Player Discussion: Patrik Laine - Part 20'ish or so

Status
Not open for further replies.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
The reason you hear that all the time is because Laine gets **** on constantly for his 'lack of effort', when in reality it's just a young player learning how to play all facets of the game.

Can't really agree with that. Look at his play during the regular season vs. playoffs. During the season he was a slow-motion floater for the most part. Come the playoffs and he's scoring, pasting guys, protecting pucks, rushing more successfully, and other hockey stuff that he was criticized for not doing during the season. In the space of three days he went from trade bait to best player. That's not "a young player learning how to play all facets of the game." That's a player flipping he switch. No doubt about it, that was lack of effort during the regular season vs. much improved effort in the playoffs.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Laine apparently played with a back injury all year.
That was pretty surprising.

Was a bit disappointed that he said that he was going to forget about hockey, chill with friends, go golfing, etc. during the off-season. He needs to think about how to get better physically and continue to work on his skills. Still talks about himself as though he's a carefree kid. That's probably a personality thing, but he needs to take his role seriously.

Ehlers was the opposite. He was going to get back to working out in a couple of weeks and spend the off-season trying to improve his hockey.

Interesting contrast....

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

And a groin issue in the playoffs. Apparently Laine played it down but didn't he skip all skates between games?

No idea how much it affected his play, but if it did at all, would make some of the crap he got on this board seem even more ridiculous. EDIT: the back thing, earlier in the season

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Was a bit disappointed that he said that he was going to forget about hockey, chill with friends, go golfing, etc. during the off-season. He needs to think about how to get better physically and continue to work on his skills. Still talks about himself as though he's a carefree kid. That's probably a personality thing, but he needs to take his role seriously.

Ehlers was the opposite. He was going to get back to working out in a couple of weeks and spend the off-season trying to improve his hockey.

Interesting contrast....

I get what your saying but some people just need to turn the page to reset themselves. I wish they would have asked him what he planned on working on in the off-season.

Reactions: Duke749

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Trouba doesn't sound all that enthusiastic about a future with the Jets. I'm reading into the comments and body language, but I'd be surprised if he signs a long-term deal with the Jets.

Tanev seems more upbeat. Gives a strong endorsement to Maurice from Tanev.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Trouba doesn't sound all that enthusiastic about a future with the Jets. I'm reading into the comments and body language, but I'd be surprised if he signs a long-term deal with the Jets.

Tanev seems more upbeat. Gives a strong endorsement to Maurice from Tanev.
Chevy time to cash in Trouba this offseason, get a 1st rounder back and a roster ready d-man.

Last edited:
Reactions: Larabee

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

No surprise. I think it was quite telling when Trouba referred to the team in a previous interview as "they" not "we". I think this was about the time when he came back from his hold^H^H^H^H... sorry, contract impasse.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
No surprise. I think it was quite telling when Trouba referred to the team in a previous interview as "they" not "we". I think this was about the time when he came back from his hold^H^H^H^H... sorry, contract impasse.

Hopefully Chevy hits a home run with this trade. The return could be massive. A young 50-point first-pairing D at the very beginning of his prime. Chevy has a chance to address significant needs, clear cap space, get draft picks (which in turn become ELCs, which we all know are crucial in today's Salary capped NHL). Lots of options here. And I expect many teams to be interested.

Reactions: Robinson2187

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
Well i kinda understand if he wants to forget hockey for a while now. He had bad season personally and as a team too.

I am also pretty sure his going to train with Rautala again. Didn't Rautala have long term plans with Laine? Last summer was about getting strength and mass and now he can focus on something else. Hope he works on his stamina and explosiveness.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

Interesting contrast....

Well it's only April. I'm sure he didn't mean all summer. No way a kid with his drive would do anything remotely close to that. I wish we would acknowledge that the kid is driven and will always work hard.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Well i kinda understand if he wants to forget hockey for a while now. He had bad season personally and as a team too.

I am also pretty sure his going to train with Rautala again. Didn't Rautala have long term plans with Laine? Last summer was about getting strength and mass and now he can focus on something else. Hope he works on his stamina and explosiveness.

Slaunwhite will also oversee his training from a Jets perspective.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
What does that mean exactly?

Laine is following his offseason regimen or just keeping tabs on his regular offseason training back home?

I know that last year, Laine trained at home and Slaunwhite travelled to Finland to check on progress and how the training was fitting into the Jet's expectations. So I think a little of both.

Reactions: kanadalainen

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada

Interesting contrast....

I think it's perfectly reasonable if he takes from now until June or so off from hockey as long as he keeps eating decently and maybe works in a few workouts. Hopefully from June on he gets back into hockey mode. Honestly, I was one of those "bridge him" people pre-playoffs but he really seemed to turn his game up there for that series and I do think it's a confidence/icetime issue with him and not a "figured out" issue. So I'm sort of changing my stance and I'd be okay if Chevy went with the long term deal.

Reactions: GNP

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
That is exactly what I started to become afraid of during the autumn part of the season. I think it was obviously affecting his shot also. He had often a bit awkard shooting position, compared to how he used to shoot before. It was especially visible with his wrist shot and how he even was pretty much reluctant to use his wrist shot as much as before. His wrist shot was also seriously lacking both, the power and the accuracy that he used to have before.

It really explains a lot about his season, but on the other hand it is also extremely worrying that a young player like him is having already back problems. It will unfortunately mean also that he will most probably HAVE TO take at least this off season a bit easier and might not be able to train as hard as he has been doing before. Really upsetting news, although they do explain at least somehow his regression

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Well it's only April. I'm sure he didn't mean all summer. No way a kid with his drive would do anything remotely close to that. I wish we would acknowledge that the kid is driven and will always work hard.

I'm sure many would if it was true -
He doesn't always work hard -
Nice to see him show up for the PO's but that does not translate into "Driven and always works hard"

Reactions: Board Bard

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm sure many would if it was true -
He doesn't always work hard -
Nice to see him show up for the PO's but that does not translate into "Driven and always works hard"

How do you know he doesn't work hard? Let's not start this rumor after a season with back problems. He has always been known to be very driven and dedicated.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Just found the contrast with Ehlers interesting. Different personalities, but Ehlers said that in two weeks he would begin working hard to improve himself for next season.

Reactions: LowLefty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad