Player Discussion: Patrik Laine - Part 20'ish or so

Status
Not open for further replies.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Laine has never been an A student........never. He's excelled within a very limited scope with very limited players within very situational basis. Basically to-date he's a very limited player with massive holes in his game that need significant improvement......

Stats says opposite, he was doing best on his team during 2,5 year

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
You have been out of the school circuit for a while I take it because that is exactly what a good many parents are doing these days. Its very different from when I was in school and the parents would side with the teacher and force their kids to improve.

Also I think your analogy is flawed it would be more along the lines of a kid is a B plus average student the first two years but one subject is a D and gets denied advanced placement classes while a C plus level student who maybe is a C- in that same class gets in (Connor).

Laine has never been a B student......never (PS: very aware of the school division). He's always been a player who excelled in very limited situations with very specific players and has still been given lots of chances on the top line but hasn't been able to maintain his spot. Laine complaining he wants more ice time isnt unique, many players want more time. He'll get more chances in the future (like others), he's done nothing to claim he deserves it permanently. Play hockey, stop whining, and take the spot and show the world you deserve it permanently then all debate goes away.......the problem is he hasn't done that yet.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Laine has never been a B student......never (PS: very aware of the school division). He's always been a player who excelled in very limited situations with very specific players and has still been given lots of chances on the top line but hasn't been able to maintain his spot. Laine complaining he wants more ice time isnt unique, many players want more time. He'll get more chances in the future (like others), he's done nothing to claim he deserves it permanently. Play hockey, stop whining, and take the spot and show the world you deserve it permanently then all debate goes away.......the problem is he hasn't done that yet.

How has he not done that? He has scored more then connor while he is on the 2nd line and is just as good defensively as connor as well

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Honestly.. Who are u to pretend? Seriously i cant take a 4th line plug like Bissonettes opinion seriously how can i take a never was 4th line plugs opinion seriously?

Even a guy possibly with a future of trauma induced CTE - no laughing matter - was bang on in his assessment of the situation...

A valued plug can have a moment of clarity

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I would strongly disagree but we are arguing semantics now as his elite aspects greatly propel him to a high average overall. Here are all of the top 6 winger GAR results (16/17-17/18):

upload_2019-9-17_18-46-9.png

Think of GAR like a grade that has a number of different classes. Laine scored very well in ES GAR both of those years. ES GAR takes all aspects of ES play into it. Sure it is largely driven by his goals but his goals give him a similar or higher grade in that area then a more complete player Wheeler.

So we will have to disagree on this.

Sure he may be a F defensively and C at driving play but he is an A plus at scoring goals and an B plus and putting up points which pulls his average up to a very high grade.

I get that you like Maurice place more weight on certain aspects such as defense but most models put less weight on those quantities.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
How has he not done that? He has scored more then connor while he is on the 2nd line and is just as good defensively as connor as well

Done what? Clearly demonstrated he deserves top line permanently? Really? Have you watched him play and looked at his production? Lack of consistency has been a problem I think most can agree on. As I stated he will get more chances in the future, but hasn’t locked down that role to date on a permanent basis

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Lets go Jets

Central probably laughing at you guys now!!!

Got to stick together!!!

Season about to start.
We need everybody on board.

Make it happen Chevy! Sign Laine sign Connor...

Jets are marked to barely make the playoff.

Prove them wrong!

Couchcaptain

Nov 11, 2016
Lost in the wilderness
Shit has really started to hit the fan today. I absolutely love the fact that these facts are finally being discussed publicly, it definitely clears the air.
There has been many articles in finnish media today about this, most surprising is this IMO: Kommentti: Patrik Laineen yllättävä avautuminen ihmetyttää – tietääkö hän itse karun totuuden?
Article is from usually very well regarded finnish media YLE, and it is kind of a response to the Laine opening earlier.

There's one direct quote from the article: "Sanotaan se nyt suoraan: Scheifele ei halua pelata Patrik Laineen kanssa samassa ketjussa. Ja hän ei ole Jetsin tähdistä ainoa, joka ajattelee näin. Karua, mutta totta. Sisäpiirilähteiden mukaan Laine ei ole järin suosittu pelaaja joukkueen pukukopissa. Syyt siihen ovat yksinkertaisia."

Translated: "Lets say it straight: Scheifele does not want to play in the same line with Laine. And he is not the only one of the Jets star players who thinks like that. Harsh, but real. Inside sources say Laine is not very popular player in the Jets lockerroom. Reasons to that are pretty simple."

I really do not know is this thrustworthy or not. It's very straightforward, kind of aggresive article.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I would strongly disagree but we are arguing semantics now as his elite aspects greatly propel him to a high average overall. Here are all of the top 6 winger GAR results (16/17-17/18):

View attachment 255303

Think of GAR like a grade that has a number of different classes. Laine scored very well in ES GAR both of those years. ES GAR takes all aspects of ES play into it. Sure it is largely driven by his goals but his goals give him a similar or higher grade in that area then a more complete player Wheeler.

So we will have to disagree on this.

Sure he may be a F defensively and C at driving play but he is an A plus at scoring goals and an B plus and putting up points which pulls his average up to a very high grade.

I get that you like Maurice place more weight on certain aspects such as defense but most models put less weight on those quantities.

As you state GAR is far from an perfect method to compare players.

No one is questioning his ability to score, when propped up in the idea situation. But that’s partly the point, why would you want to reward a seriously flawed player like a franchise player when he’s far from it. As Joe posted (I think it was him earlier today), one site predictions on salaries based on performance & comparables list Laine at 7.1 million per year over 6-7 years (can’t remember the term off top of my head).....I’m fine with that, b/c that’s reflective of a player with strong limitations. But when you’re talking 9-10-11 million per year long term then sorry but I’m expecting a whole lot more complete player then Laine has ever been. So I’m not sure where you sit, seems like we’re going in circles but if what do you think is a fair salary long term?

Defensively weak teams typically don’t go far......so I like what wins games and helps us go farther.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad