Player Discussion: Patrik Laine - Part 20'ish or so

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That is exactly what I started to become afraid of during the autumn part of the season. I think it was obviously affecting his shot also. He had often a bit awkard shooting position, compared to how he used to shoot before. It was especially visible with his wrist shot and how he even was pretty much reluctant to use his wrist shot as much as before. His wrist shot was also seriously lacking both, the power and the accuracy that he used to have before.

It really explains a lot about his season, but on the other hand it is also extremely so rrying that a young player like him is having already back problems. It will unfortunately mean also that he will most probably HAVE TO take at least this off season a bit easier and might not be able to train as hard as he has been doing before. Really upsetting news, although they do explain at least somehow his regression
It really depends on what his back issue is.

I developed a lower back issue in high school (playing hockey, football and basketball), but it was due to a relatively common structural issue in my lower spine. Good physiotherapy taught me how to improve posture, stretch effectively, work on core strength, and the issue resolved quite well and hasn't been much of an issue throughout adulthood.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
How do you know he doesn't work hard? Let's not start this rumor after a season with back problems. He has always been known to be very driven and dedicated.
He admitted himself that he had a garbage diet, but continue on with your narrative.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
How do you know he doesn't work hard? Let's not start this rumor after a season with back problems. He has always been known to be very driven and dedicated.

I watched him play between Dec and March -
Over that period, he didn't work hard.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
He admitted himself that he had a garbage diet, but continue on with your narrative.
He in fact said only that he cut mostly on sugar and eating candies. He DIDN’T say that he had generally a garbage diet. And if someone has here a narrative on Laine, it’s you. Not a single positive post about him - EVER. Even when he was doing very well at some points.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
He in fact said only that he cut mostly on sugar and eating candies. He DIDN’T say that he had generally a garbage diet. And if someone has here a narrative on Laine, it’s you. Not a single positive post about him - EVER. Even when he was doing very well at some points.

Just thought I'd say hi to you IPP and throw you a "like" and wish you a good summer, as this forum won't be to active.

Actually I was quite impressed with Laine in the playoffs --skating hard, and quite fast I thought, and throwing some good hits as well. Hope he keeps progressing--he's turning into a beast. Keep well :)

Reactions: Ippenator

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I watched him play between Dec and March -
Over that period, he didn't work hard.

Yeah he didnt. He coasted. He didnt give 100%
He got demoralized. He was sulking there for a bit.

Well what a 20 year old with a god given talent that only Ovie can rival do after he kees being on line 2 and getting decreasing minutes start of December? I was monitoring it.

Doing what he does best. With all that pressure in the world.
He did what a normal 20 year old would do.
He sulked..

What he needed was a guidance.
And it looked like it wasnt given by the coach as he said he let him work through it on his own. The young man was 20. Yeah find his way, each kid are different.

The father stepped in and talked sense into him.

Anyways
You and me would too if our boss despite how good we were doesnt reward us.
If our boss tells me something and doesnt do it. Well the boss is bullshitting me. (Good thing im the big boss lol ).

This stuff happens in real world too.

By the way
He actually threw a shade in his interview part.

"I did something that ony a few in the history have done before."
And he is correct.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

Forgot to say -- I guess we'll have to cheer for Colorado -- I would not be surprised to see them win the Western Conference, as they have huge firepower. I don't think they have enough to beat the Washington Capitals though--I guess we'll see ??

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Laine apparently played with a back injury all year.
upload_2019-4-22_13-8-19.jpeg

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Or maybe he simply couldn’t? Anyway absolutely idiotic from the Jets to let him play with a back problem. Even if it was just a relatively mild one.

How much to we know about this "back problem" - shouldn't we know that before we call the org "idiotic".
He may have a mild back issue that will linger with him forever - nothing that requires him missing any games.

I was going to leave the "back issues" out of the discussion until they are confirmed and more is known.

Reactions: Ippenator and GNP

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I haven't seen the exit interviews yet but I've heard Maurice trotted out his excuses. Probably a few more too. The severity of Laine's injury could be anything from turns-player-to-crap to team-sanctioned-excuse.

Reactions: KB1971 and LowLefty

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
How much to we know about this "back problem" - shouldn't we know that before we call the org "idiotic".
He may have a mild back issue that will linger with him forever - nothing that requires him missing any games.

I was going to leave the "back issues" out of the discussion until they are confirmed and more is known.[/QUOTE}

It could be that Laine has some minor lingering back issues, but I'm sure a lot of NHL players do.

His back looked OK to me in the playoffs, as he was sure throwing his weight around with some big hits.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
:)

Just thought I'd say hi to you IPP and throw you a "like" and wish you a good summer, as this forum won't be to active.

Actually I was quite impressed with Laine in the playoffs --skating hard, and quite fast I thought, and throwing some good hits as well. Hope he keeps progressing--he's turning into a beast. Keep well :)
Thanks dude! Always nice to read your posts. You have a positive tone in general and even if we sometimes disagree with some things, we get along nicely. Of course it helps that we rarely disagree after all. :)

I kind of agree with you that Laine played quite well in the playoffs, although his trajectory was a bit downwards towards the last games. Could be also that the injuries were causing problems - hard to say. But anyway no one can blame him for not having good effort in the playoffs.

Yeah, I will definitely cheer for Colorado now in the playoffs, although it feels still very secondary after the Jets being out. But it is definitely nice to watch MacKinnon and Rantanen both play still in hopefully many games this season. They both are so skilled and strong. Just absolute monsters!

I really hope Laine will get physically at least close to Rantanen one day. He is two years younger than Rantanen and training with the same trainer that Rantanen trains with, so I have faith in it happening still. Rantanen wasn’t two seasons ago even close to what he is now physically.

But anyway take care buddy, and all the other Jets fans too, and have a nice summer! :)

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo

I was going to leave the "back issues" out of the discussion until they are confirmed and more is known.
Ok, I admit that using the word idiotic was too harsh from me in these circumstances. It just pisses me of when in professional sports players are often shortsightedly allowed to play with even quite serious and even career threatening injuries.

Of course in Laine’s situation it won’t most probably lead into anything like that. And as you said, we don’t really know too well about the quality of his injury anyway.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Just found the contrast with Ehlers interesting. Different personalities, but Ehlers said that in two weeks he would begin working hard to improve himself for next season.

Guess you missed the part of him playing the entire season with back problems. Are you suggesting Laine should train through them instead of taking time off to heal?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Guess you missed the part of him playing the entire season with back problems. Are you suggesting Laine should train through them instead of taking time off to heal?

Laine said he's had these issues for a few seasons. So he undoubtedly HAS already trained through it.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
:)
Thanks dude! Always nice to read your posts. You have a positive tone in general and even if we sometimes disagree with some things, we get along nicely. Of course it helps that we rarely disagree after all. :)

I kind of agree with you that Laine played quite well in the playoffs, although his trajectory was a bit downwards towards the last games. Could be also that the injuries were causing problems - hard to say. But anyway no one can blame him for not having good effort in the playoffs.

Yeah, I will definitely cheer for Colorado now in the playoffs, although it feels still very secondary after the Jets being out. But it is definitely nice to watch MacKinnon and Rantanen both play still in hopefully many games this season. They both are so skilled and strong. Just absolute monsters!

I really hope Laine will get physically at least close to Rantanen one day. He is two years younger than Rantanen and training with the same trainer that Rantanen trains with, so I have faith in it happening still. Rantanen wasn’t two seasons ago even close to what he is now physically.

But anyway take care buddy, and all the other Jets fans too, and have a nice summer! :)

Yes, I think your right here IPP --sometimes we'll disagree on players, coaches or strategies used, but it can be done in a respectful and friendly manner. I know there's some players and maybe the coach you don't like, whereas I do, or a little undecided ?

You don't like Ehlers or think he's not that good--whereas, I think he's fast, shifty, great stick handler and has a great shot. He just has to learn what to do when in the offensive zone. If he can put it all together, we have a real good player in Ehlers. He may not, and just turn out to be average, so I guess time will tell. I think he'll be an upper level player in the NHL -- but I may have to admit I'm wrong. (hope not)

I also think your "not" in favor of Coach Maurice -- whereas, I'm undecided on that ? and reserve judgement. Since he's taken over as Jet's coach, he's done not to badly with the young crew. I say give it a little time before final judgement is made. That's my opinion on Maurice -- but who knows ? -there may be a better coach for this team, but right now, he is all we have, and likely for 1-2 years.

Whether we agree or disagree, matters not. What matters is that we're cordial to each other, and respect each other's opinion, like in the good spirit of this Hockey Forum - you gotta make it fun and interesting. :)

We'll never agree on everything, but there's a lot we do agree on. Your posts are great, well written and your a passionate Jet's fan--that's alright by me.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Laine said he's had these issues for a few seasons. So he undoubtedly HAS already trained through it.
Sounds in fact quite much like the problems that Barkov was having for a couple of years at some point. Barkov changed his training to a bit less hard for his back and I recall that it helped him. Hopefully this would be the case with Laine too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad