Player Discussion Paul Byron

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Byron or Kulak I had for my choice for Jacques Beauchamp this season.

It's Danault. 51pts, +20. Going up against all the top lines this year.

Byron would've been a good pick too, but he's missed a lot of time to injury this year. 25 games so far.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“Personally, I don't think I've changed... I was always a pretty good goal scorer... Even coming into the American League. My first year I had 15 and I had a couple of injuries where I had some inconsistencies that year. The next year I had 27. I've always been able to score. When I got moved out west, I always thought that I had to be a grinder and a fourth line guy to make it to the NHL. I created a lot of chances when I was in Calgary. I just wasn't getting the chances and the right bounces when I was playing in Calgary. I think so even for guys in the American League. It's not easy stealing somebody's spot and coming into the NHL. Young guys are too impatient. They get frustrated. We all think we should be in the NHL.,. Coming out of Junior, we all think we're good enough, but the reality is there are a lot of good hockey players around the world. You've just got to keep fighting and keep digging and eventually I think you'll earn a spot. You've just got to stay patient and keep the right mindset and focus, Over the last few years, I knew that I was capable of scoring goals... When I got here, I knew that I could bring something good to the team. I kept on working hard and now I'm capitalizing on the good bounces I get. Everybody knows that when you start scoring confidence come. You start believing in yourself more.... That's always been my forte. I've been priding myself on making sure I'm an easy guy to play with. Just trying to feed off my linemates and do whatever I can to support them. Be a good guy to play with and be someone guys want to play with. My speed is definitely what I think got me to the NHL. Playing for Bob Hartley in Calgary, he always used me in all situations, too. And coming to Montreal and given me a lot of opportunities to play up and down the lineup. Any chance I get to play I try to make the most of it... I know I'm a complete player... So I can play anywhere in the lineup... I'm a player who works hard, who skates, who tries to pick up pucks for them. I try to seize opportunities. It's something I did... Something that helped me get into the NHL for sure... It was just a matter of bringing everything together at once. That didn't happen until I got to Montreal...”

“The fact I can bring so much versatility to a team really increases my value... I played center in Junior and in the American Hockey League. I came up in the NHL and played left and right wing. So I'm pretty comfortable everywhere on the ice... All those things definitely helped my game and make me feel comfortable no matter what situation I'm in.The biggest thing for me is knowing and believing that I'm not just a fourth line player anymore. I always felt I needed to prove as a fourth line guy. I had to go out there and hit and penalty-kill. That was going to be my role. But I can bring more than that. I've been an offensive guy. I'm able to play really good stout defense. I can kill penalties. Being able to do a little bit of everything is really what's gotten me here... I'm grateful for every opportunity I've gotten here in Montreal”

“I told myself: I'm not getting drafted... I didn't even followed the draft. When I woke up the next morning, I checked my phone and it was blowing up. Texts. Missed calls. I didn't have any of those numbers in my contacts. I had no idea what was going on... The feeling you get when you learn you're drafted especially if you didn't think it was going to happen is the best feeling of your life. At the time, it represented 14 years of work. Like since I started playing when I was four. It's quite the feeling to realize that you've just done something no one thought you'd be able to do. Don't let yourself get defined by where you got picked in the draft... It's just a number and it doesn't mean anything because once you're with a team, you'll have the opportunity. Your draft ranking won't affect your chances of making the NHL... What counts is what you do in the AHL and in training camp. To show management that you deserve ice time and you deserve what they're investing in you to give you more. I played with Buffalo's farm team and we had first-round guys and seventh-round guys and no one had more opportunities than me because they were drafted higher. I worked hard and the coaches and management gave me a chance. It was more about checking out any injuries, the general condition your body was in. I don't remember speaking to any people in management or anything like that. Some people in Buffalo were saying: why would the Sabres waste a draft pick on a guy who weighs 133 pounds. After discussing it with my coach, I started to bulk up. I was never a gym guy... Whereas a lot of the other guys would go all the time. In Midget, it gave them an advantage. But I kind of got by on my natural skill... As soon as I started putting time into the off-ice training, my game went up a notch... It's fun to think back to the people who didn't believe in me and tell myself that I proved them wrong ... People don't know you... All they're doing is making assumptions. I remember being told that they had a lot of good, young and small players. I told myself that they were a team who would give me a legitimate chance. Who didn't draft me just for the sake of it. I was going to be a prospect and they were known to let their players walk to free agency in order to give their young prospects a chance. I think I'll be labelled as that for as long as I play hockey... When you're 5-foot-9 and 160 pounds, everyone looks at you like you shouldn't be there and you don't belong. They don't understand it and I'm ok with that. In my mind, I think I'm 6-foot and 200 pounds. I don't let the scale tell me how big I am or how I should play...”

“I can't even tell you how close I was to taking a deal over in Russia in the past. You start making calls, I knew a couple of players on the Russian team. You start making decisions... Like is my family going to come, are they going to visit? Sometimes you can reflect and wonder how your life could be different. You could be shopping in Russia and not even knowing what you're getting at the grocery store. Obviously coming to Montreal has been the best thing that could ever happen to me...We're all really happy about what's happened here in Montreal. There's nowhere else I'd rather play in the League. Incredibly happy... My daughter was five, my son was four. They started going to preschool in Candiac. All my daughter's friends are in her class now in kindergarten. We're starting to get pretty rooted here in Montreal... To be able to have that contract. That security. The stability in life is an amazing feeling...”

“I grew up with the Habs-Bruins rivalry. My dad was a Bruins fan. My older brother was a Leafs fan. I watched a lot of Saturday night Hockey Night in Canada games with my dad. He showed me the game. I was just in love with it... Mesmerized by it... That's all I thought about. That's all I dreamed about doing or playing.Coming to Montreal, I knew how big this rivalry was... Playing the Bruins, it's a special game. You've got to relish these opportunities. When you play a team like that, it kind of feels like a playoff game.”

“I tried to make that improvement again. I wanted to be someone who's not just good every couple of games. I wanted to be good every game, every shift... Making sure that I'm contributing as much as I can... As long as you've that attitude of not being satisfied with what you did last year (2017/2018) and trying to reset and keep pushing. I didn't think there's any reason why I couldn't get better. If everything is going well right it's just because I worked really hard. But it's also because of my teammates. I play with very good players who help me a lot. Good things come with work...”

“We talked about it all camp. That's the way we wanted to play... We wanted to play with pace. We wanted to move pucks up quick. We wanted to make sure that we can play that fast game with our group, with the talent we've, with the skating ability. It's worked pretty well for us. There are lots of games where we played amazing hockey for 50 minutes, 45 minutes And the 10 minutes, 15 minutes that we're not playing our best hockey really hurt us a lot. We should all know our roles, know our jobs. We should all know what we have to do and when. Sometimes it's blocking that shot, getting that extra puck out, getting the big clear. These are all things that might not add up to much. But at the end of the game they can make a huge difference... We've to be better at starting games. If you weren't doing your job, someone else was. This was all about winning. It's all about doing whatever we could as a team. Didn't matter who you're. How many years you played. We wanted to put out the lineup that gave us the best chance of winning every night. That's the reason why we gave ourselves a chance all the way to the second last game there. Everybody was pulling. Everybody was doing what they could and it worked for usWe've the best fans in the world. Even a storm couldn't keep them home. It's incredible to play here and we're lucky every day.”

“Sometimes, it's hard to see sick children at the hospital. It makes you appreciate the fact that your family is healthy when you come home. To know that a few minutes of your time can change their day makes perfect sense. It's easy to focus on the negative. But when you realize that your family is healthy that's when everything falls into place. I come here to help these patients and then I'll go home and give my kids a big hug and tell myself how lucky I am. I can't imagine as a parent watching your child this way. For me, these kids are heroes.

“I started dating my wife Sarah at the end of my last season in Junior. We spoke a few times and I went to meet her at Bop in Old Hull. There was a connection. We broke up that first year because the long distance relationship wasn't really working well for us. I was a seven-hour drive away in Portland. We tried to see each other from time to time and meet up half-way on days off. But it was hard. We were separated for a short time before we finally got back together. Because we knew we were made for each other. Then she changed programs at the University of Ottawa. Which allowed her to come and live with me for a bit in Portland. That's when I knew everything was going to work out with us. She was 21. She followed me across the country. I was called up by Calgary. So she was left on her own in a place she didn't know and forced to make new friends. She definitely made a lot of sacrifices. So we could be together and we were still far away from her family. We remember that day really well. We couldn't have been happier. I packed my suitcase and I left the same day. Sarah had to handle the move with two young kids. She had to sell everything we owned. Handle all of the arrangements for the sale of the house too. She also had to make the drive to Ottawa. They're all things that one person probably couldn't imagine doing on their own. But she did it so well.

Jul 6, 2016
“Personally, I don't think I've changed... I was always a pretty good goal scorer... Even coming into the American League. My first year I had 15 and I had a couple of injuries where I had some inconsistencies that year. The next year I had 27. I've always been able to score. When I got moved out west, I always thought that I had to be a grinder and a fourth line guy to make it to the NHL. I created a lot of chances when I was in Calgary. I just wasn't getting the chances and the right bounces when I was playing in Calgary. I think so even for guys in the American League. It's not easy stealing somebody's spot and coming into the NHL. Young guys are too impatient. They get frustrated. We all think we should be in the NHL.,. Coming out of Junior, we all think we're good enough, but the reality is there are a lot of good hockey players around the world. You've just got to keep fighting and keep digging and eventually I think you'll earn a spot. You've just got to stay patient and keep the right mindset and focus, Over the last few years, I knew that I was capable of scoring goals... When I got here, I knew that I could bring something good to the team. I kept on working hard and now I'm capitalizing on the good bounces I get. Everybody knows that when you start scoring confidence come. You start believing in yourself more.... That's always been my forte. I've been priding myself on making sure I'm an easy guy to play with. Just trying to feed off my linemates and do whatever I can to support them. Be a good guy to play with and be someone guys want to play with. My speed is definitely what I think got me to the NHL. Playing for Bob Hartley in Calgary, he always used me in all situations, too. And coming to Montreal and given me a lot of opportunities to play up and down the lineup. Any chance I get to play I try to make the most of it... I know I'm a complete player... So I can play anywhere in the lineup... I'm a player who works hard, who skates, who tries to pick up pucks for them. I try to seize opportunities. It's something I did... Something that helped me get into the NHL for sure... It was just a matter of bringing everything together at once. That didn't happen until I got to Montreal...”

“The fact I can bring so much versatility to a team really increases my value... I played center in Junior and in the American Hockey League. I came up in the NHL and played left and right wing. So I'm pretty comfortable everywhere on the ice... All those things definitely helped my game and make me feel comfortable no matter what situation I'm in.The biggest thing for me is knowing and believing that I'm not just a fourth line player anymore. I always felt I needed to prove as a fourth line guy. I had to go out there and hit and penalty-kill. That was going to be my role. But I can bring more than that. I've been an offensive guy. I'm able to play really good stout defense. I can kill penalties. Being able to do a little bit of everything is really what's gotten me here... I'm grateful for every opportunity I've gotten here in Montreal”

“I told myself: I'm not getting drafted... I didn't even followed the draft. When I woke up the next morning, I checked my phone and it was blowing up. Texts. Missed calls. I didn't have any of those numbers in my contacts. I had no idea what was going on... The feeling you get when you learn you're drafted especially if you didn't think it was going to happen is the best feeling of your life. At the time, it represented 14 years of work. Like since I started playing when I was four. It's quite the feeling to realize that you've just done something no one thought you'd be able to do. Don't let yourself get defined by where you got picked in the draft... It's just a number and it doesn't mean anything because once you're with a team, you'll have the opportunity. Your draft ranking won't affect your chances of making the NHL... What counts is what you do in the AHL and in training camp. To show management that you deserve ice time and you deserve what they're investing in you to give you more. I played with Buffalo's farm team and we had first-round guys and seventh-round guys and no one had more opportunities than me because they were drafted higher. I worked hard and the coaches and management gave me a chance. It was more about checking out any injuries, the general condition your body was in. I don't remember speaking to any people in management or anything like that. Some people in Buffalo were saying: why would the Sabres waste a draft pick on a guy who weighs 133 pounds. After discussing it with my coach, I started to bulk up. I was never a gym guy... Whereas a lot of the other guys would go all the time. In Midget, it gave them an advantage. But I kind of got by on my natural skill... As soon as I started putting time into the off-ice training, my game went up a notch... It's fun to think back to the people who didn't believe in me and tell myself that I proved them wrong ... People don't know you... All they're doing is making assumptions. I remember being told that they had a lot of good, young and small players. I told myself that they were a team who would give me a legitimate chance. Who didn't draft me just for the sake of it. I was going to be a prospect and they were known to let their players walk to free agency in order to give their young prospects a chance. I think I'll be labelled as that for as long as I play hockey... When you're 5-foot-9 and 160 pounds, everyone looks at you like you shouldn't be there and you don't belong. They don't understand it and I'm ok with that. In my mind, I think I'm 6-foot and 200 pounds. I don't let the scale tell me how big I am or how I should play...”

“I can't even tell you how close I was to taking a deal over in Russia in the past. You start making calls, I knew a couple of players on the Russian team. You start making decisions... Like is my family going to come, are they going to visit? Sometimes you can reflect and wonder how your life could be different. You could be shopping in Russia and not even knowing what you're getting at the grocery store. Obviously coming to Montreal has been the best thing that could ever happen to me...We're all really happy about what's happened here in Montreal. There's nowhere else I'd rather play in the League. Incredibly happy... My daughter was five, my son was four. They started going to preschool in Candiac. All my daughter's friends are in her class now in kindergarten. We're starting to get pretty rooted here in Montreal... To be able to have that contract. That security. The stability in life is an amazing feeling...”

“I grew up with the Habs-Bruins rivalry. My dad was a Bruins fan. My older brother was a Leafs fan. I watched a lot of Saturday night Hockey Night in Canada games with my dad. He showed me the game. I was just in love with it... Mesmerized by it... That's all I thought about. That's all I dreamed about doing or playing.Coming to Montreal, I knew how big this rivalry was... Playing the Bruins, it's a special game. You've got to relish these opportunities. When you play a team like that, it kind of feels like a playoff game.”

“I tried to make that improvement again. I wanted to be someone who's not just good every couple of games. I wanted to be good every game, every shift... Making sure that I'm contributing as much as I can... As long as you've that attitude of not being satisfied with what you did last year (2017/2018) and trying to reset and keep pushing. I didn't think there's any reason why I couldn't get better. If everything is going well right it's just because I worked really hard. But it's also because of my teammates. I play with very good players who help me a lot. Good things come with work...”

“We talked about it all camp. That's the way we wanted to play... We wanted to play with pace. We wanted to move pucks up quick. We wanted to make sure that we can play that fast game with our group, with the talent we've, with the skating ability. It's worked pretty well for us. There are lots of games where we played amazing hockey for 50 minutes, 45 minutes And the 10 minutes, 15 minutes that we're not playing our best hockey really hurt us a lot. We should all know our roles, know our jobs. We should all know what we have to do and when. Sometimes it's blocking that shot, getting that extra puck out, getting the big clear. These are all things that might not add up to much. But at the end of the game they can make a huge difference... We've to be better at starting games. If you weren't doing your job, someone else was. This was all about winning. It's all about doing whatever we could as a team. Didn't matter who you're. How many years you played. We wanted to put out the lineup that gave us the best chance of winning every night. That's the reason why we gave ourselves a chance all the way to the second last game there. Everybody was pulling. Everybody was doing what they could and it worked for usWe've the best fans in the world. Even a storm couldn't keep them home. It's incredible to play here and we're lucky every day.”

“Sometimes, it's hard to see sick children at the hospital. It makes you appreciate the fact that your family is healthy when you come home. To know that a few minutes of your time can change their day makes perfect sense. It's easy to focus on the negative. But when you realize that your family is healthy that's when everything falls into place. I come here to help these patients and then I'll go home and give my kids a big hug and tell myself how lucky I am. I can't imagine as a parent watching your child this way. For me, these kids are heroes.

“I started dating my wife Sarah at the end of my last season in Junior. We spoke a few times and I went to meet her at Bop in Old Hull. There was a connection. We broke up that first year because the long distance relationship wasn't really working well for us. I was a seven-hour drive away in Portland. We tried to see each other from time to time and meet up half-way on days off. But it was hard. We were separated for a short time before we finally got back together. Because we knew we were made for each other. Then she changed programs at the University of Ottawa. Which allowed her to come and live with me for a bit in Portland. That's when I knew everything was going to work out with us. She was 21. She followed me across the country. I was called up by Calgary. So she was left on her own in a place she didn't know and forced to make new friends. She definitely made a lot of sacrifices. So we could be together and we were still far away from her family. We remember that day really well. We couldn't have been happier. I packed my suitcase and I left the same day. Sarah had to handle the move with two young kids. She had to sell everything we owned. Handle all of the arrangements for the sale of the house too. She also had to make the drive to Ottawa. They're all things that one person probably couldn't imagine doing on their own. But she did it so well.

How do you keep all these quotes ? You have a special software. or you are just bat crazy ?

Reactions: 26Mats

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
None of the experts on this board expected this much production from Paul Byron. He certainly won't be exposed in the expansion draft but he may be included in a trade for a legitimate first line center. If so, he'd be applauded by appreciative fans in his next appearance at the Bell Centre.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I was watching RDS and I don't remember who said it, but it's true that Therrien was more proactive on changing his lines in-game and moving Byron up and down the roster to "kickstart" a line. It got me wondering if PHI would ever be interested in trying to get the guy from the Habs. Still, I think he's 29 and he's not an elite player, more of a swiss knife guy.

Reactions: jaffy27

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I was watching RDS and I don't remember who said it, but it's true that Therrien was more proactive on changing his lines in-game and moving Byron up and down the roster to "kickstart" a line. It got me wondering if PHI would ever be interested in trying to get the guy from the Habs. Still, I think he's 29 and he's not an elite player, more of a swiss knife guy.

Imo, he'd score 30-40 playing with McDavid and Draisaitl in Edmonton. He's a definite upgrade over Kassian.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Imo, he'd score 30-40 playing with McDavid and Draisaitl in Edmonton. He's a definite upgrade over Kassian.
I don't know how much he'd score but he's got GREAT speed which McDavid would love!

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
I, for one, love Byron & wouldn't move him. I think he's essential to this lineup in all the little things he does. It has a ton of values that aren't measurable (heck, he's productive anyway, not like he's a 10 pts player). He also seems like a very good leader.
The only one who can play on every line with different teammates...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I, for one, love Byron & wouldn't move him. I think he's essential to this lineup in all the little things he does. It has a ton of values that aren't measurable (heck, he's productive anyway, not like he's a 10 pts player). He also seems like a very good leader.

He made a nice play on Weal's goal.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Yeah. I was just saying how Therrien being assistant in Philly might have had good words about him to try and lure him, for how helpful he is to a team. But yeah, as a Habs fan, I do not want them to part ways with Byron.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008

Solid cap hit for his production , heart and soul player that's really not afraid to show his emotions.
It's too bad he's been getting injured the last few years , hopefully he can stay healthy. I wouldn't trade him unless it was part of a package that addressed an area of need.

Last edited:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
good riddance, take your Amish beard with you.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
good riddance, take your Amish beard with you.
WTF.......guys been a trooper for the Habs against all odds, scored many many goals for us and plays big at 158lbs.......You really don’t care about the players do you, the second he shows a sign of slowing is like he never existed.

Guys been a model citizen and player for this team, a “maybe it’s time to trade him” would’ve been in much better taste.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
WTF.......guys been a trooper for the Habs against all odds, scored many many goals for us and plays big at 158lbs.......You really don’t care about the players do you, the second he shows a sign of slowing is like he never existed.

Guys been a model citizen and player for this team, a “maybe it’s time to trade him” would’ve been in much better taste.
I almost cried.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ

good post

Habs

Feb 28, 2002

Oh cute, you don't give the other guys on this team all this love and leniency, just your golden boys. Gotcha.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Oh cute, you don't give the other guys on this team all this love and leniency, just your golden boys. Gotcha.
I know you tying to change the subject.....

not gonna work.......you put down Byron and ridicule him because he has an “Amish” beard, but all this guys does is work his butt off for the Habs and has been an honest player throughout.....now suddenly it’s about my “Golden Boys”......:laugh:

As for being lenient, I’ve posted already that Byron should be called out for his recent play in the same manner as KK and Suzuki......but you brought it to a whole new level with the personal appearance attack.....not cool at all

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
I know you tying to change the subject.....

not gonna work.......you put down Byron and ridicule him because he has an “Amish” beard, but all this guys does is work his butt off for the Habs and has been an honest player throughout.....now suddenly it’s about my “Golden Boys”......:laugh:

As for being lenient, I’ve posted already that Byron should be called out for his recent play in the same manner as KK and Suzuki......but you brought it to a whole new level with the personal appearance attack.....not cool at all

lol, triggered much by me insulting your hero's beard? Ok bud, walk it off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad