GDT: PDF/WCSF Sharks (3) vs Golden Knights (1) Round 2 GAME TWO 5pm NBC

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Half the VGK fans around me left when the disallowed goal was scored, but came back.

Good thing I didn't finish my dinner sandwich as I ate it during 4th intermission.

Very subdued fans. Very undisciplined VGK, like 12 PK.

Reactions: drunksage

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think unless Thornton comes back we'll see Pavelski with Meier and Kane.
I'd do that too but it seems like their preference is to have a more finesse player as the 3rd man on each line a la Boedker/Donskoi/Labanc. It's not that different from the way they distribute out the PWFs. I could get behind doing:

Meier-Pavelski-Kane
Hertl-Couture-Donskoi/Boedker
Labanc-Tierney-Boedker/Donskoi
Karlsson-Fehr-Goodrow

I'd rather have Hansen or Sorensen over Karlsson but that's pretty unlikely to happen. The 3rd line was already having a tough time but having 3 finesse players that aren't very strong on the boards on it could be really ineffective.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
It’s not a coincidence that Pavelski’s line was pretty much a non-factor in a sweep of Anaheim and sucked in game 1 and then suddenly with Meier, Pavelski has what might have been his best game of the season.
Uhh they were actually pretty dominant with a lot of output. Kane took over game 1 and Donskoi took over game 3. That's not say that I don't think Meier should stay with Pavelski....it makes sense to get Kane out running his own line to help create some match up problems for Vegas. Vegas isn't even that fast or skilled, but they have incredible positioning and every line is out there moving the puck with fast transitioins, need to disrupt that.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Tonight was the first time in franchise history that the Sharks won a road Game 2 in the second round.

Crazy stat, huh? It's a bit deceptive, of course, because from 2003-2004 onwards, the Sharks haven't played in very many second round road game 2's. But here are all the round 2 road game 2's in franchise history by my count:

'94 at Leafs (Loss)
'95 at Wings (Loss)
'00 at Stars (Loss)
'02 at Avs (Loss)
'07 at Wings (Loss)
'13 at Kings (Loss)
Tonight (winner winner chicken dinner!)

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I liked the: "I don't see how a team could come back in a series after losing the first game 7-0" narrative that was being pushed. hmm. New to hockey?

Seriously, do people not understand that blowouts mean nothing? They happen very often and they usually have more to do with random variance than anything else.

To me, a win like Winnipeg’s in game 1 against Minnesota where they just completely dominated for the entirety of a close game is a lot more telling than what happened tonight.

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Seriously, do people not understand that blowouts mean nothing? They happen very often and they usually have more to do with random variance than anything else.

To me, a win like Winnipeg’s in game 1 against Minnesota where they just completely dominated for the entirety of a close game is a lot more telling than what happened tonight.

I still think the long time off is what did us in for Game 1. Look at the Lightning tonight. A week off and they get drilled at home. Serious question because I don't know the answer: is their fanbase ready to jump off a cliff like we were after Game 1?

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

For those who ask why we hate Kurz, this man literally makes a living as a hockey writer, and he didn’t even know that the NHL changed the rules at the start of this season to prevent coaches from calling a timeout after their team ices the puck.

Of course, he wouldn’t be all that bad if he didn’t talk to the fans in such a condescending manner as if he is some hockey genius and we know nothing.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I still think the long time off is what did us in for Game 1. Look at the Lightning tonight. A week off and they get drilled at home. Serious question because I don't know the answer: is their fanbase ready to jump off a cliff like we were after Game 1?

Sharks fans are cliff jumping if Vegas has a couple of good shifts in a row.

Reactions: LA Shark

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California

Blowouts are easy to get over and motivation.

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
It's not necessarily that they had fewer chances because statistically they didn't. It's simply that the Sharks were able to skate, slow them down, and not let this one get away from them. They were able to build and capitalize on momentum created this time to stem the tide.

Are you including OT in the statistics for the night? I agree with you that the Sharks played better, which is what led to fewer opportunities for Vegas. The Sharks also were really good at clearing out any rebounds and blocking shots. Vegas didn’t have many second opportunities and sustained pressure until the 3rd when they were behind.

Reactions: ChompChomp

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Are you including OT in the statistics for the night? I agree with you that the Sharks played better, which is what led to fewer opportunities for Vegas. The Sharks also were really good at clearing out any rebounds and blocking shots. Vegas didn’t have many second opportunities and sustained pressure until the 3rd when they were behind.

It depends on the metrics. Overall the scoring chances tonight were 30-29 Knights with the Sharks winning the high danger chances 12-11. In regulation, it was 17-16 Sharks and 7-5 Sharks in high danger. In game one, it was 37-31 Knights and 19-18 Knights in high danger. 5 on 5 though it was a lot closer to even between the two games.

This game just came down to the fact that the Sharks came out with their skating legs and made it tougher on them plus a huge coaching adjustment by DeBoer with having the defensemen stick it out longer at the Vegas blue line when they were trying to break out. That threw a huge wrench in their breakout that slowed them down big time. Vegas never really got into their rhythm because of that adjustment and that was the one thing that more or less went away in the 3rd. While they didn't completely turtle, they did switch from that kind of breakout pressure to the trap. They kept everything to the outside but still let in a goal but that was because Karlsson was an idiot for trying to block that shot that high and Jones let in another softie.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Blowouts are easy to get over and motivation.

People in the main board are calling me crazy and saying I’m doing because I said that blowing a 2-0 lead and losing in 2OT at home to a team rolling 5D without their #1C and #1LW is a more crushing result than getting blown out on the road.

Hello. Free Joakim Ryan. Tomas Hertl is amazing. That is all.

Joakim Ryan is almost certainly playing in game 3. Martin got the Tim Heed treatment tonight in an 85 minute game.

It depends on the metrics. Overall the scoring chances tonight were 30-29 Knights with the Sharks winning the high danger chances 12-11. In regulation, it was 17-16 Sharks and 7-5 Sharks in high danger. In game one, it was 37-31 Knights and 19-18 Knights in high danger. 5 on 5 though it was a lot closer to even between the two games.

This game just came down to the fact that the Sharks came out with their skating legs and made it tougher on them plus a huge coaching adjustment by DeBoer with having the defensemen stick it out longer at the Vegas blue line when they were trying to break out. That threw a huge wrench in their breakout that slowed them down big time. Vegas never really got into their rhythm because of that adjustment and that was the one thing that more or less went away in the 3rd. While they didn't completely turtle, they did switch from that kind of breakout pressure to the trap. They kept everything to the outside but still let in a goal but that was because Karlsson was an idiot for trying to block that shot that high and Jones let in another softie.

Very good observation; the defensemen getting in on the forecheck after line changes was a fantastic adjustment that paid dividends.

Also, maybe not best to look at only 5V5 numbers when Vegas took as many penalties as they did.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Nah. He didn't look tired. He got up fine and climbed right over. Looked nonchalant. More like "we should't be celebrating after the way we played and the way we got blown out last game.
He looked extremely tired and took his time climbing over the bench. He also looked worn out on the walk to the locker room.

Reactions: ChompChomp

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
People in the main board are calling me crazy and saying I’m doing because I said that blowing a 2-0 lead and losing in 2OT at home to a team rolling 5D without their #1C and #1LW is a more crushing result than getting blown out on the road.

Joakim Ryan is almost certainly playing in game 3. Martin got the Tim Heed treatment tonight in an 85 minute game.

If the roles were reversed, the main board people would be saying the opposite. So many non Sharks fans are just cheering for the darling, it's sickening.

As to Ryan, I'll believe it when I see it. I just can't trust PDB when it comes to Joakim Ryan.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Very good observation; the defensemen getting in on the forecheck after line changes was a fantastic adjustment that paid dividends.

Also, maybe not best to look at only 5V5 numbers when Vegas took as many penalties as they did.

I definitely think Ryan should be in, but for DeMelo. He made a nice play on the goal, but he had so many defensive miscues. I get that he has decent mobility, but he misreads the play too often. I’m not sure what Martin did to earn the benching. I was disappointed that nobody asked DeBoer.

If siding is *that* important, then put in Heed instead.

I’m obviously biased towards Meier, but a player with his size who still has great hands, is mobile, and has good speed is so incredibly rare. I didn’t think he’d be able to punish people in the NHL but he’s a beast out there.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
If the roles were reversed, the main board people would be saying the opposite. So many non Sharks fans are just cheering for the darling, it's sickening.

As to Ryan, I'll believe it when I see it. I just can't trust PDB when it comes to Joakim Ryan.

He played him the majority of the year while Paul Martin was in the AHL. The shitty thing for Ryan was that he was having a rough stretch of games before being injured. Burns took off with Martin in the line up. It's a tough break.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I definitely think Ryan should be in, but for DeMelo. He made a nice play on the goal, but he had so many defensive miscues. I get that he has decent mobility, but he misreads the play too often. I’m not sure what Martin did to earn the benching. I was disappointed that nobody asked DeBoer.

If siding is *that* important, then put in Heed instead.

I’m obviously biased towards Meier, but a player with his size who still has great hands, is mobile, and has good speed is so incredibly rare. I didn’t think he’d be able to punish people in the NHL but he’s a beast out there.

Meier is just amazing. I thought his game trailed off a little bit in the final 1/3 of the season and the advanced stats agreed but he has been fantastic in the playoffs. Most players tend to arrive in big games like this when they score a big goal but I thought Meier arrived tonight. He played on the top line with rotating RWs and he and Pavelski looked fantastic. He played the second most minutes of any Sharks player and was great.

However, I’m not sure I trust these numbers from natural stat trick. They say LaBanc only played 4:19 at all situations, yet was on for 29 CF and 20 CA. Yet Vlasic played 37:25 and finished with 32 CF and 38 CA.

Would you agree that Meier is a better player than Kane right now? One thing to consider before answering is penalty differential. Kane is a hot head who takes a bunch of stupid penalties and does shit like gets suspended for big playoff games. Meier is one of the best penalty drawing players in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad