than in the post season.

Reactions: td_ice

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Huh? You're getting way ahead of yourself here. First off Dallas may not even make the playoffs. Beyond that we gave up what three or four partial breakaways last night? Don't get me wrong, we definitely played better overall. But we have a ways to go before we can take on the Tampas, Bruins and Predators of the world.

My reply was solely aimed at the stat of allowing only 7 ES shots a game. Not who we did it against, not how we did it, just that simple stat. If you're only allowing that many shots a game, you're winning the vast majority of your games. I'm not getting ahead of myself at all on that score. Sure there's harder teams to do it to than Dallas, but that's not the point.

But, since we're here, we can already take on those teams. We're running just as hot as them since January and have beaten all of them this season. That we've chosen Tampa and Boston for two of our off-nights means little - just ask Columbus.

Letang is finding his form? What form would that be, the application form for his brain transplant?

13 points in 19 games, top 10 among dmen for ES points in that period, good +/- and corsi, and nearly twice as many takeaways and giveaways isn't form?

I know stats aren't everything for a reason and that Letang's biggest mistakes rarely show in the numbers, but it does look an awful lot like he's doing something right...

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
When it's all said and done, Dumo will go down as perhaps the most underrated defenseman this franchise has ever had. My man crush on him knows absolutely no bounds.

Reactions: cookthebooks

meechimindoh

Dec 13, 2009
Phil's game is the only thing I didn't like yesterday. Most of the time he gains the zone, slams the brakes and looks for the cross ice pass that is usually covered. Pass does not connect or he is pushed away from the puck with ease.
He needs to 'get back to his game' and take on defensemen, at least use them to disguise the shot. I think he has some type of injury (for a while now) but refuses to miss games.

Letang is playing better overall, despite obligatory boneheaded moment or two.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
For the first time in awhile, Letang after taking that hit in the corner came back with some real shots on the Stars. He was looking to hammer any player who came into his kitchen. Most physical I have seen him in two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->