Patrik Laine II: The Roof Still is Still On (for now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I hope he does. I am on the side of not trading him, but I want to see how he comes back next year. Staying in Columbus for a bit and working there gives me hope that he is serious on improving his game and wanting to stay there, but he really has some work to do to improve on last year.
I can only agree... :thumbu:

Reactions: Monstershockey

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
When Laine got benched the first time, like you say the mind games began, he responded well from that, 7 points in his next 6 games. Then he played like garbage for the rest of the season pretty much. This isn't a confidence issue. Saying a player is playing without confidence is just a polite way of saying they are playing like crap. Laine played like crap. For all we know it could be Laine that wants to learn to be an all around player and he is struggling right now to become that. Lets see what happens this off season and what he works on to become a better player. I would like to see him be better in more areas and become tougher to defend against. That would serve him better also when contract talks come up.
People aren't the ones saying he had no confidence.

Laine himself has said it over and over. He just wanted the season to be over.

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
Laine looked completely defeated in the press conferences, says he doesn't want to think about hockey at all and Jarmo says he has no confidence. But sure, according to people here we should keep using him the same way as under Torts, because that brought, er, success? Laine went from almost a PPG player to a 0.5 PPG and -28 player with worsening in every measurable advanced statistic.

The fact that Larsen recognizes Laine needs to play with the best players is the best possible news. Those players are not Nash or Stenlund types. It doesn't mean Laine should be on the ice for 20+ minutes or only play offense, but you do need to get the goals from a guy who is paid 7 million a year. Every player should find a role in the team where his skill is best utilized.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Laine looked completely defeated in the press conferences, says he doesn't want to think about hockey at all and Jarmo says he has no confidence. But sure, according to people here we should keep using him the same way as under Torts, because that brought, er, success? Laine went from almost a PPG player to a 0.5 PPG and -28 player with worsening in every measurable advanced statistic.

The fact that Larsen recognizes Laine needs to play with the best players is the best possible news. Those players are not Nash or Stenlund types. It doesn't mean Laine should be on the ice for 20+ minutes or only play offense, but you do need to get the goals from a guy who is paid 7 million a year. Every player should find a role in the team where his skill is best utilized.
Who are these best players? He pretty much played with everybody last year and killed every line he was on. He was -28 because he didn't play well. A guy making 7 million a year and is a PPG player should be able to generate some offence himself and make the guys around him better. Him saying he has no confidence is an excuse. He was awful last year. Roslovic outplayed him with the same players around him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Who are these best players? He pretty much played with everybody last year and killed every line he was on. He was -28 because he didn't play well. A guy making 7 million a year and is a PPG player should be able to generate some offence himself and make the guys around him better. Him saying he has no confidence is an excuse. He was awful last year. Roslovic outplayed him with the same players around him.

Yeah I was clamoring for him to play with Bjorkstrand, and then Laine sank Bjorkstrand! I'm not seeing a good answer here. I don't think we have a linemates solution for him.

Really unless Laine shows up in much better shape next year I don't think we should keep him. We're not going to be the best place for him to recover his game, we likely just kill his value further.

Reactions: Monstershockey

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
IMHO Brad Larsen had in mind that he would not players for 3/4 line (I mean hockey qualities) and not that he would be looking for players for him. Neither Ovechkin / Matthews / McDavid / Kucherov nor Panarin play with 3/4 line players, only to make them better, always with the strongest. Panarin didn`t play with Foligno and Anderson but Dubois and Bjorkstrand. And as for his dependence on players, you know that's not true. But if someone has an excellent shot, most coaches will want to use it.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The only line that “worked” with Laine last year was Laine-Roslovic-Cam. I do think Roslovic and Laine had some chemistry but that might just be because of familiarity together since they’ve played on the same team for years. Either way, unless we add someone significant, I would start with this line

Reactions: Ippenator

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
So you're calling Laine a liar essentially?

I don't know how many of y'all have played hockey(or any sport), but your mental state 100% effects you're ability to do things. Hockey players are humans too, they go through all the same emotions you and I do. And when your mental state isn't right, you're not going to play right. Confidence absolutely plays a factor...

These aren't just robots that always do what they're told and perform tasks to the best of their abilities. You think because he's making the money he is due that it automatically makes him happy? You move to a city in the middle of a pandemic where you know absolutely nobody, can't even see your family or go out and enjoy the town and get to know your new environment.

Because I did that last March and I can tell you from my own personal experience, that the last year has borderline wrecked my mental state.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
IMHO Brad Larsen had in mind that he would not players for 3/4 line (I mean hockey qualities) and not that he would be looking for players for him. Neither Ovechkin / Matthews / McDavid / Kucherov nor Panarin play with 3/4 line players, only to make them better, always with the strongest. Panarin didn`t play with Foligno and Anderson but Dubois and Bjorkstrand. And as for his dependence on players, you know that's not true. But if someone has an excellent shot, most coaches will want to use it.

- Panarin actually played a while with Dubois and Anderson when neither were firm top six players.

- Panarin's first year in NY was with Strome and Fast. Neither were considered top six caliber at the beginning of that. Fast still isn't.

- McDavid plays with bottom six wingers most of the time. Kassian, Kahun, Puljujarvi.

- Tom Wilson was a 4th liner for years before being promoted to play with Ovechkin.

There are a lot of players around the league who play with linemates far above or far below them in talent. Laine isn't like those guys you mentioned, he needs a lot more help, and I'm not sure we have the help to give him. You can say "oh just put him with talent", but who? If you sink Bjorkstrand then you are too heavy for anyone on this team.

Reactions: ColumbusTrill

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So you're calling Laine a liar essentially?

I don't know how many of y'all have played hockey(or any sport), but your mental state 100% effects you're ability to do things. Hockey players are humans too, they go through all the same emotions you and I do. And when your mental state isn't right, you're not going to play right. Confidence absolutely plays a factor...

These aren't just robots that always do what they're told and perform tasks to the best of their abilities. You think because he's making the money he is due that it automatically makes him happy? You move to a city in the middle of a pandemic where you know absolutely nobody, can't even see your family or go out and enjoy the town and get to know your new environment.

Because I did that last March and I can tell you from my own personal experience, that the last year has borderline wrecked my mental state.

You're 100% right. It's why Laine is so damn streaky. Same reason Cam is so streaky. You score you get confidence and you score more, you don't score and you lose confidence and you score less. I just wish players like that would quit worrying about what they can't control and just play the game properly. Move your damn feet, finish your check, play hard. This isn't a problem for guys who don't come up as pure scorers. Matt Calvert never had to be told to move his feet. I see the pouting as kind of selfish - like your team needs you to play hard and all you think about is your own problems.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
You're 100% right. It's why Laine is so damn streaky. Same reason Cam is so streaky. You score you get confidence and you score more, you don't score and you lose confidence and you score less. I just wish players like that would quit worrying about what they can't control and just play the game properly. Move your damn feet, finish your check, play hard. This isn't a problem for guys who don't come up as pure scorers. Matt Calvert never had to be told to move his feet. I see the pouting as kind of selfish - like your team needs you to play hard and all you think about is your own problems.
Laine is still young enough, if he gets the right kind of mentor in the lineup that he might be able to pick up some new good habits. I get what you're saying, but we aren't all wired the same way so it's easier said than done.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Laine is still young enough, if he gets the right kind of mentor in the lineup that he might be able to pick up some new good habits. I get what you're saying, but we aren't all wired the same way so it's easier said than done.

Who might that mentor be?

Gus?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Oh I didn't say he was on the roster. Could be one of the coaches or maybe he's inspired by seeing how someone else handles their off-season.

Mostly it's just wishful thinking

Wishful thinking for me too, but I want it to be Gus. I love that guy.

Reactions: CBJx614
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad