Patrik Laine II: The Roof Still is Still On (for now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Am I misreading this? We're going to do the we're not good enough for him thing with Laine, the guy who kills every line he is on?
I don't think it's a secret this team is lacking another true superstar/firepower.

If you want to be a contender I feel like you need at least 2 bonafide superstar/PPG players on the roster. We've never had that. Werenski and Jones don't produce enough offensively to be considered true superstar threats. And nobody outside of Laine has that potential on the offense. Like you have mentioned previously, I think we need another true top line superstar/PPG type player on another line to draw the attention away from Laine.

A player like Panarin would have been perfect to draw the toughest matchups away from Laine.

Jarmo is gonna have a helluva time trying to capture that kinda lighting in a bottle twice. Panarin like deals don't come around often.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think it's a secret this team is lacking another true superstar/firepower.

If you want to be a contender I feel like you need at least 2 bonafide superstar/PPG players on the roster. We've never had that. Werenski and Jones don't produce enough offensively to be considered true superstar threats. And nobody outside of Laine has that potential on the offense. Like you have mentioned previously, I think we need another true top line superstar/PPG type player on another line to draw the attention away from Laine.

A player like Panarin would have been perfect to draw the toughest matchups away from Laine.

Jarmo is gonna have a helluva time trying to capture that kinda lighting in a bottle twice. Panarin like deals don't come around often.

Obviously having a strong top unit to shelter lesser players would be a big help.

But Porty is saying we don't have anyone talented enough to roll on a line with Laine, which is hilarious. It's only true in the same sense that they're not good enough to carry a beer leaguer like me.

Reactions: CBJx614

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Obviously having a strong top unit to shelter lesser players would be a big help.

But Porty is saying we don't have anyone talented enough to roll on a line with Laine, which is hilarious. It's only true in the same sense that they're not good enough to carry a beer leaguer like me.
Sometimes I have a sense Porty's hockey analytics is worse then my English.
What's happen Laine ...IMHO what he must improve:

1. The shot.
Yes, his is excelent but if he's a sniper, it must be 20 points from 20 (eliteprospects).
2. Use his body.
Carrying the puck, working around the board etc, etc. He knows it but he must do it regurally. Btw it isn't about hits. They are often not too good because thanks to it an opponent can start an attack.
3. Playing without the puck.
It's very important not only for forchecking/backchecking but for the playing in the neutral zone. Btw, Grigo has quite good it but he played some years under Nikitin and his players must know it.
4. Acceleration.
IMHO his problem isn't so speed as acceleration, and it is important for blocking of shots because ideal situation is if a player's skating opposite to his player on blue line fast and he can't shoot ideal. And it's work especially for wingers.
5. Moving his legs.
It's better but he must be always in moving, especially if he doesn't have ideal acceleration.
6. Skating.
No comment.
7. Stable play.
No comment

Btw if Dreger is right and he can improve his strenght and condition here too, could his problems be in this too? I only ask. Because Torts need two way play from every player an play every minute.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
I just wonder what he expects to be different next year if he's going to go through the same training and make no adjustments.

Reactions: Kratti

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I just wonder what he expects to be different next year if he's going to go through the same training and make no adjustments.

He could be staying in Columbus for awhile to workout and then in Finland spend another offseason with Barkov.

I really did not like his time in Turku, saw no development during his most important development years

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
Difficult to get much out of him, perhaps he'll be a bit more open with one of his Finnish reporters in the summer. The "I take the blame" mentality is what Finnish athletes always present when they fail to achieve something, anything else is perceived as arrogant or making excuses. Reality is of course a little more complicated.

The only thing I got out of this interview was that he genuinely seems to like the town. It's a bit curious that he doesn't plan to change his summer training after his worst season. If he really takes the blame on himself he should also not be afraid to make changes, doing the same thing over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. Finally, he didn't answer it directly, but he gave the impression that hiring a good playmaker center would help his game, which suggests he hasn't found chemistry with the current "centers".

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Difficult to get much out of him, perhaps he'll be a bit more open with one of his Finnish reporters in the summer. The "I take the blame" mentality is what Finnish athletes always present when they fail to achieve something, anything else is perceived as arrogant or making excuses. Reality is of course a little more complicated.

The only thing I got out of this interview was that he genuinely seems to like the town. It's a bit curious that he doesn't plan to change his summer training after his worst season. If he really takes the blame on himself he should also not be afraid to make changes, doing the same thing over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. Finally, he didn't answer it directly, but he gave the impression that hiring a good playmaker center would help his game, which suggests he hasn't found chemistry with the current "centers".

If he is in the same shape next year as he was this year them I'm not going to expect much of a bounceback. There's only so much he can do on the ice if he isn't strong enough to stay on top of the puck. Lifestyle or training needs to improve.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

Well at minimum I think we're all expecting no global pandemic. That should help!

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

We don't know where were problems, maybe it wasn't his summer training. Plus he had very good chemistry minimum with Domi. If he had good day.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
With Torts gone after the season, Laine would be dumb not to try and make it work for his career and he knows the likeliness of him being traded will be very minimal due to his salary next season.

Columbus will have a tough time trading him at $7.5 million, but if they don't sign him they could lose him for nothing.

My biggest issue with him has always been everyone always reverts back to "he needs to play with better players". This is rarely said with true legitimate scorers and players. All things aside, he has an amazing shot and some amazing talent, but always complains about who hes playing with. I don't see any other superstar in the league moving linemates and up and down the line up like Laine has in his short career.

Hope he works out for CBJ, we have to work on PLD here in Winnipeg or this trade was more than a bust for Winnipeg.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
All this tells me is that he is not untouchable. Someone would have to overpay to get him. To be honest I am fine with that. I do think he stays though

Yeah. I agree but “those” in the organization supporting him to be a one and done could be those at the top, or potentially the leadership group. I guess we’ll see.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Great. :cool: Trade 23 year talant player who WANTS TO STAY there and has a big motivation to be better only for one bad season for a player who doesn`t have to want to play here.
I applaud such logic ... :clap::clap::clap:

Btw my bootjack is a better psychologist then Portzline. :nod:

Btw, can you explain me what`s mean:

"Patrik Laine had a rough first season in Columbus, and there are those in the organization who would support him being a one-and-done."

Thank you very much. :)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Btw, can you explain me what`s mean:

"Patrik Laine had a rough first season in Columbus, and there are those in the organization who would support him being a one-and-done."

Thank you very much. :)

One and done: Laine was here for one year, and now he’s done here (as in traded). Basically saying some people in the organization support him getting traded

Reactions: VeseleTlacovky

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Btw, Laine is RFA, and it`s a question if he want to sign in a new team if he is traded.

Yeah. I agree but “those” in the organization supporting him to be a one and done could be those at the top, or potentially the leadership group. I guess we’ll see.
Jarmo takes decisions and I doubt he would be hear some groups. If he does takes decision he coult be fired for bad results.

Of course if players want to Patrik`s trade he would probably have to do it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad