Patrik Laine II: The Roof Still is Still On (for now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
I'm really happy Jarmo is going to do whatever he can to acquire a 1C. I mean he's got to be due - he's been trying to get one each year since he's been here...
But im still pretty unsure what name wants Jarmo bring, i cant see many available players which will fit the bill. RNH may be most possible option i guess? Or maybe Monahan, who looks pretty unwanted here, is he really that bad??

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
But im still pretty unsure what name wants Jarmo bring, i cant see many available players which will fit the bill. RNH may be most possible option i guess? Or maybe Monahan, who looks pretty unwanted here, is he really that bad??

I think a trade maybe can be had (assuming owners will allow to spend the money). Now I think in most of the cases we will get a 2C type and have to give up picks and prospects. But there will likely be teams looking to move salaries but we have to be willing to pay out $$$ and give up assets (and there will lbe other teams playing to get those guys as well)

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
these are the last 2 games Laine plays for CBJ

Laine + one of the Bluejackets 1st round picks for a center
23 years old, talent guy with one bad COVID season who WANTS to play here and probably a good player for whom? Write me possible centers especially if we have Domi and Roslovic. How we can resign Werenski and Jones in this case? I would like to see your answer.

Reactions: LJ7201 and Viqsi

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think a trade maybe can be had (assuming owners will allow to spend the money). Now I think in most of the cases we will get a 2C type and have to give up picks and prospects. But there will likely be teams looking to move salaries but we have to be willing to pay out $$$ and give up assets (and there will lbe other teams playing to get those guys as well)
Salary cup. From the next season Bjork's salary will be $5,400,000;
Laine's $7,500,000 (he can't have less, thanks to NHLPA), don't forget Atkinson's salary and Nyquist will be fine so his salary will count. Plus Texier he's RFA.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
these are the last 2 games Laine plays for CBJ

Laine + one of the Bluejackets 1st round picks for a center
That's the hoped-for trade result, but if you pay attention to most trade discussions and reports, the quality of center we'd be getting would be below that of what we already have, assuming we're ever offered one at all. So I don't consider it particularly likely. On the other hand, Kekalainen has suprised us before, so... :dunno:

The fact that he wants to stay here, though, has made me much less eager to move him at all. I still think that he can become a true badass, and in the event of that happening I'd really like it if he was our badass. Right now he's only half of that at any given time.

Reactions: LJ7201 and koteka

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
That's the hoped-for trade result, but if you pay attention to most trade discussions and reports, the quality of center we'd be getting would be below that of what we already have, assuming we're ever offered one at all. So I don't consider it particularly likely. On the other hand, Kekalainen has suprised us before, so... :dunno:

The fact that he wants to stay here, though, has made me much less eager to move him at all. I still think that he can become a true badass, and in the event of that happening I'd really like it if he was our badass. Right now he's only half of that at any given time.
Vegas in the 2017/18
centers:
William Karlsson, Eric Haula, Cody Eakin
wingers:
Jonathan Marchessault, David Perron, Rilley Smith, James Neal, Alex Tuch, Ryan Carpenter

Compare stats of the centers before his playing in Vegas. For example Haula had good stats only because he played with excelent wingers in Vegas. I would like to see Karlsson`s stats without these wingers. I don`t say about Cody Eakin. And this team played in the final of Stanley Cup.

So centers aren`t so important.

CrockyCrock

May 7, 2021
Vegas in the 2017/18
centers:
wingers:
Jonathan Marchessault, David Perron, Rilley Smith, James Neal, Alex Tuch, Ryan Carpenter

Compare stats of the centers before his playing in Vegas. For example Haula had good stats only because he played with excelent wingers in Vegas. I would like to see Karlsson`s stats without these wingers. I don`t say about Cody Eakin. And this team played in the final of Stanley Cup.

I understand the appeal of the Vegas example basically because it makes us want to think we aren’t as far away as we really are.

That team was great but an outlier. The exception not the rule. As inspired of a team as maybe ever to make something amazing happen but also consider the centers of teams who have won the cup. Last 10 years champs are names like Bergeron, Kopitar, Toews, Crosby, Malkin, Backstrom and the list is longer. The ones mentioned are better every center this team has had and Roslovic and Domi aren’t even close IMO. We need at least 1 ELITE.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

1. Laine wants To stay

2. Laine takes responsibility for his poor play and blames only himself. Plans to stay in Columbus at the end of the season to continue to work with our strength and conditioning staff

3. jackets want to keep him

4. jarmo is looking to do whatever he can to acquire a top line center to help him

It it`s right and he improve his play in all not only the shot, we can say that, everything is wrong with something good.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Vegas in the 2017/18
centers:
wingers:

I agree the team doesn't necessarily need excellent centers but rather the right centers for the wingers and whoever the coach is

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I understand the appeal of the Vegas example basically because it makes us want to think we aren’t as far away as we really are.

That team was great but an outlier. The exception not the rule. As inspired of a team as maybe ever to make something amazing happen but also consider the centers of teams who have won the cup. Last 10 years champs are names like Bergeron, Kopitar, Toews, Crosby, Malkin, Backstrom and the list is longer. The ones mentioned are better every center this team has had and Roslovic and Domi aren’t even close IMO. We need at least 1 ELITE.
We need three very good lines and defensmen. Ice-hockey isn't about one player. Domi, Roslovic and, for example, Granlund, would be very good central line. Besides don't forget the most important of all is chemistry among players in the line. Where is written 1C would have chemistry with his partners? If not why in this case? Plus salary. If we would take 1C his salary wouldn't be little. In this case some very good players would have to go out. And...we reload the team. That's why we need to give a chance young players.

CrockyCrock

May 7, 2021
We need three very good lines and defensmen. Ice-hockey isn't about one player. Domi, Roslovic and, for example, Granlund, would be very good central line. Besides don't forget the most important of all is chemistry among players in the line. Where is written 1C would have chemistry with his partners? If not why in this case? Plus salary. If we would take 1C his salary wouldn't be little. In this case some very good players would have to go out. And...we reload the team. That's why we need to give a chance young players.
I won’t be rude but I’ll also say unless Roslovic Domi and Granlund unlock another step or two of skill they are lucky to ever see the second round.
And I don’t know what you mean by chemistry. We don’t get to test drive players and considering it’s reported about every other week we want a #1 center in the off-season clearly Jarmo knows the answer isn’t on the roster.
I’ll counter my own previous point at least saying all of those guys I mentioned were drafted so we’re likely screwed anyways.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Did you not read the newest report on the previous page or did you just dismiss it

I watched the video clip with the commentator’s “sense” that Laine wants to stay to work out with the strength and conditioning personnel before going back to Finland, and you mischaracterizing that as saying Laine wants to stay in Columbus for next season.

Maybe he does, maybe he doesn’t. The report didn’t say either way.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I watched the video clip with the commentator’s “sense” that Laine wants to stay to work out with the strength and conditioning personnel before going back to Finland, and you mischaracterizing that as saying Laine wants to stay in Columbus for next season.

Maybe he does, maybe he doesn’t. The report didn’t say either way.

Its pretty implied

Reactions: LJ7201

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Its pretty implied

My takeaway is that Laine certainly wants to be better for next season and he is under team control for two years. He will probably sign the a 1-year QO. His actual desires will be known when it it time to commit long-term or not.

Him trying to improve his offseason conditioning shouldn’t be taken as a long-term desire to stay.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
My takeaway is that Laine certainly wants to be better for next season and he is under team control for two years. He will probably sign the a 1-year QO. His actual desires will be known when it it time to commit long-term or not.

Him trying to improve his offseason conditioning shouldn’t be taken as a long-term desire to stay.

No but the "he wants to stay" should be taken as a long term desire to stay. but you do you

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

1. Laine wants To stay

2. Laine takes responsibility for his poor play and blames only himself. Plans to stay in Columbus at the end of the season to continue to work with our strength and conditioning staff

3. jackets want to keep him

4. jarmo is looking to do whatever he can to acquire a top line center to help him

What do you think about Portzline words about Patrik?
Seth Jones, John Tortorella and the Blue Jackets' biggest stories of the offseason

Kekalainen hated having to trade Dubois early this season, but the hope was that forwards Patrik Laine and Roslovic — while neither is a No. 1 center — could boost the Blue Jackets offensively.

Roslovic has actually been a revelation on that end of the rink, but Laine looks nothing like the elite-level goal scorer he was early in his career with Winnipeg. One of his issues with the Jets was that he always felt like a second-tier star behind Mark Scheifele, Blake Wheeler, Kyle Connor, etc.
But given a chance to be the focal point in Columbus, he has failed miserably. To be clear, there’s nobody talented enough to roll with him on a line, and he’s looked thoroughly disengaged in too many games this season. There hasn’t been a whiff of “get behind me, boys.”

Kekalainen has to answer some very difficult questions as it relates to Laine:

• Can his game be turned around with a different coach/system?
• Can the Blue Jackets find an elite center to play with him this summer?

Those players are typically only available in the draft, and they take a few years to develop. Laine is an RFA for only two more seasons. Do these time frames line up?

Sources have told The Athletic that Kekalainen is not averse to trading Laine this summer if he gets the right deal, that he’s not intent on building around the 23-year-old Finn as the club’s offensive centerpiece.

Because Dreger said:

...My sense is that Laine hopes to stay in Columbus at the conclusion of the season and continue working with their strength and conditioning staff before going back to Finland...

Last edited:
Reactions: Guffman

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I think it's important to remember that next season is a huge contract year for Laine. If he has a season anything like this, he's not going to be a big money player. If he rebounds, then the riches and term are his. His motivation-which doesn't appear to be a constant-will be huge next year. Not so much after a big deal is signed.

After this season's dreadful performance and his rep in Winnipeg, does anyone really want to take a long term big money risk on this guy? I say trade him even if the goings not good. The upside is probably lower than the downside in the aggregate for #29.

Side note: I was going to talk about Wennberg's resurgence for a contract year, but evidently his performance has diminished badly of late. 25 points(13g12a) in 54 games versus 22 points in 67 games last year. And he had Huberdeau as a linemate for a lot of the season and ample PP time.

Would anyone like to re up Al for another 5 years at this point?

Dump Laine this off season. This team is in a major rebuild. A new GM should handle it. The only ones who think it's a "reload" are Jarmo and his acolytes. Dump Jones as well. An 8 year deal of $10+ million will age like a Karlsson/ Doughty contract.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
What do you think about Portzline words about Patrik?
Seth Jones, John Tortorella and the Blue Jackets' biggest stories of the offseason

Because Dreger said:

After a season like this, you shouldn’t have many untouchables.

I don’t think the intention is to trade Laine. But if you get the right deal you have to consider it.

And after the season he’s had; you can’t plan to build around him. Building around one player never works, unless of course you have a Connor mcdavid or Crosby.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think it's important to remember that next season is a huge contract year for Laine. If he has a season anything like this, he's not going to be a big money player. If he rebounds, then the riches and term are his. His motivation-which doesn't appear to be a constant-will be huge next year. Not so much after a big deal is signed.

After this season's dreadful performance and his rep in Winnipeg, does anyone really want to take a long term big money risk on this guy? I say trade him even if the goings not good. The upside is probably lower than the downside in the aggregate for #29.

Side note: I was going to talk about Wennberg's resurgence for a contract year, but evidently his performance has diminished badly of late. 25 points(13g12a) in 54 games versus 22 points in 67 games last year. And he had Huberdeau as a linemate for a lot of the season and ample PP time.

Would anyone like to re up Al for another 5 years at this point?

Dump Laine this off season. This team is in a major rebuild. A new GM should handle it. The only ones who think it's a "reload" are Jarmo and his acolytes. Dump Jones as well. An 8 year deal of $10+ million will age like a Karlsson/ Doughty contract.
Do you really thing he would play like in this season again and again? I doubt.
Salary of the team wouldn`t be a problem.

After a season like this, you shouldn’t have many untouchables.

I don’t think the intention is to trade Laine. But if you get the right deal you have to consider it.

And after the season he’s had; you can’t plan to build around him. Building around one player never works, unless of course you have a Connor mcdavid or Crosby.
Only Jones in fact.
It isn`t possible even around McDavid or Crosby.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

But given a chance to be the focal point in Columbus, he has failed miserably. To be clear, there’s nobody talented enough to roll with him on a line, and he’s looked thoroughly disengaged in too many games this season. There hasn’t been a whiff of “get behind me, boys.”

Am I misreading this? We're going to do the we're not good enough for him thing with Laine, the guy who kills every line he is on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad