Patrik Laine II: The Roof Still is Still On (for now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
There's a thread on reddit's main hockey board about it and the Finnish posters are saying it was a boring, nothing interview that got turned into something due to a not-quite-right translation.
I just checked and you weren't kidding :laugh: Finns on there are calling the translation "absolutely horrible", "flat out terrible" etc

Reactions: majormajor

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
I just checked and you weren't kidding :laugh: Finns on there are calling the translation "absolutely horrible", "flat out terrible" etc
It is not a terrible translation as such. It's just that the context is left out and then a different completely wrong context is implied in what I can only guess is a fully intentional effort to create drama and hate. I am a subscriber of the newspaper that the article the tweet is referring to was published in. The article in turn quotes another article in YLE. YLE in turn is where Laine among other things says he loves everything about Columbus praises Torts and the The Jackets and whips himself for having been terrible. But you know, this is how it goes in twitter and this is how it goes in hockey "journalism". Combine the two and you have truck loads of manure. So there they are laughing at Laine hating Columbus blaming his team and Torts and wanting out. And also the immortal he just wants to play video games.

If I were a CBJ fan I wouldn't worry about Laine wanting to stay or liking it over there. I would be more worried about if he can bounce back in the next season and live up to his contract.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
It is not a terrible translation as such. It's just that the context is left out and then a different completely wrong context is implied in what I can only guess is a fully intentional effort to create drama and hate. I am a subscriber of the newspaper that the article the tweet is referring to was published in. The article in turn quotes another article in YLE. YLE in turn is where Laine among other things says he loves everything about Columbus praises Torts and the The Jackets and whips himself for having been terrible. But you know, this is how it goes in twitter and this is how it goes in hockey "journalism". Combine the two and you have truck loads of manure. So there they are laughing at Laine hating Columbus blaming his team and Torts and wanting out. And also the immortal he just wants to play video games.

If I were a CBJ fan I wouldn't worry about Laine wanting to stay or liking it over there. I would be more worried about if he can bounce back in the next season and live up to his contract.
Is ii this link? Patrik Laine kertoo väleistään kohuvalmentaja John Tortorellaan: "Tuli huomattua, että hänelle on ihan sama, kuka olet tai kuinka paljon sinulla on palkkakuitissa nollia"

Last edited:

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011

No praises but stating they had no issues

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It's important to note that most English-Finnish translations are absolutely awful when done directly, especially since google translate is notoriously hopeless with Finnish and won't be of any help. Rather than doing a direct translation, here's what the YLE piece is about:

In the Yle interview, Laine says that everything that went wrong went wrong, and that the season was a horrible experience for both him and his team(not that he disliked the team), and that the only thing he really is happy about is that the season's over. Then he commented on there having been a ton of games in a short period of time.

Afterwards, he says that he didn't really have many success during the entire season and didn't reach the level he should be able to. Then he says he won't be giving excuses and says that he's disappointed he couldn't reach his own level.

Afterwards, he said that Laine had no issues with Tortorella - that if you're not playing well you're not playing at all and said that he agrees with Tortorella on that.

Afterwards, Laine said that it was a strange situation in that nothing seemed to work out either for himself as an individual or for his team, and he was disappointed he couldn't help his team. It's bothered him for the entire season, since he knows what he should be capable of. He says he takes responsibility for his failure.

He says he wants to leave his season behind him and have a fresh reset, with a similar plan for the summer as last season.

In the end Laine says that he's open to signing an extension and has been enjoying his time with Columbus.

All in all, it's a boring interview where Laine's only saying obvious things and clearly has undertaken some media talk / hockey jargon as it's quite a snorefest. Requires some creative misquoting to be able to make that into an interview where he hates hockey and CBJ.

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
No praises but stating they had no issues
Finnish: "- Ei minulla ollut ongelmia hänen kanssaan. "Torts" on niin rehellinen ja mukava mies kuin olla ja voi."

I am not a native speaker of Finnish as I assume you are so I am not going to talk back to you, and maybe I am wrong. But to me the second sentence looks like a praise. He calls Torts as honest and as nice as a man can be. There really is no good translation to word "mukava" though, don't you agree? Nice is so watered down it feels too mild and pleasant is a bit off as well.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
" I don't have any problems with him at all. He is a nice/kind a man as can be."

I'm pleased that he is taking ownership of this failed season, but not with the plan to keep training the same way with Barkov.

Sasha is an absolute physical beast the complete opposite body type to Patrik. Granted he needs to push hard to keep up with Sasha but Patty needs to get so much stronger and gain some more quick twitch muscles in his legs.

Hope the Colulmbus coaching staff can point him in the right direction.

All in all I think it's quite aparen't that there was also an issue with his confidence after the first benching.

Look at how assertive he was in his play was in the games leading up to it.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
" I don't have any problems with him at all. He is a nice/kind a man as can be."

I'm pleased that he is taking ownership of this failed season, but not with the plan to keep training the same way with Barkov.

Sasha is an absolute physical beast the complete opposite body type to Patrik. Granted he needs to push hard to keep up with Sasha but Patty needs to get so much stronger and gain some more quick twitch muscles in his legs.

All in all I think it's quite aparen't that there was also an issue with his confidence after the first benching.

They can train together but trainings plans have different because of different bodies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Finnish: "- Ei minulla ollut ongelmia hänen kanssaan. "Torts" on niin rehellinen ja mukava mies kuin olla ja voi."

I am not a native speaker of Finnish as I assume you are so I am not going to talk back to you, and maybe I am wrong. But to me the second sentence looks like a praise. He calls Torts as honest and as nice as a man can be. There really is no good translation to word "mukava" though, don't you agree? Nice is so watered down it feels too mild and pleasant is a bit off as well.
In general, the language's difficult to translate because English has far more words than Finnish for most purposes. In Finnish one word can have 3 English equivalent in different contexts. "Nice" doesn't really catch the nuance indeed, I think something like "decent" would work better.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011

With the context correct meaning is fine or proper. Yes Im native and finnish is sometimes hard to translate, "oikein mukava" doesnt have praising tone it would have to be "todella mukava" or "erittäin mukava"

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014

I pointed out multiple times when Laine was benched after scoring 2+1 and feeling good.
Instead of addressing it after the game, Torts benched him in the game.
Laine didn‘t want to lose his confidence but he started second guessing every move.
Add to that the Jackets had no decent playmaker and no PP system and it only added to Laine doubting himself.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I pointed out multiple times when Laine was benched after scoring 2+1 and feeling good.
Instead of addressing it after the game, Torts benched him in the game.
Laine didn‘t want to lose his confidence but he started second guessing every move.
Add to that the Jackets had no decent playmaker and no PP system and it only added to Laine doubting himself.
Torts benched him only twice. The first if he has no too good manners, the second although he scored two goals his play wasn't ideal in the third period minimum. Plus Patrik doesn't need a playmaker. As an experience demonstrated he can be quite good playmaker too, more preciselly he can feed his partners very good. I don`t understand why everybody does only a sniper for him if it isn't right.

Last edited:

Granlundwillshine

Oct 15, 2013
what he says is more like, the season was terrible, for me and the team, who can say hes not right?

also in the same interiew he says: its weird to be in this situation because usually either me or the team has been doing good, now neither of us was doing that. but im not going to point any fingers, i take this failure on myself

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Anyone else think Laine is getting haunted by whatever curse was afflicting Wennberg while he was here?

He looked timid, weak on his skates, and scared to shoot.

And he only put up 17 goals. Wait no, that's Wennberg this year in Florida. Laine had 12.

Reactions: EspenK

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Anyone else think Laine is getting haunted by whatever curse was afflicting Wennberg while he was here?

And he only put up 17 goals. Wait no, that's Wennberg this year in Florida. Laine had 12.

Did Tom Wilson hit Laine?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Ironically I think Wennberg could have been a good fit with Laine. He always played pretty high in the zone, was always in good position to get back on D and always looking to make the pass instead of shooting. And with someone like Laine on his wing I'm sure that wouldnt have changed any. And with Dubois forcing his way out we desperately needed another body in the middle.

Reactions: VeseleTlacovky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad