News Article: [Paywall] The NHL is shifting to more of a skill-first league, have the Maple Leafs over-corrected?

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Grew up loving Tucker, and can see Hyman developing into a similar type player.

I think we need to go out and get a guy like Boone Jenner who can add size and strength to the line up and maybe a Guy like Gudas as well...

Leafs - Blue Jackets
Andreas Johnsson (skill), Calle Rosen (LHD), 3rd for Boone Jenner

Leafs - Flyers
2nd & Calvin Pickard for Radko Gudas​

Flyers get a 2nd and Goalie with Potential which they need for a d-man they dont really need anymore, Columbus gets a skilled winger to add to their offence, they are already a pretty big team so the addition of a fast offensively gifted winger should help, they also get a LHD to play behind Werenski and Murray

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Jenner - - - Tavares - - - Marner
Hyman - - - Kadri - - - Kapanen
Ennis/Leivo - Gauthier - Brown

Rielly - - - - Gudas
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

The leafs get more annoying to play against while remaining amongst the fastest, most skilled teams in the entire league. Marleau and Jenner could be switched around, and I think the Goat wins the 4 C spot out of training camp this season.

Yes I know, GUDAS IS NOT A TOP PAIRING D-MAN. However he can play top 4 IMO and is the type of guy who could just stay back and allow Rielly to do his thing. This also allows Hainsey to mentor Dermott, while limiting his 5 vs 5 ice time so hes rested for the PK.

Side Note:
That Third Line would be NASTY to play against!

CLB just re-signed Jenner. This would never happen.
While the fit would be perfect, you gotta do a bit of research.

Gudas on the 2nd I could get behind.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
CLB just re-signed Jenner. This would never happen.
While the fit would be perfect, you gotta do a bit of research.

Gudas on the 2nd I could get behind.

I knew he got Re-Signed... thats why I tried to add a little extra

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
People have an agenda on this? I thought all us fans wanted was for the team to win?

Not all hits are the same. I don't think anyone being honest with themselves came away from watching the Boston series with the thought that it was an equally matched series when it came to physicality.
I may be alone in this but to me part of the reason they lost this close series was because they lost the physical side of it. Had they held their own physically they would have came out on top.
Agree 100%. How anyone could have watched the series and think we matched them physically is wrong. We had players running away from being hit. That is pure intimidation.

Reactions: MattyNew91

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
People have an agenda on this? I thought all us fans wanted was for the team to win?

Not all hits are the same. I don't think anyone being honest with themselves came away from watching the Boston series with the thought that it was an equally matched series when it came to physicality.
I may be alone in this but to me part of the reason they lost this close series was because they lost the physical side of it. Had they held their own physically they would have came out on top.
One could argue that had Matthews and Nylander played a little better, they may have come out on top also (without an increase in physical play).

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Tampa beat Boston easily. And I wouldn't call them an overly physical team.

Well ironically, they beat Boston by playing a very heavy game against them, and many of their skill guys led the way: Point was fearless, Stamkos hit everything that moved to a comical degree, Killorn (their JVR equivalent) was a bulldozer, Stralman was his usually underrated chippy self, etc.

You basically need a total buy in to overcome the lack of physicality and size from all your guys.

But it's not like Tampa barely battled their way through a war. All they had to do was crank it up and they dominated winning 4-1.

I'm not saying that increasing the grit factor won't help the Leafs, but I don't think it's all that necessary. And I'm also not sure how we would bring it in..

Our fourth line is barely going to play at this point, and if that's what we want we could have kept Martin. A guy who can bash and be better than Johnsson, Kapanen and Brown so he can play in our top 9 is a pretty big ask. The defense could sure use some help in this regard though. Polak was terrible in too many areas, but at least he sucked to play against.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

I don't buy that. I don't usually play the blame game and I'm not here to bury either guy, but Gardiner and Andersen having terrible game 7's was a vast majority of why we lost. The Leafs had it, even with Bergeron and Chara shutting down Matthews.

Reactions: Jeffrey Pedler

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Tom Wilson, Devante Smith-Pelly and Brooks Orpik all played key roles in Caps Cup win and all were re-signed and brought back because Cap GM understood their contribution to the teams success.

Tom Wilson put up 5-10- 15 points in 21 games playing on the top line with OV and hitting everything in site.
Smith-Pelly scored 7 goals (2 GWG) as 4th liner.
Orpik made sure Holtby could see pucks clearly and made it painful for teams to stand in the blue paint.

Leafs don't feel the need for that ilk as 5-10 speedster Andreas Johnsson is being added instead of Tom Wilson type, 5-10 Connor Carrick (whom Babcock didn't even want to play) is resigned and replaces Polak on RHD 3rd pairing and instead of finding a Smith-Pelly type 4th line power-forward Leafs brought in 5-8 Tyler Ennis who was bought out.

Seems as Leafs saw what was successful in winning and then decided to do the exact opposite and let all team grit go and replaced with small, soft players.

And our team didn't have success with Matt Martin, Leo Komarov, Nazem Kadri and Roman Polak.

Toughness adds nothing to today's game, the guys you named are not just tough like 3/4 of plugs I named, but they also have skill. Orpik is a fine bottom pairing, Wilson is a decent 2nd/3rd liner with excellent speed and Smith Pelly is solid all around, their toughness isn't their primary feature.

Besides, in what series did they "out tough" the other team so much so that it had a big game impact?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Well ironically, they beat Boston by playing a very heavy game against them, and many of their skill guys led the way: Point was fearless, Stamkos hit everything that moved to a comical degree, Killorn (their JVR equivalent) was a bulldozer, Stralman was his usually underrated chippy self, etc.

You basically need a total buy in to overcome the lack of physicality and size from all your guys.

The other half of the equation is you want to have guys on your team who can hurt the other team on routine plays. The more your grinders lay the body, the less healthy your opposition gets. The Pat Quinn era teams used to always take runs at Wade Redden, and by the end of the series he'd be out of gas and banged up.

I guess we disagree...to me Tampa simply outskilled the Bruins. we would have too if we didn't have half a defence...still took them to 7 even with that handicap.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I guess we disagree...to me Tampa simply outskilled the Bruins. we would have too if we didn't have half a defence...still took them to 7 even with that handicap.

We took them to 7 games, having a lead heading to the 3rd period with our goalie playing like dung half the series and our best player being a non factor. If Andersen just makes a few timely saves in that 3rd period we most likely move on.

We need to up the intensity level and commitment to detail not necessarily get "tougher".

Removing both Bozak and JVR should help alot in this regard.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Even the uber skilled Red Wings of the 1990s, a complete anomaly for the era, featured its fair share of muscle, including our own President today. It's not the main ingredient to a winner, but it doesn't go all the way out of style.
There have only been a few true power forwards throughout the last few decades. Shanny was rare...Scoring,physical ,and being able to protect yourself and your team mates ...very rare! The ones who could play that game were usually a fan favorite...where are they now?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
But it's not like Tampa barely battled their way through a war. All they had to do was crank it up and they dominated winning 4-1.

I'm not saying that increasing the grit factor won't help the Leafs, but I don't think it's all that necessary. And I'm also not sure how we would bring it in..

Our fourth line is barely going to play at this point, and if that's what we want we could have kept Martin. A guy who can bash and be better than Johnsson, Kapanen and Brown so he can play in our top 9 is a pretty big ask. The defense could sure use some help in this regard though. Polak was terrible in too many areas, but at least he sucked to play against.

I might earmark Connor Brown as a guy you could upgrade on with more athleticism.

Reactions: weems

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Grew up loving Tucker, and can see Hyman developing into a similar type player.

I think we need to go out and get a guy like Boone Jenner who can add size and strength to the line up and maybe a Guy like Gudas as well...

Leafs - Blue Jackets
Andreas Johnsson (skill), Calle Rosen (LHD), 3rd for Boone Jenner

Leafs - Flyers
2nd & Calvin Pickard for Radko Gudas​

Flyers get a 2nd and Goalie with Potential which they need for a d-man they dont really need anymore, Columbus gets a skilled winger to add to their offence, they are already a pretty big team so the addition of a fast offensively gifted winger should help, they also get a LHD to play behind Werenski and Murray

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Jenner - - - Tavares - - - Marner
Hyman - - - Kadri - - - Kapanen
Ennis/Leivo - Gauthier - Brown

Rielly - - - - Gudas
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

The leafs get more annoying to play against while remaining amongst the fastest, most skilled teams in the entire league. Marleau and Jenner could be switched around, and I think the Goat wins the 4 C spot out of training camp this season.

Yes I know, GUDAS IS NOT A TOP PAIRING D-MAN. However he can play top 4 IMO and is the type of guy who could just stay back and allow Rielly to do his thing. This also allows Hainsey to mentor Dermott, while limiting his 5 vs 5 ice time so hes rested for the PK.

Side Note:
That Third Line would be NASTY to play against!

Don't hold your breath...Tucker had some talent and was a decent scrapper and top notch agitator ,Hyman is none of that!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

You have to re-watch those games, the Lightning literally watched our series and decided to punch Boston in the nose before they got a chance to grind them down. Tampa obviously executed their skill game but a lot of it was by the willingness to run through a wall to make plays as well as to intentionally put the body on Bruins players throughout the series. Guys like Krug and McAvoy were particular targets, which is pretty typical of the Quinn days when our forecheck would key on opposition puck carrying defensemen. The game hasn't been reinvented.

Lightning coach Jon Cooper credits physical play, intensity for Tampa’s victory over Boston Bruins

Reactions: coupe93

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018

I also saw it this way! No...the Leafs were no match for the likes of Chara and company.That said there are many instances fans will point to after looking up from the microscope that is collectively used.
But the time will come this season, when it will be blatantly obvious how soft this team is! If the roster remains as is!

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I'm pretty happy with the diection of the team and wish the season could start today.

Bye Martin. Bye Leo. Bye Polak. Loved having you guys here, but it's time for all of you to move on.

Same for Bozak and JVR.

Welcome to Tavares and all the internal promotions the Leafs can make.

I'm hoping that guys like Ennis are just extras to keep the rookies on their toes, man the press box and provide injury insurance without compromising the development of a younger player.

Reactions: Lauro

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I don't buy that. I don't usually play the blame game and I'm not here to bury either guy, but Gardiner and Andersen having terrible game 7's was a vast majority of why we lost. The Leafs had it, even with Bergeron and Chara shutting down Matthews.
Agreed, I was the first to crap on both players and Babcock as well...but could you see that roster finessing their way past Vegas or Winnipeg for example...I think the lads can take it well enough to get through some dirty play,but would've been nice to of had someone to keep the other team honest! A tall order these days though. Power forwards are not easy to get!

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
And our team didn't have success with Matt Martin, Leo Komarov, Nazem Kadri and Roman Polak.

Toughness adds nothing to today's game, the guys you named are not just tough like 3/4 of plugs I named, but they also have skill. Orpik is a fine bottom pairing, Wilson is a decent 2nd/3rd liner with excellent speed and Smith Pelly is solid all around, their toughness isn't their primary feature.

Besides, in what series did they "out tough" the other team so much so that it had a big game impact?
Agreed, the reason why Washington did so well?
Kuznetsov 32p 24gp
Ovechkin 27p 24gp
Backstrom 23p 20gp
Oshie 21p 24gp
Carlson 20p 24gp

They won because they scored a lot more goals than their opponent. They didn't win because they punched the other team into submission. They had a hot powerplay and their top skilled players were their best players.

Reactions: weems

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
We took them to 7 games, having a lead heading to the 3rd period with our goalie playing like dung half the series and our best player being a non factor. If Andersen just makes a few timely saves in that 3rd period we most likely move on.

We need to up the intensity level and commitment to detail not necessarily get "tougher".

Removing both Bozak and JVR should help alot in this regard.

Andersen was terrific in games 5 and 6 which did help him redeem himself somewhat.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Agreed, the reason why Washington did so well?
Kuznetsov 32p 24gp
Ovechkin 27p 24gp
Backstrom 23p 20gp
Oshie 21p 24gp
Carlson 20p 24gp

They won because they scored a lot more goals than their opponent. They didn't win because they punched the other team into submission. They had a hot powerplay and their top skilled players were their best players.
With all due respect, Washington downright bullied Tampa throughout the series. Looked almost identical to the '16 Bolts/Pens series where it went to 7 but it was obvious who the better team was. Washington cycled them into submission game in and game out.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Andersen was terrific in games 5 and 6 which did help him redeem himself somewhat.

Sure so he was good to very good in maybe 3 games and pretty bad in the others.

I certainly wouldnt say he had anywhere close to a good series.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
With all due respect, Washington downright bullied Tampa throughout the series. Looked almost identical to the '16 Bolts/Pens series where it went to 7 but it was obvious who the better team was. Washington cycled them into submission game in and game out.

Washington brought a heavy, old man game to the series that Tampa couldn't match after their physical series against Boston. The overall point is you just have to have enough variety in the lineup to handle all/most situations that arise in a playoff round. Then multiply that by four rounds.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I wouldn’t say it was a lack of physicality or toughness in the traditional sense that lost us the Bruins series. We lost because of inexperience, lack of pushback, and poor defence/goaltending.

Our best players were 21 and under. Matthews and Nylander were up against arguably the best line in the league and one of the premier shutdown centremen of this era. Matthews may have also still been battling injury. Against Washington Marner was the one who struggled while Matthews shined, this year it was the other way around. Nylander has been okay points wise, but I think he has another gear he needs to turn on to really show what he can do in the playoffs. Rielly was still only 23 and Dermott was a rookie. And even though Zaitsev was older he was still a sophomore and battled injuries and off ice issues all year.

Leafs were also easy to play against. Not due to lack of physicality (I mean Marner was our best player and he’s what many people would believe as “soft”). Matthews and Nylander faced adversity and they wilted unfortunately. JVR and Bozak were their usual soft selves as well. With Kadri gone for 3 games we lost a lot of heart and physicality that may have otherwise helped turn the tide in games 2 or 4. I see no reason why Hyman can’t be our Tom Wilson. The guy was flying out there and made many enemies on the Bruins. And as our players get older and develop more man-strength they won’t be so easy to intimidate.

Andersen had a bad playoffs, no ifs ands or buts. He did good work in the middle of the season, but it would’ve been nice to get a few more key saves from him this series. Granted, the Leafs defensively didn’t help, but two of our weakest forwards defensively are gone, and are getting replaced by Marlies who can skate and have had defensive play drilled into them down in the minors. Tavares is also solid defensively himself, certainly not near as bad as our outgoing players. Rielly and Dermott will get better, and hopefully Zaitsev returns to form.

Leafs do have a little help physically coming up. Grundstrom could win a spot on the fourth line or as the 13th forward and he’s a real grit grinding lunch pail guy. Ozhiganov has been known to lay the body in the KHL, so hopefully that can transfer over here and help make up for Polak’s departure (while being better in other more important aspects of the game). Plus, getting rid of two of our softest players should increase the physicality of this team via addition by subtraction.

It’d be great to get a prime Clark, Lucic, or Simmonds on this team, but those players are rare and difficult to acquire. You either risk drafting them early (and miss out on a better players), draft then late and hope you struck gold, pay a heavy price for them in a trade, or get them as UFAs and by then their prime is done and they’re not nearly as effective as years prior.

Regardless, I don’t think we’ve overcompensated. The Leafs are building a team that's highly skilled, fast, can dominate the puck possession wise and can (or at least should be able to given the talent on defence) transition the puck affectively. There’s no need to try and correct a flaw in the team for something that’s not all that relevant in today’s game anymore. We already saw this story when Nonis tried to correct the Leafs physicality by dropping Grabovski and MacArthur for Clarkson and Bolland. Or the Canucks when they tried to become more physical after losing the finals in 2011.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I think I'll give Dubas more than 3/4 months before I call this version of the team a finished product. But he better have everything fixed by training camp or we're doomed.

Reactions: Menzinger

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Tucker was great, but let's be honest... his 61 point season was all about him, being useful enough to be a beneficiary of Sundin's brilliance on the PP. 36 of 61 points on the PP, and I'd bet the majority were of those that were goals, were the same tip ins, from a Sundin pass. His 59 point season, was off of 19.6% shooting... Tucker had a few good years, until his style of play was figured out. Not that I wouldn't take a couple of good years, of a similar guy now... I would... but he had a very short shelf life, and was primarily a beneficiary of Sundin... not too different than Hyman with Matthews really.

Hyman? Lol. Let's not forget you would take a beating hanging around the crease back in those days. Hyman has never thrown any hits as devastating as Tucks and he never will. Hyman hustles and digs but he's not at the level of grinder with offense that Tucker was. Never will be. Maybe I'm a bit biased tho ...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00