Post-Game Talk: Penguins 3, Stars 1 - And Then There Was One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
When we play good team defense we won’t give up more than two goals most of the time. We will be hard to beat when that happens and if we can be consistent with it even harder in a 7 game series.

We know we’ll score. Just need to tighten things up. Our biggest threat these playoffs is really ourselves.

Reactions: EightyOne

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
When we play good team defense we won’t give up more than two goals most of the time. We will be hard to beat when that happens and if we can be consistent with it even harder in a 7 game series.

We know we’ll score. Just need to tighten things up. Our biggest threat these playoffs is really ourselves.

Themselves and health. They definitely have a higher gear than napping Pens, though.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Jarry's potential dwarfs DeSmith's. Given that there isn't an enormous difference in their performance this year, I send Jarry down so he can start every game and go with DeSmith as the backup.
I'm fine with Desmith as the back up. Hell of a lot better than Niemi. Jarry developing is what's most important. He has NHL experience now, no reason why he shouldn't dominate. We're very lucky. I wasn't so sure about our goaltending at the beginning of the season, especially with Murray constantly being injured. Backup performances I feel rely heavily on the team's performance as a whole.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
DeSmith has outplayed Jarry every opportunity he has gotten. Even when DeSmith gets lit up it's never really a "wow he sucks" type of goal. Jarry does that constantly.

I'm in the DeSmith for backup camp. Jarry just looks like he doesn't belong at times.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Weird. I think Desmith looks painstakingly average and gets better play because of it where as Jarry seems to get the wacky play in front of him.

The people who think Jarry looks appreciably worse than DeSmith when he gets lit up are subconsciously being much harsher on Jarry because he was a hyped prospect and DeSmith was an afterthought. Even in the best of times, I don't see DeSmith as more than a future backup. He's Wade Dubielewicz, second of his name. Jarry can be, and I expect he will be, much more.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Weird. I think Desmith looks painstakingly average and gets better play because of it where as Jarry seems to get the wacky play in front of him.

I also don’t see Desmith being the dude who comes in and wins a series. Jarry definitely could be.

Was certainly true this weekend. If we swapped them the results probably don’t change

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

They’re comparably not Murray and lack consistency. They can both have really successful outings and they can both be ugly. Jarry has upside and more of a sample size. The team defensive play has been decidedly unfriendly to the goalies for most of the season.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
1) Really appreciate the tweets. I don't go on twitter anymore as every time I have an account it finds a way to get hacked and i'm not even using it for more than casual following. :laugh:

2) I love the guys are talking about the defense. It could be something that makes them a legit contender for a 3rd in a row.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
The people who think Jarry looks appreciably worse than DeSmith when he gets lit up are subconsciously being much harsher on Jarry because he was a hyped prospect and DeSmith was an afterthought. Even in the best of times, I don't see DeSmith as more than a future backup. He's Wade Dubielewicz, second of his name. Jarry can be, and I expect he will be, much more.
That's an odd comment to make since this forum has a clear bias towards younger players.

You are likely right that Jarry will become better, but he still has too many flaws as of this season, and the Penguins aren't going to win anything if either has to play more than a game or two in the postseason.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
That's an odd comment to make since this forum has a clear bias towards younger players.

You are likely right that Jarry will become better, but he still has too many flaws as of this season, and the Penguins aren't going to win anything if either has to play more than a game or two in the postseason.

Nothing is odder to me than saying "the forum feels this way". How many people are here? This isn't a monolith. I'm specifically addressing anybody who thinks that Jarry has looked appreciably worse in his poorer games. Both goalies have had some ugly, ugly games. Jarry has generally had worse play in front of him. The only way I can rationalize such a statement is that there's a subconscious bias that is causing some people to evaluate Jarry more harshly than is deserved. I think that's more reasonable than saying it's just a stupid opinion.

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Boy the Jarry/DeSmith argument is difficult. I think DeSmith has outplayed Jarry this year, but I also see waaaaay more talent in Jarry than DeSmith. I just think DeSmith keeps it simple and the team definitely rallies around that. I see Jarry's ability much like MAF. Guy has athleticism and can make some damn good saves. His rebound control is suspect.

But ultimately i feel the team could win a series early on if Murray wasn't ready. It wouldn't be pretty, but I think they could. And the chances would be 50/50. But they still could.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Nothing is odder to me than saying "the forum feels this way". How many people are here? This isn't a monolith. I'm specifically addressing anybody who thinks that Jarry has looked appreciably worse in his poorer games. Both goalies have had some ugly, ugly games. Jarry has generally had worse play in front of him. The only way I can rationalize such a statement is that there's a subconscious bias that is causing some people to evaluate Jarry more harshly than is deserved. I think that's more reasonable than saying it's just a stupid opinion.

Fun fact - i had to look up what monolith meant. :laugh:

I stand by the argument is too difficult to provide a clear answer to the Jarry/DeSmith question. I just have to go with what i see in potential. I absolutely see Jarry being a starter in the NHL one day. Not for us, but I could see him being a starter on a bottom 16 team. Kid is still young. I think DeSmith is the perfect AHL 1 goalie who can step in and play hot for a short amount of games in the NHL. Nothing more. Nothing less. That's a good spot for him. NHL/AHL pay.

Reactions: Brandinho

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Tough to say what they do if ZAR+Rust come back soon.
Think it heavily depends how Jake-Sid-Sheary are performing but if they're playing like they have the last 2-3 games, i don't think they'll break that up via putting Rust on RW.

I just hope ZAR+Jooris get a jersey over the Kuhnackls/Rowneys.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Tough to say what they do if ZAR+Rust come back soon.
Think it heavily depends how Jake-Sid-Sheary are performing but if they're playing like they have the last 2-3 games, i don't think they'll break that up via putting Rust on RW.

I just hope ZAR+Jooris get a jersey over the Kuhnackls/Rowneys.

Totally agree but Jooris, who looked good IMO, was sitting for Kuhn/Rowney to get shifts with Sid late in the game defensively.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Fun fact - i had to look up what monolith meant. :laugh:

I stand by the argument is too difficult to provide a clear answer to the Jarry/DeSmith question. I just have to go with what i see in potential. I absolutely see Jarry being a starter in the NHL one day. Not for us, but I could see him being a starter on a bottom 16 team. Kid is still young. I think DeSmith is the perfect AHL 1 goalie who can step in and play hot for a short amount of games in the NHL. Nothing more. Nothing less. That's a good spot for him. NHL/AHL pay.

My sentiments exactly. DeSmith has value, but more in an organizational sense. He's a useful asset. Jarry can be an NHL starter. That doesn't really matter right now because Jarry is still a few years away from that level of play at least, but the gulf in potential is certainly real. Whether it'll be realized remains to be seen.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Oleksiak:

The last one is somewhat interesting because I think Schultz said similar things about GM and other D have but those two were fresh off other orgs.

Oleksiak's quote almost makes it sound like he didn't have someone in Dallas like that.

Speaks volumes about what a job guys like Martin (and now Gonchar) are doing with these reclamation project defensemen.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Totally agree but Jooris, who looked good IMO, was sitting for Kuhn/Rowney to get shifts with Sid late in the game defensively.

I know + PK'ing.
It's worrisome.
Hope it's sorta a, we'll work him into the PK, etc. once he gets the hang of things better.
Jooris is also an emergency recall so very likely going right back down once a body comes back.
Hopefully they see the things he's doing that is a positive and i'm totally fine with burning a call up, if say Simon comes back and send him to Wilkes, thus turning Jooris into an official recall.

Reactions: ColePens

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Oleksiak might not rack up huge numbers or be a PP guy, but he's been an awesome addition. Another great diamond in the rough defenseman find for this team.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
So, you claim "this isn't a monolith" (which is correct) and then state everyone who thinks Jarry has been worse is biased against him.

Have you ever considered your own biases may be coming into play since you think he has gotten less help from his teammates? There hasn't been a noticeable difference to me. And if you take away the two games that Jarry got against Buffalo (worst offensive team in the NHL) where he was hardly threatened due to the play in front of him, he's sitting at .900 exactly. Sorry if I'm not confident in a guy who would be sitting 47th in SV% out of 50 qualified goalies in that scenario.

Additionally, 10 of the 11 games DeSmith has played in are against current playoff teams, when taking into account GP, vs 10 of 25 for Jarry. So unless the Penguins are just for some reason playing way worse against bad teams, your theory of less help for Jarry is on thin ice.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Agree that Jarry has way more potential, but right now DeSmith should be the backup when Murray comes back. Let Jarry lead WBS in the playoffs.

By the way, we usually just focus on what happened at the deadline, but JR made some great trades this year in adding Oleksiak and Sheahan. Who are also both young still and havent reached their full potential(both former first rounders as well). Those are the type of under the radar trades that keeps a team like ours at the top. Makes up for trading so many picks over the years, just keep trading for other teams top picks who couldnt get it going there but have plenty of nhl experience and a change of scenery is all thats needed. Loving the strategy by JR.

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
Does it really matter which is the back-up in the playoffs? Neither is significantly different from the other at this point in their careers. If either plays more than a game or two in the postseason, the chances of winning a series takes the same significant hit.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
As for Brassard, perfect opponent for him coming up in the Rangers. Predicting he gets his 20th on the season( giving us 6 forwards with 20 or more goals) , and his best game so far as a Pen.

12 games left for him to gel before the playoffs. And its been bad timing ever since we got him with Kessel not looking like himself in the very first game Brassard played with us. Not sure whats going on with Phil but id still find other ways to get Brassard more comfortable out there( shifts with Sid for example)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad