Player Discussion: Patrik Laine - Part 20'ish or so

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I haven't seen the exit interviews yet but I've heard Maurice trotted out his excuses. Probably a few more too. The severity of Laine's injury could be anything from turns-player-to-crap to team-sanctioned-excuse.
If you watch a Laine interview, the last thing he'll do is trot out a "team-sanctioned-excuse". He's completely unscripted and says whatever is on his mind. He didn't make it sound like the back issue was that severe, but that it has hampered him at times this past season, and prior to that.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Guess you missed the part of him playing the entire season with back problems. Are you suggesting Laine should train through them instead of taking time off to heal?
There are lots of ways to train with a back injury. He didn't say he was taking time off to rest his back, he said he was going to spend time golfing and hanging out with his friends in Finland. Do you think golf is advisable for a player that is trying to rest his way through a chronic back injury?

Reactions: Robinson2187

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ok, I admit that using the word idiotic was too harsh from me in these circumstances. It just pisses me of when in professional sports players are often shortsightedly allowed to play with even quite serious and even career threatening injuries.

Of course in Laine’s situation it won’t most probably lead into anything like that. And as you said, we don’t really know too well about the quality of his injury anyway.
So, would you say that Laine's plan to do quite a bit of golfing in the off-season is a good idea, considering his back injury?

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
So, would you say that Laine's plan to do quite a bit of golfing in the off-season is a good idea, considering his back injury?
I was thinking in fact about the same as you. But we dont know yet how much he is really going to golf after all, even though he mentioned that as one of his summer interests. It might not even be harmful in smaller amounts, but I’m not the right person to evaluate can he play it at all during summer, or how much he can play it, if it is ok after all. And I’m pretty sure that you aren’t either in a position to make a clear and certain analysis on if he can play golf at all this summer. But sure, it did still make me also wonder a bit.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I was thinking in fact about the same as you. But we dont know yet how much he is really going to golf after all, even though he mentioned that as one of his summer interests. It might not even be harmful in smaller amounts, but I’m not the right person to evaluate can he play it at all during summer, or how much he can play it, if it is ok after all. And I’m pretty sure that you aren’t either in a position to make a clear and certain analysis on if he can play golf at all this summer. But sure, it did still make me also wonder a bit.
My point is that if his back injury isn't too bad to golf, I'm pretty sure he can find some other ways to work out that won't be a problem.

Reactions: Ippenator

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think Laine needs to rest and find ways to help his back get better. If he needs surgery for it, as much as it sucks to not have him in the line-up, then I think he should do it.

Reactions: Ippenator

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think Laine needs to rest and find ways to help his back get better. If he needs surgery for it, as much as it sucks to not have him in the line-up, then I think he should do it.
I really hope it's not as serious that it requires surgery. Athletes getting back surgery is never a good sign

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I really hope it's not as serious that it requires surgery. Athletes getting back surgery is never a good sign
I can't think of any NHL players getting back surgery and not retiring shortly after. Horton. Clitsome. If they're getting back surgery, it's usually really serious.

Let's hope it's a muscle imbalance: queue the conspiracy theories about spending too much time sitting and playing video games. A lot of back problems are really hip/glute related.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I can't think of any NHL players getting back surgery and not retiring shortly after. Horton. Clitsome. If they're getting back surgery, it's usually really serious.

Let's hope it's a muscle imbalance: queue the conspiracy theories about spending too much time sitting and playing video games. A lot of back problems are really hip/glute related.
could be hip/glutes, could be weak core as well.... if it's an injury that keeps coming back it could be a muscular imbalance as you suggest. who knows

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Well, he hasn't been missing games for the back thing, so I guess that should mean it's not really something that gets worse with playing. I hope that's a good sign and means it's nothing that can't be fixed with training / therapy.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
The back thing is not a major issue.

He is a tall guy.
Maybe need corrections on his skating?

Also he was practice on game days in 1st 2 games of the series.
By 3rd game i think is when he missed game day practice.
So groin issue might have cropped up around that time.

Laine just showed the team how good he is in the playoff. Still maturing.

He is a dandy.

Last edited:

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Laine said he's had these issues for a few seasons. So he undoubtedly HAS already trained through it.

Missed that part completely, that’s very alarming if that’s the case. If it had been this season only it would do him good to heal it completely but it may not be possible then.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

Whileee, this isn't like you to be perpetuating something like this. Did someone take over your account? :laugh:

Edit - I see the point you were making now.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad