News Article: [Paywall] The NHL is shifting to more of a skill-first league, have the Maple Leafs over-corrected?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I really like Brown and Kapanen as NHL contributors, and I even like Ennis as a player. But none of them particularly strike fear in the hearts of opponents. Lindholm isn’t a particularly big fella. And if you go throughout the rest of the lineup, the team’s biggest players don’t really hit anyone (that’d be Auston Matthews, and maybe Patrick Marleau who will I guess bump some guys but isn’t a crusher). William Nylander and Mitch Marner aren’t getting their sweaters dirty very often. Guys like Nazem Kadri and Andreas Johnsson play gritty, hard working games, but aren’t intimidating anyone.

Basically the only guy who’s both bigger and tough to play (and will fight if necessary) is Zach Hyman.
So, that’s one forward total that I’d rate as a physical presence worth an ounce of fear, and even he prefers to stick check and get the puck back.

On the back end, you have a ton of puck movers — which is great — but go through the list and there’s not a player you’d exactly dread sharing the ice with. Morgan Rielly, Jake Gardiner, Ron Hainsey, Nikita Zaitsev, Travis Dermott, Connor Carrick … each player on their own can do very good things. But I just can’t see a player going into a game against the Leafs and thinking “F***, I do not want to spend a second in front of the net or in the corners.”

Of course, the very idea of this roster construction is that you aren’t in your own end, and the team has the puck the whole game, and nobody can catch you. I still feel like that’s probably the way to go. Just, when I look at the whole lineup at once, I flash back to my playing days, when I legitimately feared lineups full of physical players. Call me soft, but intimidation is still very real in a very physical game — and that’s important to remember, it’s always going to be a very physical game — and can make players pull up, hesitate and rush plays.

If you don't have a subscription I recommend it but I thought this article was worth discussing. The Author makes a very good point that while he agrees the roster is constructed for today's NHL, you need some toughness in the lineup, a point that has been brought up over the offseason.

He later goes on to say that Babcock will not stand for his team getting run over, and will push Dubas to add toughness if he feels they need it. This is a bit scary considering that means likely overpaying for toughness either through assets or through dollars.

Bourne: The NHL is shifting to more of a skill-first league,...

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I hope Leivo and Grundstrom make the team. Bit of size and sandpaper to go with Hyman and Kadri.

Obviously that would be at the expense of Ennis who I don't think adds anything to the team that is missing.
Apparently Ennis has really good zone exit stats. One of the main issues with the Leafs last season seemed to be the inability to exit their own defensive zone and Ennis should help with that if he makes the team even on the 4th line.

Ee97z8S.png

(Don't mind the Nick Shore comparison, I was just curious about him)

It'll be interesting who comes out of camp as the favorite for that 4th line.

As for the article, I read it yesterday and kind of agree with it. The team doesn't need to go and overpay for toughness like in the past but I'd like to see the team toughness improve. Heck that might just mean the kids growing up and sticking up for each other though. You don't need people to try and "strike fear" into the opposing players.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I read it too and it got me thinking that we could use some more grit for the playoffs. I remember when the Leafs sold high on Mike Johnson and brought in Tucker. That kind of a move again might make sense if Dubas can swing it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Someone tough who can play up in the lineup has always been a need. These players are hard to find though.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
I've always said this but we need a player like Wayne Simmonds. Hopefully Grundstrom or Korshkov turn into a similar top 9 winger. Throw the body, pot some rubber

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I hope Leivo and Grundstrom make the team. Bit of size and sandpaper to go with Hyman and Kadri.

Obviously that would be at the expense of Ennis who I don't think adds anything to the team that is missing.

I keep wondering it they think that instead of 3rd line winger, they think maybe Ennis can move back to C, but on the 4th line.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Someone tough who can play up in the lineup has always been a need. These players are hard to find though.

And when you find some that complement the skill players you have a chance to be successful in the April-June portion of the season.

Reactions: ACC1224

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I read it too and it got me thinking that we could use some more grit for the playoffs. I remember when the Leafs sold high on Mike Johnson and brought in Tucker. That kind of a move again might make sense if Dubas can swing it.
The key (like Tucker) is actually getting someone who can play the game.
If the "toughness" or "grit" or "sandpaper" or whatever, can't play everywhere in the lineup (especially compliment the top 6), then it's just a waste. Tucker could do that.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Marchment is a guy who could become a 3rd, more likely 4th liner on this time, and provide some grit. Rasanen perhaps down the road as the 3rd pairing RHD.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I keep wondering it they think that instead of 3rd line winger, they think maybe Ennis can move back to C, but on the 4th line.

I hadn't thought of that but you're right it's possible.

Leivo - Ennis - Brown

Lindholm 13th F

Grundstrom first callup if a winger goes down, Brown moves up and Grundy adds some Komarov pestiness to the 4th line.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Marchment is a guy who could become a 3rd, more likely 4th liner on this time, and provide some grit. Rasanen perhaps down the road as the 3rd pairing RHD.
I like Marchment too, he wan't head hunting but he was physical in the playoffs.

What was that line that had just big guys? I remember Gauthier, Engvall, was Marchment the 3rd on that line?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Even the uber skilled Red Wings of the 1990s, a complete anomaly for the era, featured its fair share of muscle, including our own President today. It's not the main ingredient to a winner, but it doesn't go all the way out of style.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If you don't have a subscription I recommend it but I thought this article was worth discussing. The Author makes a very good point that while he agrees the roster is constructed for today's NHL, you need some toughness in the lineup, a point that has been brought up over the offseason.

He later goes on to say that Babcock will not stand for his team getting run over, and will push Dubas to add toughness if he feels they need it. This is a bit scary considering that means likely overpaying for toughness either through assets or through dollars.

Bourne: The NHL is shifting to more of a skill-first league,...

I agree fully.

You can't ice a team full of skilled waterbugs and think other teams won't expose your weaknesses.

Dubas is too young and naive at this time to understand the league will auto-correct and size with skill will always be the preferred team building strategy as size provides inherited advantage when it comes to winning puck battles. Physicality will always be a part of the NHL or we will soon be a figure skating league and teams will use their team toughness to force their will on small, soft teams to offset skill. I'm surprised Shanny a gritty player in his time and the exact style of player the Leafs lack today hasn't had more influence on his young GM or the Shanna-Plan doesn't have more teeth that can bite back on the roster.

Boston in last years playoffs made Matthews and Nylander invisible and irrelevant using size and toughness to nullify high-end skill. Instead of Leafs recognizing this they went even smaller and let all their few players with any form of grit in Komarov, Polak and Martin etc all go and are replacing them with Johnsson, Ennis and Carrick all players sub 6' and little to no intestinal fortitude.

Lou Lam with 30 years of experience quickly added Leo and Matt Martin to his NYI team understanding the importance of players with pushback ability or your skilled players will be intimidated and abused without retribution.

Babcock loves players that compete and can win puck battles and he will need more player personnel that allows his team to match up better against the opposition or its like bringing a Knife to a Gun fight and you will lose in the long run.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I agree fully.

You can't ice a team full of skilled waterbugs and think other teams won't expose your weaknesses.

Dubas is too young and naive at this time to understand the league will auto-correct and size with skill will always be the preferred team building strategy as size provides inherited advantage when it comes to winning puck battles. Physicality will always be a part of the NHL or we will soon be a figure skating league and teams will use their team toughness to force their will on small, soft teams to offset skill. I'm surprised Shanny a gritty player in his time and the exact style of player the Leafs lack today hasn't had more influence on his young GM or the Shanna-Plan doesn't have more teeth that can bite back on the roster.

Boston in last years playoffs made Matthews and Nylander invisible and irrelevant using size and toughness to nullify high-end skill. Instead of Leafs recognizing this they went even smaller and let all their few players with any form of grit in Komarov, Polak and Martin etc all go and are replacing them with Johnsson, Ennis and Carrick all players sub 6' and little to no intestinal fortitude.

Lou Lam with 30 years of experience quickly added Leo and Matt Martin to his NYI team understanding the importance of players with pushback ability or your skilled players will be intimidated and abused without retribution.

Babcock loves players that compete and can win puck battles and he will need more player personnel that allows his team to match up better against the opposition or its like bringing a Knife to a Gun fight and you will lose in the long run.
Maybe toughness is for guys who lead the "In Nonis we trust" or "defence wins championships" movement, but the issue is those teams have end of season callapses as we saw with Clarkson and Bolland. Skilled water bugs are more valuable then slow tree trunks that get abused talent wise and dont seem to win.
People like Dino Lou are too past the times to understand this, and dont know that slow tree trunk teams get intimidated on the score board.

Rookie GM's like Dubas are incredibly smart and follow the current trend of the league. You be a size team, well expect terrible embarrassing seasons that the "in Nonis we trust" movement was famous for. Good thing is Dubas has a skilled team.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I agree fully.

Dubas is too young and naive at this time to understand the league will auto-correct and size with skill will always be the preferred team building strategy as size provides inherited advantage when it comes to winning puck battles.

He's had his hands on the team for less than 6 months...and he's already landed a franchise center.

You have no idea how this team will be moving forward, but how much change were you expecting?

Unless you wanted to keep Martin, Komarov and Polak, because the Leafs were worse with them than without.

Leafs could definitely use nastier players with skill, but they're not easy to find, and it's not like Lou and Hunter were finding them everywhere.

Give it time, be patient.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I stopped reading when the article said Kadri isn't intimidating and Hyman is the only one who'd drop the mitts.

The guy has the two backwards. Kadri is literally the perfect player for today's game. Very skilled and tough.
At that point I do wonder if the author has even watched the Leafs play games. Who the heck has Hyman thrown the gloves down to fight anyways? He works hard and goes into the corner. But he's not a guy going around punishing the opposition. That isn't his role on the lines he is on. Grunt work in the corners and fight for that puck.

Kadri I can at least remember dropping the gloves with guys like Backes and Thornton. He does actually throw hits.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I agree fully.

Really? because he said as much at the draft, that he understands the league is cyclical. Maybe try following the team a bit more closely rather than throwing cheap criticism around.

and lol at trying to spin the garbage Komarov contract as a positive

member 300185

Overblown. The Leafs toughness is just fine. Most of the teams in the NHL are the same. No worries.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Maybe toughness is for guys who lead the "In Nonis we trust" or "defence wins championships" movement, but the issue is those teams have end of season callapses as we saw with Clarkson and Bolland. Skilled water bugs are more valuable then slow tree trunks that get abused talent wise and dont seem to win.
People like Dino Lou are too past the times to understand this, and dont know that slow tree trunk teams get intimidated on the score board.

Rookie GM's like Dubas are incredibly smart and follow the current trend of the league. You be a size team, well expect terrible embarrassing seasons that the "in Nonis we trust" movement was famous for. Good thing is Dubas has a skilled team.
What?

We need more pushback and comparing the teams from what Nonis had to today’s team is a joke. Far different teams based on talent. This does not mean we need to ship players out but do but need some more players who are at least willing to take a check to make a play. Anyone who watched our series against Boston who did not come away with the thought that we were pushed around and physical intimidated either did not watch or are lying to them self’s. Hyman was our best player on our top line and it was not even close.

This does not mean that we need to ship out several player and trade for slow skating thugs but it sure was a great indicator that we need our current players to at a bare minimum to man up.

Reactions: coupe93 and ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Exactly why the Capitals had to overpay by about 1.5 mil per season for Tom Wilson. :(:(
yeah, that guy is a beauty....you'd think it wouldn't be too difficult to develop your own Wilson type but it does seem to be.
Unfortunately Hyman is too nice to evolve into that type.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
The key (like Tucker) is actually getting someone who can play the game.
If the "toughness" or "grit" or "sandpaper" or whatever, can't play everywhere in the lineup (especially compliment the top 6), then it's just a waste. Tucker could do that.

My man Tucker had 59 and 61 point seasons. We won't have another player like him again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad