Patrik Laine II: The Roof Still is Still On (for now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Laine had a good game and was looking a bit more confident out there, and Torts benches him? The old man has lost it. If I were Jarmo, I’d be making some calls right now and tell Torts to clean his desk at the office.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Dude just loafs too much.

He's a big loaf, I'll give you that. But he's trying out there.

He's a good backchecker too, not at all at fault defensively tonight. Got a couple points and his line with Bjorkstrand and Nash was really strong. They had a 67% shot share and Torts broke them up. I have no idea what Torts is doing anymore.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Dude looked pretty pissed off in the press conference. I think that's it for Columbus and Laine, 25 more games. Can't see that this one was due to mouthing off like the last one.

*eyeroll*

people need to get a grip. the man was literally gushing about the city *checks watch* 6 hours ago. Torts isn't going to be here next year. He'll be fine.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The PLD trade, albeit he held us hostage, is really looking bad as Imcant imagine Laine choosing to stay here.

What happened tonight is a problem. You can't bench a player without a clearly communicated reason for doing that. But I think you're making too much of it if you think one incident is going to make him want a new team. A new coach, sure, that seems to be necessary. But not a new team unless the poor coaching persists.

I'm sure Patty had higher expectations of himself coming here but he isn't stupid. He knew it would be harder to score without elite forwards around. He wanted to leave Winnipeg most of all because he wants to be a top forward for his team. He wants to be a better and more important player. The team is struggling and he isn't in top form either but it is important to him that the team needs him. If they get some decent coaching I don't see why Patty wouldn't be committed to Columbus.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
What happened tonight is a problem. You can't bench a player without a clearly communicated reason for doing that. But I think you're making too much of it if you think one incident is going to make him want a new team. A new coach, sure, that seems to be necessary. But not a new team unless the poor coaching persists.

I'm sure Patty had higher expectations of himself coming here but he isn't stupid. He knew it would be harder to score without elite forwards around. He wanted to leave Winnipeg most of all because he wants to be a top forward for his team. He wants to be a better and more important player. The team is struggling and he isn't in top form either but it is important to him that the team needs him. If they get some decent coaching I don't see why Patty wouldn't be committed to Columbus.
No, I don’t base my comment on just tonight. It’s based on his cumulative (to date) experience here and includes:
Losing
Outlook for the team ahead
Lack of getting the puck as he’s accustomed to
Torts

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
I expect there to be some articles in the Finnish media in the near future. Laine has his trusted Finnish journalists who liked to trash Paul Maurice for playing him on the second line with Little. They have been surprisingly quiet so far this year, perhaps due to fear of Jarmo. At some point they'll have to write about what's going on with Laine and Torts. And yeah, it's pretty clear that a coaching change is needed if the other option is that Laine is gone like Dubois & co.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
No, I don’t base my comment on just tonight. It’s based on his cumulative (to date) experience here and includes:
Losing
Torts
- yes, the first is a problem but he is a leader he must lead a team
- it`s too early to talk about it
- if he wants to be the best, he has to create a chance himself, not just wait for passes, by the way, he has improved a lot
- it`s mantra

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Losing
Torts

Losing - being pissed about losing is a universal thing. Some players bottle that fire up and do everything to make their team a winner. Some others just want to play for a winner, they don't take responsibility for making it happen. That to me is a poor character type and it is unfair to Patty to assume that he has that trait.

Outlook for the team ahead - As above I think he wants to be part of the solution. Unless they go on a full rebuild they should be back to the midpack soon. And Patty is the type to want to be leaned on by his team. Winnipeg didn't have a big enough role for him, they didn't want him on their top line. The Jackets need him and that's big for him.

Lack of getting the puck as he’s accustomed to - This hasn't been a big issue the last two games. Maybe there is an internal unit that can solve that problem. That or Jarmo needs to get a good center.

Torts - More games like this will make any player want to quit his coach, but Torts won't keep his job for long if he keeps doing this.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Losing - being pissed about losing is a universal thing. Some players bottle that fire up and do everything to make their team a winner. Some others just want to play for a winner, they don't take responsibility for making it happen. That to me is a poor character type and it is unfair to Patty to assume that he has that trait.

This

Outlook for the team ahead - As above I think he wants to be part of the solution. Unless they go on a full rebuild they should be back to the midpack soon. And Patty is the type to want to be leaned on by his team. Winnipeg didn't have a big enough role for him, they didn't want him on their top line. The Jackets need him and that's big for him.
I agree, moreover, it was clear in the Jets that Wheeler and Scheifelle were the main ones and no one had a chance to skip them.

Lack of getting the puck as he’s accustomed to - This hasn't been a big issue the last two games. Maybe there is an internal unit that can solve that problem. That or Jarmo needs to get a good center.

Again I agree he`s better and better in this.

Torts - More games like this will make any player want to quit his coach, but Torts won't keep his job for long if he keeps doing this.

It will be important here if they explain it to each other, we will know more tomorrow, I hope.

Reactions: majormajor

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
This

I agree, moreover, it was clear in the Jets that Wheeler and Scheifelle were the main ones and no one had a chance to skip them.

Again I agree he`s better and better in this.

It will be important here if they explain it to each other, we will know more tomorrow, I hope.

EDIT: It he was benched because of his work before PKg, I understand. Torts wants to grow up TOP player for him and not only very good player so he`s demanding on him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
EDIT: It he was benched because of his work before PKg, I understand. Torts wants to grow up TOP player for him and not only very good player so he`s demanding on him.

That shift was bad. His minutes were cut before then though. Why was he taken off the Nash-Bjorkstrand unit, when they pushed play so well? They had one goal for and one goal against. Laine's other two goals against were when Torts took Laine and put him with Roslovic in the third period.

Reactions: HHel and Halberdier

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Laine:

"Yeah, we got scored on a couple of times (when I was on the ice), but I think the first two, if you take out the one play where the puck was bouncing a little bit and I couldn't get it out, I thought I was playing good. But I guess I was wrong."

He understands why he was benched, IMHO.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
It is clear that the gamble undertaken by Jarmo has failed. There could still be ways to cash-in on Laine before his value is completely lost after the deadline. Barring a miracle run by the team, they should investigate opportunities to profit from an overpayment by a contender.

6zag

Apr 30, 2016
It is clear that the gamble undertaken by Jarmo has failed. There could still be ways to cash-in on Laine before his value is completely done away at the deadline. Barring a miracle run by the team, they should investigate opportunities to profit from an overpayment by a contender.

Torts is more likely to get fired than Laine traded imo.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
??? Sorry, I`m not too good in English so maybe I don`t understand right. Is ti mean Patrik doesn`t think he was bad in this situation?

He did play quite well and was really unlucky on those goals against.

The first goal against was on Laine who didn't get the bouncing puck out of the zone, but he tried. S happens sometimes.

The 2nd goal he did backcheck well to prevent a good shot, but that other guy made a baseball shot out of the air from the rebound. Nobody's fault. Just a super lucky goal.

Was the 3rd minus right after a line change? Anyways, nice and a bit lucky shot that had nothing to do how Laine played on ice.

I don't really know why Foligno was sent to the ice on OT to replace Jenner who won the draw. I just don't get it. Was expecting Laine or at least someone with puck skills instead. You can use Jenner or Foligno to win the draw and then replace them with skilled guys like Laine, Björk, Domi, Roslo, Texier etc.

On 3-on-3 you need guys like Laine that can keep the puck and move it. You don't need stone hands and also guys that shoot the puck from every situation as you don't want to lose the puck for 0% scoring opportunities.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
He did play quite well and was really unlucky on those goals against.

The first goal against was on Laine who didn't get the bouncing puck out of the zone, but he tried. S happens sometimes.

The 2nd goal he did backcheck well to prevent a good shot, but that other guy made a baseball shot out of the air from the rebound. Nobody's fault. Just a super lucky goal.

Was the 3rd minus right after a line change? Anyways, nice and a bit lucky shot that had nothing to do how Laine played on ice.

I don't really know why Foligno was sent to the ice on OT to replace Jenner who won the draw. I just don't get it. Was expecting Laine or at least someone with puck skills instead. You can use Jenner or Foligno to win the draw and then replace them with skilled guys like Laine, Björk, Domi, Roslo, Texier etc.

On 3-on-3 you need guys like Laine that can keep the puck and move it. You don't need stone hands and also guys that shoot the puck from every situation as you don't want to lose the puck for 0% scoring opportunities.
I don't quite agree.
The first goal his mistake. He lost the puck at the board and then he didn't block the shot properly.
The second goals - see what Jones did in front of the goalkeeper. He didn't stop the player, so he had the opportunity to shoot. In addition, there are questions about Merzlikins, why he bounced off the puck as he bounced off. True, Elvis can be understood, he did not play for a long time, so some reactions are not ideal.
It was he who confused what the result was PK. Torts have high demands on him, he said it himself.
I agree with one, not to let him play in OT. But when you look at it with a cold head, it is possible that sometimes it is necessary to finish teaching. Fortunately, we only lost a point. With the last 5 matches we have 5 points, while with Florida we were better, which is a good signal before the next matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad