Post-Game Talk: Penguins 3, Stars 1 - And Then There Was One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
To the Jarry deSmith comparisons... I think Jarry makes everything look scrambly and hectic similar to fleury. I personally don't like that style of goaltending and prefer the non-flashy positional players.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
My reply was solely aimed at the stat of allowing only 7 ES shots a game. Not who we did it against, not how we did it, just that simple stat. If you're only allowing that many shots a game, you're winning the vast majority of your games. I'm not getting ahead of myself at all on that score. Sure there's harder teams to do it to than Dallas, but that's not the point.

But, since we're here, we can already take on those teams. We're running just as hot as them since January and have beaten all of them this season. That we've chosen Tampa and Boston for two of our off-nights means little - just ask Columbus.
I don't think Columbus is in the class of Tampa or Boston. I just think you're over estimating us. We have a lot to fix and remedy before the playoffs. We need MM, We need Rust to play at a high level and be healthy, hopefully Reese plays to his abilities and we dodge further injury. But currently we are in a precarious position and our depth on defense is terrible. I sincerely hope you're right, but right now I wouldn't mention anything about a parade.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Oh cool, it's the rush to proclaim ourselves lower than dirt because we can't handle the possibility of being disappointed part of the season!

Reactions: td_ice

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Oh cool, it's the rush to proclaim ourselves lower than dirt because we can't handle the possibility of being disappointed part of the season!

The earlier you get it in, the more your "I TOLD YOU SO!!!" is worth later.

Get it in early enough and you can cash it in for some free dandruff and belly button lint.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Maybe I'm being over optimistic, but I feel like he could start racking up numbers when he hits his stride.

Yeah, he’s a player where if you told me where he’ll be in a year not much would surprise me. Could be a beast, could be hidden on the bottom pairing.

I saw this on twitter too.. and was baffled by it. What is he talking about?

It looked like he had for a bit. Idk, I think it’s related to when he sees sustained higher minutes.

To the Jarry deSmith comparisons... I think Jarry makes everything look scrambly and hectic similar to fleury. I personally don't like that style of goaltending and prefer the non-flashy positional players.

I think Jarry was better about that earlier. He’s gotten more scrambly as time has gone on.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't think Columbus is in the class of Tampa or Boston. I just think you're over estimating us. We have a lot to fix and remedy before the playoffs. We need MM, We need Rust to play at a high level and be healthy, hopefully Reese plays to his abilities and we dodge further injury. But currently we are in a precarious position and our depth on defense is terrible. I sincerely hope you're right, but right now I wouldn't mention anything about a parade.

Does Columbus need to be as good as those two for the point to be valid - namely that beating the snot out of us in the regular season means SFA come the play offs? You could make the same point about the Caps too. They scored more goals against us in just 3 RS games than they did in all 7 play-off ones last season.

And my parade mention really clearly isn't my estimation of us.

And I think you're over estimating the level needed to win the Cup and that of Preds/Tampa/Bruins. You clearly don't need to be perfect to win it and if those teams are, why aren't they consistently thumping us? How comes none of those teams have kept us below an average of 4 GF a game against them?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Still not completely sold on Horns/Malkin ES. But man... that line as a whole is tough to deny, right now. Completely stifling. People often seem to forget that Malkin is capable of playing some pretty inspired defense when he's at the top of his game and playing with the right guys to help facilitate that. And the players they were going up against last night are some of the best in the league at putting the puck in the net. Geno even had a good night in the circle. Super impressive all around game from that line. I don't want to jinx it but it really feels like Malkin is overdue for an offensive explosion. Though he's still keeping pace, which is good.

It's easy to see why Sullivan made an extra effort to praise his team after that one. They really gave the Stars very little to work with.

Anyone who wants to know what kind of player Crosby is... just watch him look immediately for Geno as soon as he gets control of the puck with the Stars' net empty.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Sid is even now in +/-. A far cry from the -13 or whatever he had in December.

In fact the only really minus players on the team right now are Guentzel (-11) and Rowney (-13).

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
We've moved on from last night's game, so let's move on to the off-day thread. Thanks!

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Actually brought up a thought in my head. Just thinking about what teams the Pens would be favored and which teams the Pens would be dogs against in the playoffs. If i had to apply money lines..

I would put Tampa/Boston at slight favorites. Something like -125 ML, which is like a 53-55% favorite. I think Nashville would be a similar favorite.

Those are the only 3 teams I could think of as being a slight betting favorite against the Pens. Everyone else, I think Vegas would favor the Pens. And it doesn't guarantee ANYTHING, but they'd basically be favorites in the matchup. I don't think we are overwhelming favorites, but definitely favorites in any other matchup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->