Player Discussion Paul Byron

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I see Julien said Byron is doing well again today and they don't think it will be a long term issue. But of course with head injuries, nothing is set in stone.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
Wait, weber is going to go after weegar who challenged Paul Byron to a fight to atone for the concussion that Byron gave weegar?

What the hell did weegar do wrong? Win the fight?

He asked, Byron agreed they both consented and went. Byron got tagged.

Tagging a guy who agreed to fight isn't anywhere near jumping into a guys head by the glass.

Weegar has nothing to fear from the habs for doing what he did. It sucks Byron got tagged but that's on Byron two ways.

If you know old school hockey, you know that is the code, mess with a guy on my team, you mess with me. You have been advocating the fight "solved" something, that it was ok, and now you want to back off the code. You can't have it both ways, but it seems you want your cake, and eat it too.

To be clear, I do not support what happened, I do not support what Byron did, either time, nor going after Weegar as retribution. Byron did a crime, served his time, and apologized. That should have been the end of it. Anything else is Neanderthal stuff.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I see Julien said Byron is doing well again today and they don't think it will be a long term issue. But of course with head injuries, nothing is set in stone.
they said the same about danault last year. as tempting as it is to rush him back, long term should be the priority.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
[QUOTE="Stoneburg, post: 158671715, member: 17522"]If you know old school hockey, you know that is the code, mess with a guy on my team, you mess with me. You have been advocating the fight "solved" something, that it was ok, and now you want to back off the code. You can't have it both ways, but it seems you want your cake, and eat it too.

To be clear, I do not support what happened, I do not support what Byron did, either time, nor going after Weegar as retribution. Byron did a crime, served his time, and apologized. That should have been the end of it. Anything else is Neanderthal stuff.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's right, Cherry said essentially the same thing last Coaches Corner. The players on the ice should have intervened before Byron got pummelled, knowing Byron isn't a fighter and is much smaller- that's right 3" shorter but > 40 lbs lighter. Let's see who was on the ice at the time- Petry, Kulak, Weal, and Thompson.

Petry never engages in that way, Weal is too small, Kulak or Thompson should have at least got involved..

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
[QUOTE="Stoneburg, post: 158671715, member: 17522"]If you know old school hockey, you know that is the code, mess with a guy on my team, you mess with me. You have been advocating the fight "solved" something, that it was ok, and now you want to back off the code. You can't have it both ways, but it seems you want your cake, and eat it too.

To be clear, I do not support what happened, I do not support what Byron did, either time, nor going after Weegar as retribution. Byron did a crime, served his time, and apologized. That should have been the end of it. Anything else is Neanderthal stuff.

Yes, that's right, Cherry said essentially the same thing last Coaches Corner. The players on the ice should have intervened before Byron got pummelled, knowing Byron isn't a fighter and is much smaller- that's right 3" shorter but > 40 lbs lighter. Let's see who was on the ice at the time- Petry, Kulak, Weal, and Thompson.

Petry never engages in that way, Weal is too small, Kulak or Thompson should have at least got involved..

This team hasn't stuck up for each other all year, why start now? Webs hasn't done anything, Thompson is a dullard, Deslauriers has had... one fight? Soft team.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
This team hasn't stuck up for each other all year, why start now? Webs hasn't done anything, Thompson is a dullard, Deslauriers has had... one fight? Soft team.

So true, think last player we had that would stick up for anyone like that was Prust.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta

[/QUOTE]

Watching it again, one of them would have had to sprint a good ways to prevent it from happening. In the end, this is all on Byron and the choice he made to fight.

Reactions: overlords

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015

Watching it again, one of them would have had to sprint a good ways to prevent it from happening. In the end, this is all on Byron and the choice he made to fight.[/QUOTE]

Yea I guess it's too much to ask for someone to sprint, obviously bad choice on Byron's part.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
So true, think last player we had that would stick up for anyone like that was Prust.
Domi was definitely sticking up for players the first half of the season and was called an idiot for fighting so much by plenty of people on here. He definitely realizes his value is much higher on the ice than off. Shaw has a couple times from my memory but again he would be an idiot to do so considering his concussion history. We definitely had a lot more spunk at the start of the season.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Yeah, that's probably it to be honest. Weber 'used' to stick up for Price and clear the crease, not sure whats up with him these days but he look emotionally uninterested since the Rangers kicked the snot out of us in the first round.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Domi was definitely sticking up for players the first half of the season and was called an idiot for fighting so much by plenty of people on here. He definitely realizes his value is much higher on the ice than off. Shaw has a couple times from my memory but again he would be an idiot to do so considering his concussion history. We definitely had a lot more spunk at the start of the season.

Domi's a bit on the small side, just a matter of time before he gets ruined, same with Shaw, team toughness is something we've been lacking for a long time.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Yeah, that's probably it to be honest. Weber 'used' to stick up for Price and clear the crease, not sure whats up with him these days but he look emotionally uninterested since the Rangers kicked the snot out of us in the first round.

Injuries and aging catching up with him, he can't even pivot forget about winning any foot race, and I think he's had only 2 fights past 3 years so his fighting days are pretty much over.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
for who ? and when ?

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
for who ? and when ?
Fought Ekblad in the preseason after he went over the line a few times, Orlov for similar reasons, Debrusk after a hit on a player I can't remember, Foligno after tripping Reilly into the boards, trying to head hunt Johnsson in that leafs game after he was trying to do the same

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Fought Ekblad in the preseason after he went over the line a few times, Orlov for similar reasons, Debrusk after a hit on a player I can't remember, Foligno after tripping Reilly into the boards, trying to head hunt Johnsson in that leafs game after he was trying to do the same
dont remember a single one of em, guess that shows how interested I am in these "fights". :laugh:

Reactions: JuicyHam

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Yea I guess it's too much to ask for someone to sprint, obviously bad choice on Byron's part.
Not too much to ask, but when your assistant captain drops his gloves and squares up, your immediate reaction as someone that doesn't ordinarily fight isn't "I'd better get over there and stop him". Now had DLO been on the ice, perhaps I would get on him for not stepping in.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Just accept what you are. Don't force yourself by doing extra actions. Who could destruct your own body. We love you much as you were. Neither more nor less. Your presence is precious and indispensable more than you think.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Not too much to ask, but when your assistant captain drops his gloves and squares up, your immediate reaction as someone that doesn't ordinarily fight isn't "I'd better get over there and stop him". Now had DLO been on the ice, perhaps I would get on him for not stepping in.

If they made an effort any of those 4 players could have stepped in to come between the combatants, even the smaller Weal and non combative Petry, all they had to do was some clutching and holding. Too late now, hopefully Byron has a full recovery.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
If they made an effort any of those 4 players could have stepped in to come between the combatants, even the smaller Weal and non combative Petry, all they had to do was some clutching and holding. Too late now, hopefully Byron has a full recovery.
All Byron had to do was clutch and hold. Apparently not as easy as it seems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad