GDT: PDF/WCSF Sharks (3) vs Golden Knights (1) Round 2 GAME TWO 5pm NBC

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I definitely think Ryan should be in, but for DeMelo. He made a nice play on the goal, but he had so many defensive miscues. I get that he has decent mobility, but he misreads the play too often. I’m not sure what Martin did to earn the benching. I was disappointed that nobody asked DeBoer.

If siding is *that* important, then put in Heed instead.

I’m obviously biased towards Meier, but a player with his size who still has great hands, is mobile, and has good speed is so incredibly rare. I didn’t think he’d be able to punish people in the NHL but he’s a beast out there.

One of Timo's strengths when drafted was that he punished opponents physically. Not just on the forecheck but his contact balance. Players bounce off of him.

DeMelo isn't really good at anything. He has a stout heart and plays hard but other than showing decent offensive instincts, he doesn't really have a niche. Compare that to Dillon. Dillon is big, mobile and provides a nastiness and physicality that you want out of a bottom pairing dman.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Would you agree that Meier is a better player than Kane right now? One thing to consider before answering is penalty differential. Kane is a hot head who takes a bunch of stupid penalties and does **** like gets suspended for big playoff games. Meier is one of the best penalty drawing players in the NHL.

No.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I won’t believe that Ryan is playing until I see it, but it’s bizarre that DeBoer would rather play a defenseman he only trusts to play 10 minutes in an 85 minute game over Ryan.

Reactions: ChompChomp

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I won’t believe that Ryan is playing until I see it, but it’s bizarre that DeBoer would rather play a defenseman he only trusts to play 10 minutes in an 85 minute game over Ryan.
Especially when Martin's perceived strong point is his role as the wookie whisperer.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Especially when Martin's perceived strong point is his role as the wookie whisperer.

I’m almost thinking, is DeBoer playing Martin to appease Burns but limiting his minutes on the low? I know that sounds silly but it seems like the most likely explanation.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I’m almost thinking, is DeBoer playing Martin to appease Burns but limiting his minutes on the low? I know that sounds silly but it seems like the most likely explanation.

I don't think its just to appease Burns. The whole team loves Martin being in the locker room and on the bench. I'm guessing he brings some sort of calmness to them and almost acts like a 4th coach. I actually applaud Paul Martin for taking Ryan and DeMelo under his wing. Two players that want his job. Not many vets would do that.

Reactions: SoftDumpInTheCorner

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I don't think its just to appease Burns. The whole team loves Martin being in the locker room and on the bench. I'm guessing he brings some sort of calmness to them and almost acts like a 4th coach. I actually applaud Paul Martin for taking Ryan and DeMelo under his wing. Two players that want his job. Not many vets would do that.

It will be interesting to see who plays on Monday but I really expect Joakim Ryan to draw in for Paul Martin.

Martin does definitely seem like a fantastic glue guy though.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
Just finished watching the game, was able to fight the urge to check the score. My drunk thoughts so bear with me...

1st things 1st, I'm glad we proved to all the doomsdayers that a blow out doesn't mean your totally outmatched in a series. If I remember correctly we dominated the Oilers last year to a 7-0 game 4 final and didn't win another game that series...sure we looked terrible game 1, but were the better team tonight, like we have been in other games vs Vegas this year that we lost.

I thought Jones played well tonight...besides 2 goals. Tough to judge his performance tonight imo. While he made some big stops he did let in 2 that I'm sure he'd like back. Overall I thought more good than bad though.

I thought Burns, Pavs, Meier, Hertl, Cooch were great. Kinda confused on how some thought Couture didnt have a strong game...Hertl was a beast on the puck. Dude has elite puck possession skills. Pavs and Meier were great all night. Would like to see them on the same line in game 3.

Labanc hasn't been great lately and had a rough game 1, but showed why he is out there. His vision and passing can be elite and change a game.

I know Pete will do Pete things, but there is no way Martin can play game 3...right? I mean c'mon. If you have 0 trust in a guy in the 3rd and OT why have trust in him in the beginning of the game? Ryan HAS to play game 3.

James Neal and David Perron are total pieces of shit. Fake tough guys and dirty. They love to make dirty plays then run away like little girls. Was hoping to see Dillon cave one of their faces in.

Overall I thought the Sharks were clearly the better team. Deserved to get this win. Will be interesting to see lineups for next game as I thought Goodrow was good this game. Personally I'd go...

Kane-Pavs-Meier
Hertl-Couture-Boedker
Donskoi-Tierney-Labanc
Goodrow-Fehr-karlsdon/Sorenson/Hansen
(I'm sure it would be Karlsson)

Vlasic-Braun
Burns-Ryan
Dillon-Demelo

Sorry for the ridiculously long post lol

Reactions: Phu

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Martin can still be a good vet presence in practice and before games while sitting in the press box. I do appreciate the merits of leadership and I do applaud him for his attitude and willingness to be a mentor, but I think the Sharks have sufficient leadership beyond Martin.

Reactions: anthonyyy

LeeIFBB

Crossing the Rubicon
Sep 30, 2011
Tanning Bed
Jones made some saves, but let one or two go right through him. Compare those goals to the ones scored against Fleury. It would have been fair for this to have ended a 4-2 win in regulation, but it was a 2OT squeaker.

He has to be better.

Reactions: Phu and WSS11

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Martin has a great taste in music

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Jones made the big saves.

We need Anaheim Jones for sure though

The shaft of the stick save was a gift from the hockey gods. I still can't figure out how Vegas gets most of their goals, low volume and not a lot of danger area stuff. I always feel like its going to get by Jones though haha he really picked it up after the 1st, hope he's back.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I'd do that too but it seems like their preference is to have a more finesse player as the 3rd man on each line a la Boedker/Donskoi/Labanc. It's not that different from the way they distribute out the PWFs. I could get behind doing:

Meier-Pavelski-Kane
Hertl-Couture-Donskoi/Boedker
Labanc-Tierney-Boedker/Donskoi
Karlsson-Fehr-Goodrow

I'd rather have Hansen or Sorensen over Karlsson but that's pretty unlikely to happen. The 3rd line was already having a tough time but having 3 finesse players that aren't very strong on the boards on it could be really ineffective.

No chance Sorensen gets benched the way he has been playing. Not even Deboer is that stupid

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Martin can still be a good vet presence in practice and before games while sitting in the press box. I do appreciate the merits of leadership and I do applaud him for his attitude and willingness to be a mentor, but I think the Sharks have sufficient leadership beyond Martin.

I don't think its leadership persay..I think it's like a calming influence or something. It's hard to explain.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

Seems like it. He obviously doesn’t trust Martin against the speed of Vegas. Not to mention Martin hasn’t been good at all along the boards. Does Deboer trust Ryan less than Martin at this point?

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Seems like it. He obviously doesn’t trust Martin against the speed of Vegas. Not to mention Martin hasn’t been good at all along the boards. Does Deboer trust Ryan less than Martin at this point?

Burns, Pickles, Braun can't play 36 mins a night though (OT I know) has to figure something out

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away

Gene,
You do completely understand Paul Martin because you are him on these boards. You’re so reasonable. It’s amazing. You don’t get caught up in metrics and corsi, it’s a game, played by athletes and it’s entertainment. They don’t owe us anything. We are fans. How you keep your composure is inspiring.

All that said, I have to give huge props to Eric Fehr. He made a few little plays in the OT that are huge in retrospect. Amazing pickup by DW.

Go Sharks!!

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Gene,
You do completely understand Paul Martin because you are him on these boards. You’re so reasonable. It’s amazing. You don’t get caught up in metrics and corsi, it’s a game, played by athletes and it’s entertainment. They don’t owe us anything. We are fans. How you keep your composure is inspiring.

All that said, I have to give huge props to Eric Fehr. He made a few little plays in the OT that are huge in retrospect. Amazing pickup by DW.

Go Sharks!!
I don't know if you can call anyone reasonable when they do stuff like this.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
The shaft of the stick save was a gift from the hockey gods. I still can't figure out how Vegas gets most of their goals, low volume and not a lot of danger area stuff. I always feel like its going to get by Jones though haha he really picked it up after the 1st, hope he's back.

They put the puck on net from all angles. I think it works for them because they have the team speed to get back and eliminate a lot of odd man rushes the other way. I might be totally off - just an observation from the times we've played them this season.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
Lol well...he benched Sorensen and Donskoi in the 1st OT so maybe PDB will PDB...

I really wanna see Goodrow over Karlsson next game though.

I don't see how they can leave Goodrow out of the Game 3 lineup. I think Labanc bought himself another game with that pass despite playing like butt for 4 periods. Melker should be the odd man out imo and he hasn't even been that bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad