Patrick Wiercioch is impressive.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
He was another underrated defenseman coming out of the USHL. So many gems come out of that league. Hope we take a long look at Ian McCoshen out of Waterloo and Michael Downing out of Dubuque. Two 6'3 defensemen with skill that aren't getting enough hype, like Wiercioch in his draft year.

USHL is a good league - I got cut by a USHL team... so you know they're awesome. :sarcasm:

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Yea no doubt. You could tell he was still getting used to his body back then, looked kinda like Bambi :laugh:

I was just curious where he ended up on the final rankings. I was really familiar with Lehner but when Wiercioch name was called I had to do way more research then for Lehner lol

EDIT: found him in the HM's of the TSN rankings http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=11508

I think they got the picture wrong though :laugh:

Wow. Good job Sens scouting. Looking at the other guys on that page... sure glad they took Weircioch over them.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Wow. Good job Sens scouting. Looking at the other guys on that page... sure glad they took Weircioch over them.

Well, I love PW but I'd take Hamonic over him in a heartbeat. Jimmy Hayes is going to be a really good player too. Michael Stone is solid but yeah you are right, Wiercioch was the right choice. He has and always has had HUGE upside. Still think he could be a #2.

CarknerCountry

Jun 20, 2010
With all the hype that comes with Gardiner i think Wier is just as good..He is turning out to be one of my favs on the team..Solid top 4 d-man..

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
With all the hype that comes with Gardiner i think Wier is just as good..He is turning out to be one of my favs on the team..Solid top 4 d-man..

Wiercioch has played more sheltered mins then Gardiner did. Gardiner was also more refined in his defensive game. Both look like good players for the future though.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
They aren't really similar players, but Wiercioch should always take longer to develop because of his tall, lanky frame. He also took a life threatening puck to the neck last year...wasn't sure he'd even play again.

As far as paces you can say that Gardiner was more sheltered...but he was playing with the best his team had to offer on one of the better scoring teams in the league while Wiercioch has been playing on a limited offensive team. Wiercioch is still on pace for more points and twice as many goals while remaining a + player.

Is he a better prospect? Tough to say.

Wiercioch2Karlsson

Sep 13, 2010
Wiercioch's giraffe-like frame and lack of strength was really exposed tonight. Yikes. He can play sheltered PP minutes, but I'm terrified if he plays a regular shift in the playoffs when the play is much more physical. Don't get me wrong - a couple of years from now he should be adequately strong, but for now...

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
If everything goes well, he got Dennis Wideman potential

I don't think they're that comparable aside from the PMD aspect. Wiercioch's reach and wingspan give him a big advantage and its not like Wideman makes up for it by being more mobile. Wideman excels at getting pucks to the net but his shot isn't overwhelming like PW. Wier compares more to Alex Edler in my mind. Probably will never be elite in his own end but the ability to move the puck and create scoring chances more than makes up for it.

simplefan

May 25, 2008
I agree. That's a good comparison. They are both pretty mobile defenseman with good size. They are smooth and have a nice and hard shot. Patrick needs to mature defensively but if he's going this way, he's going to be a hell of a defenseman, besides Karlsson and Cowen. And I'm not even talking about Ceci....wow

I don't think they're that comparable aside from the PMD aspect. Wiercioch's reach and wingspan give him a big advantage and its not like Wideman makes up for it by being more mobile. Wideman excels at getting pucks to the net but his shot isn't overwhelming like PW. Wier compares more to Alex Edler in my mind. Probably will never be elite in his own end but the ability to move the puck and create scoring chances more than makes up for it.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I think Wier's a lot more like Kuba than people are willing to admit.

Both were big mobile puck movers with middling slapshots. Kuba also played a lot of tough minutes for us . Wier is more physical, but if he ends up with a career like Kuba I think we should be happy. Kuba has 300+ points and has played over 700 games.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think Wier's a lot more like Kuba than people are willing to admit.

Both were big mobile puck movers with middling slapshots. Kuba also played a lot of tough minutes for us . Wier is more physical, but if he ends up with a career like Kuba I think we should be happy. Kuba has 300+ points and has played over 700 games.

I see the comparison.

At his best, Kuba was a very good d-man for this team. While he didn't destroy people with hits, he was big enough to pin and hold and log minutes.

I do think Wiercioch has already shown a little bit more creativity offensively.

Kuba was dependable at both ends, but he didn't try anything interesting very often. Usually he lobbed the puck in from the point or put it in the corner.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I see the comparison.

At his best, Kuba was a very good d-man for this team. While he didn't destroy people with hits, he was big enough to pin and hold and log minutes.

I do think Wiercioch has already shown a little bit more creativity offensively.

Kuba was dependable at both ends, but he didn't try anything interesting very often. Usually he lobbed the puck in from the point or put it in the corner.

I would have liked to see Kuba more when he was younger and playing for the Wild. I didn't watch as much hockey then. By the time he played for the Sens he was already a Vet and made a lot of safe plays.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Wiercioch's giraffe-like frame and lack of strength was really exposed tonight. Yikes. He can play sheltered PP minutes, but I'm terrified if he plays a regular shift in the playoffs when the play is much more physical. Don't get me wrong - a couple of years from now he should be adequately strong, but for now...

Wiercioch hasn't really looked that out of his element, and keep in mind with Karlsson back next year we won't need him to play against the best players.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
He's playing with so much confidence right now. Sure, he might be benefiting from playing with Gonchar but dare I say the converse may be true also.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
Have as many points as fellow rookie and offensive dynamo Nail Yakupov while playing 2 less games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad