Player Discussion Paul Byron

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
None of the experts on this board expected this much production from Paul Byron. He certainly won't be exposed in the expansion draft but he may be included in a trade for a legitimate first line center. If so, he'd be applauded by appreciative fans in his next appearance at the Bell Centre.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
None of the experts on this board expected this much production from Paul Byron. He certainly won't be exposed in the expansion draft but he may be included in a trade for a legitimate first line center. If so, he'd be applauded by appreciative fans in his next appearance at the Bell Centre.

I think Byron has more value to us than he does in a trade.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I think Byron has more value to us than he does in a trade.

For what he brings at the price that he brings it (1.167 M for two more years), he sure does. Players like Benn (1.1M for two more years), Lehkonen (925K - 1.18M with bonuses for two more years), Sergachev (925K - 1.775M with bonuses for three years) and Montoya (950K for two more years) are veterans and talented youngsters that, beyond their performances on the ice, will, thanks to their Cap hits, allow Bergevin to ice better players while fitting his total payroll under the Cap ceiling.

They will contribute to fitting in contracts for Radulov, Price and, if we keep them, Pacioretty and Galchenyuk. Otherwise, the players we get by trying these two.

Byron's value goes beyond the healthy goals total this season. He is a solid two way player that is excellent on the PK and that can change a game in one shift because of his speed.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
For what he brings at the price that he brings it (1.167 M for two more years), he sure does. Players like Benn (1.1M for two more years), Lehkonen (925K - 1.18M with bonuses for two more years), Sergachev (925K - 1.775M with bonuses for three years) and Montoya (950K for two more years) are veterans and talented youngsters that, beyond their performances on the ice, will, thanks to their Cap hits, allow Bergevin to ice better players while fitting his total payroll under the Cap ceiling.

They will contribute to fitting in contracts for Radulov, Price and, if we keep them, Pacioretty and Galchenyuk. Otherwise, the players we get by trying these two.

Byron's value goes beyond the healthy goals total this season. He is a solid two way player that is excellent on the PK and that can change a game in one shift because of his speed.

Not only that, but Byron still isn't all that well known as a great- even good player. Not to mention that some teams wouldn't even want him because of his size. But really, there are very few players out there who can skate like him, or frankly are similar to him at all. It's tough to find a guy that fast(/small) who can hit like a truck.

In regards to Benn, Lekhonen & Sergachev I 100% agree, but Montoya is easily replaced at the same cap hit, if not less. For example, Charlie Lindgren.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The Habs pro scout is to be applauded for signing Byron, truly the most underrated NHLer this off season. So glad our Habs front office is once again "Elite" in the NHL, as fanatics like myself are truly aware, this team is built like our dynasty teams of the past.(Character & Desire are truly underestimated by so many young hockey fans, IMHO.)

Go Habs Go!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The Habs pro scout is to be applauded for signing Byron, truly the most underrated NHLer this off season. So glad our Habs front office is once again "Elite" in the NHL, as fanatics like myself are truly aware, this team is built like our dynasty teams of the past.(Character & Desire are truly underestimated by so many young hockey fans, IMHO.)

Go Habs Go!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

I think we all admire your perpetual positivity, but seriously do you not think some goal scoring to complement all that character would be helpful?

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
He really important for us. Really good third line player. We are lucky to have him.

Thank you Calgary.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I think he can hit 20 again. His production is directly tied to his clean chances. So long as he can still blow past people, he will score some goals. I remember the rest of the roster saying he was the most underrated skill-wise on the team. I believe it.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Honestly I expect him to start on the "fourth line". Which isn't really a bad thing. I think his production will dip this year no matter what's but hoping for another strong season.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Can't believe Calgary got rid of this guy for nothing!

Most of the NHL passed on him when he was on waivers.

He was small and couldn't score to save his life on the breakaways he got. The league was still going towards the LA/Bruins model of physical guys.

We got very lucky he figured out breakaways. :laugh:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'm not expecting 20 goals again. Somewhere between 12-15, though, and around 30-35 points would be my guess for him. I'd think he has a firm spot on the third line.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
I'm not expecting 20 goals again. Somewhere between 12-15, though, and around 30-35 points would be my guess for him. I'd think he has a firm spot on the third line.

I agree. And with those 12-15 goals we can expect a player who will create turnovers and always give it his all. His contract is a bargain for this team and we can play him on any of our four lines (thought hopefully just as damage control on the first line)

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I think we all admire your perpetual positivity, but seriously do you not think some goal scoring to complement all that character would be helpful?

Byron was second only to Pacioretty last season. He scored more goals than Galchenyuk or Radulov, who were paid considerably moreand were considered to be elite. I would not object to trading him if the deal brought in a valuable asset who would remain a core player longer than one season, but I wouldn't regard Byron as someone who should be disposed of like a paper cup. His speed would be missed.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Honestly I expect him to start on the "fourth line". Which isn't really a bad thing. I think his production will dip this year no matter what's but hoping for another strong season.

Which is where he should be. Play on the 3rd or 4th line and then on the PK.

I doubt he breaks 20 again, but he'll still be an effective player for the Habs, I am sure.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Byron was second only to Pacioretty last season. He scored more goals than Galchenyuk or Radulov, who were paid considerably moreand were considered to be elite. I would not object to trading him if the deal brought in a valuable asset who would remain a core player longer than one season, but I wouldn't regard Byron as someone who should be disposed of like a paper cup. His speed would be missed.
Won't happen next year.
He will be behind Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher and Drouin.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Pacioretty, Drouin, Lehkonen, Gallagher, Shaw (I don't particularly like him, but Bergevin won't want his prize possession to be downplayed, and he played better with Julien than with Therrien) are ahead of him as wingers, or at least should be, and depending if Hemsky comes back healthy and in shape, he could also be. Add Hudon/McCarron/DLR to the mix of players that could really push for a spot on the team, and damn Byron will have to fit somewhere. Guy scored 22 goals, so WILL absolutely have his chances, especially because of his speed and intensity, but damn, we have an awful lot of winger depth... could also add Chucky to the mix if Julien doesn't want him as a center...

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Won't happen next year.
He will be behind Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher and Drouin.

He was an offensive player in junior and was hurt most of his time in Calgary,only got healthy in MTL,should still be able to get between 15-20 playing a reduced role,so all good!

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

He may just end up as our 1st line center as the season wears on.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->