Post-Game Talk: Penguins 3, Stars 1 - And Then There Was One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
lol I know that. I was on a business call and watching on mute, HOW was it offsides? Did Kessel enter the zone early?

Nope Geno was skating the blue line and as the puck went over his left skate was in the air.

It’s to the letter of the law but not really why it’s there. He wasn’t skating forward at all

Yuri35

Mar 11, 2018
Great deserved win from the boys.
And so great that Geno got that 87th point from....number 87 himself :sarcasm:
Sid played well by the way, you can see the POs are approaching hehe....too bad he couldn't convert some of his chances.
Anyway, Sid proved again on last play why he is such a great captain and why a guy like Geno who could be probably equal to him in another team loves to be on the same team as him.
Were so lucky to have 2 superstars who are so selfless and so collective trophy oriented.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Pens haven't won a low scoring, one goal game since beating the Jets 2-1 on Oct 26.

Was one of those things I had locked away in my mind for awhile and was hoping to see happen before the playoffs started.

Plus getting over some tacky calls, late hits, and some really questionable reffing without losing their heads.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I've been happy with what I've seen from Jooris, it's nice to have another legitimate NHL option available. I don't think McKegg was that. I'm still waiting for Brassard to really start impressing me, he was invisible tonight and he has left me wanting more so far with his time with the Penguins. I don't think he and Kessel are meshing that well.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Have you read the thread about Oleksiak on the main boards? Oh my Christ, that thread permanently damaged my brain.

Is it anything like the Schultz thread from back in the day?

It's so weird that people don't seem to consider the impact of player development when declaring players busts. Oleksiak has his issues, but he's still only 25 and it's blindingly obvious that there's a great player in there somewhere. His skill set isn't the issue and I'm pretty optimistic we can turn him into something worthwhile.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
Geno actually getting some Hart love from Roenick who sees him as a favorite. Kuch with 32 points in last 29 games...Keith Jones says Kuch has been doing it all year - well so has Geno, except their splits are kind of reversed. Close call - Geno needs like 20 points and and an Art Ross or Rocket to distance himself some.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Unfortunately it will take Geno overtaking Kucherov and maybe Mackinnon by like 10 points I think to get him the Hart...just too much bias against the Pens and the fact that he plays with Sid...

But he has a great chance at the AR if McDavid's leg falls off...

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I've been happy with what I've seen from Jooris, it's nice to have another legitimate NHL option available. I don't think McKegg was that. I'm still waiting for Brassard to really start impressing me, he was invisible tonight and he has left me wanting more so far with his time with the Penguins. I don't think he and Kessel are meshing that well.
I almost forgot on Brassard.. Did he even play? Anyway, it´s a progress. At least he was not noticeable in a negative way, like in some recent games.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Is it anything like the Schultz thread from back in the day?

It's so weird that people don't seem to consider the impact of player development when declaring players busts. Oleksiak has his issues, but he's still only 25 and it's blindingly obvious that there's a great player in there somewhere. His skill set isn't the issue and I'm pretty optimistic we can turn him into something worthwhile.

Agreed!

TBH, I don't go to the main boards much, and I didn't check out the Schultz thread. Don't think this thread was that crazy based on what I've heard about it, but it's just flat out dumb. Stars fans insane, Pens fans insane, neutral fans egging on both sides. Pretty much par the course for the Internet!

Reactions: Brandinho

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

He's too good to worry about. He's a more skilled Bonino.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I almost forgot on Brassard.. Did he even play? Anyway, it´s a progress. At least he was not noticeable in a negative way, like in some recent games.

Unfortunately, I've been perfectly underwhelmed by BRUH-sard. Not saying he's been bad, but I don't think he's been particularly good. BUT, I honestly do believe he will improve.

Return of the Paek

Jun 19, 2016
Great performance, but brasssard has been a ghost. Also, stop discussing line combinations with Sheary on anything but a line with Sid. After all, Sheary is 100% worthless on any other line (in any other role), might as well have him in the press box is he’s going to be on the 4th line.

I need a positive Brass perspective because, to me, he doesn’t seem to be assimilating well to his new team.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Heatmap 5v5
Heatmap.PNG

Penguins total 56.92 Corsi and had 67.74% of the scoring chances tonight. 38% of the Penguins scoring chances were high danger. (5v5)

Kris Letang had the highest TOI for the Penguins, at 27:42. He had a Corsi of 46.43 (5v5). Letang's Corsi Against was 15 and his Fenwick Against was 9, meaning 6 out of his 15 Corsi Against were blocked.

Malkin had a 42.86 Corsi while playing against Dallas' top line.

Powerplay
HeatmapPP.PNG

Penalty Kill
HeatmapPK.PNG

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Unfortunately it will take Geno overtaking Kucherov and maybe Mackinnon by like 10 points I think to get him the Hart...just too much bias against the Pens and the fact that he plays with Sid...

But he has a great chance at the AR if McDavid's leg falls off...

Just MY opinion here . . .

IF Mackinnon finishes top 5 in scoring and the Avs make the playoffs, then it SHOULD be his IMO. (he missed a few more games than Geno).

Failing that, I think if Taylor Hall finishes within 10 points of the scoring title and the Devils stay in, then he SHOULD be the favorite.

After that, whoever wins the Art Ross between Kucherov and Geno should win it . . .

Heatmap 5v5View attachment 104073
Penguins total 56.92 Corsi and had 67.74% of the scoring chances tonight. 38% of the Penguins scoring chances were high danger. (5v5)

Kris Letang had the highest TOI for the Penguins, at 27:42. He had a Corsi of 46.43 (5v5). Letang's Corsi Against was 15 and his Fenwick Against was 9, meaning 6 out of his 15 Corsi Against were blocked.

Malkin had a 42.86 Corsi while playing against Dallas' top line.

PowerplayView attachment 104079
Penalty Kill
View attachment 104081

Dallas top line outchanced Geno 12-9, but they never had a great chance outside of the Letang surrendered breakaway because he was too wide AND Geno was in a defensive shell for like the last 1/3 or so of the 3rd.

I'm 100% good IF this is how HGH is going to be against other teams' top lines and IF this specifically is how Geno is going to engage defensively and physically.

EDIT: Why I love Geno Exhibit Umpteen Thousand . . .

Last edited:

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
This guy needs to be the MVP. IMO it's not even close. However I may be insanely bias.
Yes! He's been unreal. I'm calling Hart, Rocket, Art Ross, and Smythe this year. :naughty:

But not invited to the all star game. I usually don't care much about the individual hardware but I really want it for him. It would be a nice thumb in the eye of the people who didn't give him the credit and respect he deserves.

Reactions: ColePens

Yuri35

Mar 11, 2018
Yes! He's been unreal. I'm calling Hart, Rocket, Art Ross, and Smythe this year. :naughty:

But not invited to the all star game. I usually don't care much about the individual hardware but I really want it for him. It would be a nice thumb in the eye of the people who didn't give him the credit and respect he deserves.

I know it's been sufficiently discussed but his omission from the top 100 list is one of the most stupid thing I've ever seen in sports.
Objectively, even if he stopped his career now, the guy would have a case for top 25 of all time, let alone top 100.
Imagine that if he wins the AR this year, he would have as much ARs as Sid and Ovie COMBINED.
And yet, that guy is not in the top 100? Come on...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad