Player Discussion: Patrik Laine - Part 20'ish or so

Status
Not open for further replies.

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
It'll be a loooooong off-season in Laine threads. I have a bad feeling that everybody knows what's best for him. Even if they don't know the plan and situation from organization and Laine's training and healing side. I think there will be non-supportive people about his mothers' cooking for NHL. And everything else on top of that.

Wouldn't mind a shorter off-season, even if it's impossible right now, It stings, but I don't like when the games stop.

If Laine is back in with the man called Rautala, will it be just the same for fans? Probably. Even if Patrik takes skating lessons too (but we just don't know it, but doesn't matter since fans have voted).

On the plus side, Sip can send me a transcript what I should yell at Rautala since I live here. Given Sips good "sips" (Sips good chips also would be a great brand name), I doubt there would be no fooling around with Koivu's etc. in this place hanging around and creating everything professional.

TD;DR: No matter what he does with the experts and consulting Winnipeg professionals too. We know nothing about all things, but we do if it comes to the boards. And Sip is the only reasonable answer to put the Winnipeg and training organizations to their place, what do they think, think like their pro's? Pffft. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
I have officially given up hope on the jets after hearing that chevy is still backing maurice.

This means scheif and wheeler will never be split up and buff will never be called out for his misstakes and pomo will keep getting out coached.

Hence Patty will never get the top line minutes he needs/ deserves to become a 50 goal scorer with wheelers untouchable status.

Hope he does not sign, he would do better off on another team and maybe winnipeg also..

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Was surprised to hear Laine has been nursing a back injury from last season's playoffs and also a groin injury.

I can assume that would be the reason why he has been so slow and avoiding playing physical all of the season.

He will be the toughest contract to figure out for Chevy.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Was surprised to hear Laine has been nursing a back injury from last season's playoffs and also a groin injury.

I can assume that would be the reason why he has been so slow and avoiding playing physical all of the season.

Not nearly enough information to make anything close to an accurate assumption -

Does he have a ache that requires a little heat before each game or does he has an injury that would impact his ability to play?

The latter might impact his game - the former? Unlikely.
But I'm assuming :D

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
I have officially given up hope on the jets after hearing that chevy is still backing maurice.

This means scheif and wheeler will never be split up and buff will never be called out for his misstakes and pomo will keep getting out coached.

Hence Patty will never get the top line minutes he needs/ deserves to become a 50 goal scorer with wheelers untouchable status.

Hope he does not sign, he would do better off on another team and maybe winnipeg also..

Interesting point, in some (not in everyone) team he had already break 50 goals for sure. What do you think would be most suitable for him?

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Pop Quiz!

Which line scored at a higher rate this past season?

a) Connor-Little-Laine (239 minutes 5v5)
b) Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler (197 minutes 5v5)

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Pop Quiz!

Which line scored at a higher rate this past season?

a) Connor-Little-Laine (239 minutes 5v5)
b) Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler (197 minutes 5v5)

A.

Give Laine, Ehlers, Connor a full season on the top line (pp1 in the case of Nik) and they will outproduce Blake. If maximized you'd get twice as many goals from all 3.

Last edited:

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
There are lots of ways to train with a back injury. He didn't say he was taking time off to rest his back, he said he was going to spend time golfing and hanging out with his friends in Finland. Do you think golf is advisable for a player that is trying to rest his way through a chronic back injury?
I think golf is one of the worst sports to be playing when you have back issues. Especially skeletal or disc problems. If it's muscle related, probly not so much.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

Definitely the toughest to figure out. I have to believe that Chevy has a good handle on Laines health and aspirations. So that always gives me hope.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

Bet his agent wasn’t happy with his transparency

Reactions: DashingDane

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
I normally try to avoid these contract talks, so I'll write this essay for you. Something to think about.

I have no idea what is going to happend.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Laine in 16/17: i want to be the best player in the world

Laine in 18/19 after career low numbers: i’ve been able to do what only a handful of guys have in the history of the game, got to be proud of myself

Not taking away from his accomplishments, but i’ve sensed a different vibe creep in since last year. Less determined, more sitting on what he’s done already. That shows in his career trajectory. I mean, i expected more determined comments about next season and working on his game etc.

Getting better starts with the right mindset and im not sure if his passion for the game is where it used to be to be honest.

Whether or not that’s true, he’s only going to get better by improving his endurance and agility. As long as he’s moving like he is now, in the current NHL, he’s going to struggle to become that top line player you want out there as much as possible.

I certainly hope we’ll see a change in the right direction next year and a player who has more pep in his step.

It’s frustrating to not see any improvement in that regard over 3 seasons. Because that would solve a lot of his problems. Not looking as ”lazy” by getting to loose pucks quicker and having the endurance to give consistent 2nd efforts. Creating more chances on his own. Winning more battles. All this breeds confidence which means likely more goals.

I find it very strange that he doesn’t skate at all in the summer. Again, in my opinion, for a player with that weakness, if you really wanted to do everything to get better you’d want to hit the ice even earlier than most guys do. Instead you’re starting the season just trying to get the skating legs going.

Idk, i just haven’t seen many positive signs in regards to having that competitive fire and desire to be the best. I hate to sound negative and all but it’s only because i want to see the best version of him and prove the naysayers wrong. I know he’s capable of much more than being a player who people see as ”nothing more than the shot”.

I hope Chevy lowballs him hard in the summer. 1 year show me deal. Maybe money could serve as another motivator, and a bit of a wakeup call. Coming into the season hearing experts say 10M long-term deal is all but guaranteed, and then seeing that number go down dramatically on a short-term could be a bit of a shocker.

In any case, crucial season coming up and i think it’ll tell a lot about where he ends up as a player.

Reactions: 1OApick

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Golf is like crack, you’ll always find a way to get a round in.
I played 8 weeks after a hip replacement
Lol :laugh:
Not for me. I enjoy it but I'm no nut. I used to go quite a bit back in the day and then life got in the way.

After my back surgery, docs advised against it. I've done a few rounds since moving out here and had no issues but swinging isn't quite as comfortable as it used to be.

Good on you for flogging 8 weeks post-op! Must be that squirrel diet;)

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

Laine in 18/19 after career low numbers: i’ve been able to do what only a handful of guys have in the history of the game, got to be proud of myself

Not taking away from his accomplishments, but i’ve sensed a different vibe creep in since last year. Less determined, more sitting on what he’s done already. That shows in his career trajectory. I mean, i expected more determined comments about next season and working on his game etc.

Getting better starts with the right mindset and im not sure if his passion for the game is where it used to be to be honest.

Whether or not that’s true, he’s only going to get better by improving his endurance and agility. As long as he’s moving like he is now, in the current NHL, he’s going to struggle to become that top line player you want out there as much as possible.

I certainly hope we’ll see a change in the right direction next year and a player who has more pep in his step.

It’s frustrating to not see any improvement in that regard over 3 seasons. Because that would solve a lot of his problems. Not looking as ”lazy” by getting to loose pucks quicker and having the endurance to give consistent 2nd efforts. Creating more chances on his own. Winning more battles. All this breeds confidence which means likely more goals.

I find it very strange that he doesn’t skate at all in the summer. Again, in my opinion, for a player with that weakness, if you really wanted to do everything to get better you’d want to hit the ice even earlier than most guys do. Instead you’re starting the season just trying to get the skating legs going.

Idk, i just haven’t seen many positive signs in regards to having that competitive fire and desire to be the best. I hate to sound negative and all but it’s only because i want to see the best version of him and prove the naysayers wrong. I know he’s capable of much more than being a player who people see as ”nothing more than the shot”.

I hope Chevy lowballs him hard in the summer. 1 year show me deal. Maybe money could serve as another motivator, and a bit of a wakeup call. Coming into the season hearing experts say 10M long-term deal is all but guaranteed, and then seeing that number go down dramatically on a short-term could be a bit of a shocker.

In any case, crucial season coming up and i think it’ll tell a lot about where he ends up as a player.

I do agree with a lot of things you say, but deliberately lowballing a star player is not conductive for a good long-term relationship between a player and the team. I sense he was pretty demotivated because of his ice-time not going up when he was playing exceptionally well (and even though he was promised more ice-time at the end of last year). Sure he could have handled it better but the feeling of not being able to affect something no matter what you do, a sense of futility, can be pretty demoralizing. In other words I don’t think it’d be warranted for Chevy to go out of his way to be an a-hole.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Not for me. I enjoy it but I'm no nut. I used to go quite a bit back in the day and then life got in the way.

After my back surgery, docs advised against it. I've done a few rounds since moving out here and had no issues but swinging isn't quite as comfortable as it used to be.

Good on you for flogging 8 weeks post-op! Must be that squirrel diet;)

Backs are a lot more complicated.
I have been blessed with good health other than arthritis.
Hope Laine gets fully recovered
You as well

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Definitely the toughest to figure out. I have to believe that Chevy has a good handle on Laines health and aspirations. So that always gives me hope.

You would figure if Laine had a serious back injury or Ehlers a fractured leg management would sit them and not risk it becoming worse.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

I don't think he should get lowballed, that's how you ruin the relationship b/w the two parties.

I think he should get a fair long-term deal which takes in factors such as his great first 2 years, the little to no improvements in his play, and this past 50 point/abysmal 5v5 year. If Laine's camp don't want to lock into a long-term rate after this year then they can elect the bridge. But there's no way a long-term deal in the 9's and 10's million should be on the table coming off this year.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I don't think he should get lowballed, that's how you ruin the relationship b/w the two parties.

I do agree with a lot of things you say, but deliberately lowballing a star player is not conductive for a good long-term relationship between a player and the team. I sense he was pretty demotivated because of his ice-time not going up when he was playing exceptionally well (and even though he was promised more ice-time at the end of last year). Sure he could have handled it better but the feeling of not being able to affect something no matter what you do, a sense of futility, can be pretty demoralizing. In other words I don’t think it’d be warranted for Chevy to go out of his way to be an a-hole.

Yeah i didn't mean lowballing him to be an asshole. What i meant was basically have an emphasis on what have you done for me lately, instead of potential or past 40 goal season. It's sort of lowballing since a lot of RFA's have got big deals recently, but i wouldn't feel comfortable taking the risk at this time. I'd rather pay more knowing Laine is close to reaching his potential than give security to a guy who isn't showing signs of improvement when he should be.

In my opinion Laine's camp should see this as reasonable.

Besides, if Laine got a big payday after the season he had, what kind of message does that send to guys like Scheifele and Ehlers who were on board with the deals they got?

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

I think he should get a fair long-term deal which takes in factors such as his great first 2 years, the little to no improvements in his play, and this past 50 point/abysmal 5v5 year. If Laine's camp don't want to lock into a long-term rate after this year then they can elect the bridge. But there's no way a long-term deal in the 9's and 10's million should be on the table coming off this year.

I think it will all come out in the wash during negotiations. We won't hear any of it though. Chevy will know from trainers etc exactly what Laine's back is like and what his work ethic/conditioning is like. He will hear from Laine's agent if Laine has any concerns about his career here.

Laine will hear what Chevy's plan is for the future and how/if Laine fits into that plan.

Again, we will hear nothing of any of this, and we will be left to speculate. I just really hope that they are on the same page for the sake of the team overall.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Yeah i didn't mean lowballing him to be an *******. What i meant was basically have an emphasis on what have you done for me lately, instead of potential or past 40 goal season. It's sort of lowballing since a lot of RFA's have got big deals recently, but i wouldn't feel comfortable taking the risk at this time. I'd rather pay more knowing Laine is close to reaching his potential than give security to a guy who isn't showing signs of improvement when he should be.

I don't get the 'doesn't show signs of improvement' thing I keep hearing?

He's doing exactly what he's been asked to do.... work on his defensive game. He's done that at the expense of being a sniper or an aggressive forward like we are used to seeing from him. He got back to that in the playoffs, but if Maurice wants him to play better defence and with less TOI and on a line with no chemistry, then that's not on Laine. He's just doing what he's told. I actually think he was a pretty good student this year. He is more physical, winning a lot of board battles, while still scoring at a pretty good clip.

Again, we will never know but at least all parties involved in the contract talks will know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad