Post-Game Talk: Penguins 3, Stars 1 - And Then There Was One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Just MY opinion here . . .

IF Mackinnon finishes top 5 in scoring and the Avs make the playoffs, then it SHOULD be his IMO. (he missed a few more games than Geno).

Failing that, I think if Taylor Hall finishes within 10 points of the scoring title and the Devils stay in, then he SHOULD be the favorite.

After that, whoever wins the Art Ross between Kucherov and Geno should win it . . .

It's a fair way to look at it....we should hope COL and NJD don't make the playoffs. I don't think Hall will get within 10 points of the AR leaders. I think whether or not G wins the AR (and I do expect it to be McDavid), even if he ends the year with a few points more than Kucherov, Kucherov will win the Hart. I just think he's the default winner unless Mackinnon is close. Given the bias, I do think G will really have to beat Kucherov point total by a fairly substantial amount to sway the voters towards him....

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Is it anything like the Schultz thread from back in the day?

It's so weird that people don't seem to consider the impact of player development when declaring players busts. Oleksiak has his issues, but he's still only 25 and it's blindingly obvious that there's a great player in there somewhere. His skill set isn't the issue and I'm pretty optimistic we can turn him into something worthwhile.

I checked it out. It devolves into a squabble about what a reclamation project is.

Yeah, you’ve got to wonder what Dallas was doing. You know Schultz got f***ed by a bad org doing predictably bad things and imploded. Sheahan most likely got caught up in a declining team with a bad coach and tanked his confidence. Cole couldn’t get consistent playing time on the Blue’s backend, irrc. Dallas seems to have screwed up Oleksiak’s development and they derailed Niskanen years ago. If Oleksiak is Gonchar’s new trophy then I’d be pissed if I were a Dallas fan.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Hoping ZAR and Rust aren't long coming back cuz you can ice something like:

Jake-Sid-Sheary
Hags-G-Horny/Rust
ZAR-Brassard-Phil
Horny/Rust-Shehan-Jooris

I gotta believe Sully likes Jooris more than Rowney at the very least but Kuhn vs Jooris might be another story.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
lol I know that. I was on a business call and watching on mute, HOW was it offsides? Did Kessel enter the zone early?

Malkin skating on blue line waiting for someone to carry puck in zone. Had one skate in zone and back skate in air off blue line before puck entered zone.

Reactions: Richard

Yuri35

Mar 11, 2018
Just MY opinion here . . .

IF Mackinnon finishes top 5 in scoring and the Avs make the playoffs, then it SHOULD be his IMO. (he missed a few more games than Geno).

Failing that, I think if Taylor Hall finishes within 10 points of the scoring title and the Devils stay in, then he SHOULD be the favorite.

After that, whoever wins the Art Ross between Kucherov and Geno should win it . . .

Dallas top line outchanced Geno 12-9, but they never had a great chance outside of the Letang surrendered breakaway because he was too wide AND Geno was in a defensive shell for like the last 1/3 or so of the 3rd.

I'm 100% good IF this is how HGH is going to be against other teams' top lines and IF this specifically is how Geno is going to engage defensively and physically.

EDIT: Why I love Geno Exhibit Umpteen Thousand . . .

Geno's interviews are so refreshing and somehow funny :D

Reactions: KIRK

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Plus doing that after yesterday. If they’d been sulking brats it wouldn’t have been good but it would have been somewhat understandable.

I feel like that's what have happened in the pre-Sullivan days. Man, this team was a group of world class mopers from 2011-2014.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
pretty good effort tonight, as jiggy said I was also craving for a 2;1 win (or 3;1) this is how you win in play offs, as the game went by our zone exit was better, had some transition speed, a lot of things that can be worked on,

One thing no one mentioned in this thread: I though Shultz looked fantastic in his own zone, stick on stick, quick to the puck, good first outlet pass,

maatta and Ruh with good corsi numbers, but boy everytime they have to defend or make the first pass under pressure its anyone's puck

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
pretty good effort tonight, as jiggy said I was also craving for a 2;1 win (or 3;1) this is how you win in play offs, as the game went by our zone exit was better, had some transition speed, a lot of things that can be worked on,

One thing no one mentioned in this thread: I though Shultz looked fantastic in his own zone, stick on stick, quick to the puck, good first outlet pass,

maatta and Ruh with good corsi numbers, but boy everytime they have to defend or make the first pass under pressure its anyone's puck

Ruh made good passes under pressure.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I think a reason why Maatta's numbers looked good tonight was his ZSR was 66.67%.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Speaking of Oleksiak, I'm really curious to see if he can develop into anything beyond a good bottom pair Dman. With this coaching staff, I wouldn't bet against anything. He has done really well both offensively and defensively from the #5 role and has looked good on a pair with Schultz too. I'd be curious to see how he develops, despite his age, I still think of him as a long term project.

Reactions: Invalid cuz QoC

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Kessel is basically a bystander out there. Doesn’t want to shoot or take any contact. Not helping Brassard at all.
and Sheahan is not a winger, struggling to press from that left side, so very little to work with, really really bad situation for Brass. If they can find him someone like Hags on the left side, Phil's being bystandar would not hurt as much...

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Sheary isn't good enough to play with Crosby/Guentzel, and Sullivan is running out of time to try someone else there. Its starting to worry me.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Great performance, but brasssard has been a ghost. Also, stop discussing line combinations with Sheary on anything but a line with Sid. After all, Sheary is 100% worthless on any other line (in any other role), might as well have him in the press box is he’s going to be on the 4th line.

I need a positive Brass perspective because, to me, he doesn’t seem to be assimilating well to his new team.

He's new, and acclimation can take a little time. A 30 year old 55 point center doesn't turn into a non-factor overnight.

Brassard coming around isn't a matter of if, but when.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Sheary isn't good enough to play with Crosby/Guentzel, and Sullivan is running out of time to try someone else there. Its starting to worry me.

Right now there’s not a great deal that can be done with who’s injured.I’ll include Phil in that too.

At this point just say Phil is injured and call up someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad